The Full Treble Project for MI5 Gemini
Brought to you by Jflte DevConnection Team
#include <std_disclaimer.h> /* * Your warranty is now void. * * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this TREBLE * SUPPORT before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. * */
What is Project Treble:
Project Treble basically partitions your device into two separate partitions, a system and a vendor: system contains your generic system image, while vendor partition has your device specific files required for booting and running your phone. This way we can easily change the system image and be able to run our device on different system images with the same kernel and vendor partition
Read more about Project Treble
Gemini hardware vs Treble implementation:
Gemini is an ARM64 and A-ONLY device. This means that regarding the GSI images (GSI = Generic System Image) to be used, you need to get ARM64 and A-ONLY system images.
Available GSI downloads:
Up today, thanks to @phhusson and other devs, are available a bunch of Android 9.0 system images that can be flashed on Gemini.
You can find these Gsi at the following links:
- ANDROID Q (Gsi)... Is just a preview... but it works on our Mi5!!
- Phh AOSP 9.0 (Gsi).
- Resurrection Remix v7.0 (Gsi).
- LineageOS 16.0 (Gsi).
- HavocOS v2.0 (Gsi) (Use A only).
- ViperOS v6.0 (Gsi) (Use A only).
- JDC AOSP 9.0 (PURE AOSP Gsi, built from sources, just for testing purpose, no gapps support for this preview version).
- GSI & sGSI List page
Treble implementation and download:
JDCTeam is working from latest months of 2017 to implement on Gemini (un-supported from producer) the full support of Treble.
Thanks to @sir mordred, we reached on MI5 the full working status... from v5 we moved to full versioned vndk v28 (aka PIE support... and Q ready!).
NOTE: just to be clear, it's a work in progress development...
We tested with some available Gsi and we put over here some links to these images.
We are sharing a TWRP flashable zip that include vendor and boot images (flash only through TWRP 3.2.3-0 Official).
NOTE: ONLY with TWRP 3.2.3-0 version is possible to handle the treble flash!How to use:
- Download the TREBLE zip provided here: Mediafire
- Download a GSI image (Remember: ARM64 and A-ONLY version)
- Reboot to recovery (TWRP 3.3.1-0 REQUIRED)
- Clean the device (wipe Dalvik/Cache/System/Data partitions)
- Flash Treble gemini zip
- Flash the GSI system image you wish to use
Youtube review: (To Be Updated when new links available)
- ANDROID Q Gsi on MI5 (How to Install) ---> Click here to play the video
- ANDROID Q Gsi on MI5 ---> Click here to play the video
- RR v7.0.0 Gsi on MI5 ---> Click here to play the video
- PHH AOSP 8.1 Gsi on MI5 ---> Click here to play the video
- AEX 8.1 Gsi on MI5 ---> Click here to play the video
What's working (... and not working):
The development is now @ an RC status (this is not a rom)... you have the possibility to have a look and test the phone with a GSI rom... let us know what does not work (not related to the GSI itself)!!
We already say that this is not the place to report issues or bugs ROM related... but in any case a bug encountered can be linked to the treble support not perfect or missing supported features... be free to post about issues you encountered, and please provide logs with the description of the issue. We will check the logs to understand the reason, and in case of fixes to be done, we will update on post#3 (MISCELLANEA) a kind of todo list for us and for users as a "bug list"... but the meaning is "what has to be checked/fixed to get a better treble support for future".
If you have any question about, please check first on the post#2 (FAQ) to see if your question has already an answer... if not, post in the thread and we will give you informations.
YouTube: JDCTeam TV
XDA News: Read article
- @sir mordred (developer)
- @musabcel (for his test support)
- Team Codefire - JDCTeam-Build03
GEMINI Full Treble support project, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 5
smeroni68, sir mordred, mzo, ktulu84
Source Code: https://github.com/Project-Treble-Mi5
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
ROM Firmware Required: Latest available
Based On: AOSP
Current Stable Version: v6
Stable Release Date: 2019-03-16
Last Updated 2019-06-27