[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL] TWRP for Xiaomi Mi 5

Search This thread

OwnageWOT

Aug 25, 2013
Bucharest
Hi,

When I boot into TWRP (3.2.1-1) shows an error "unable to mount storage" and then asks for encryption password and mounts encrypted partition. Does the error mean that it tries first to mount like a normal partition? Is it a relevant error?
Install version 3.0.2.2 it work and fix that error... Same error to me when i update twrp to last version.:good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-19-11-20-47.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-19-11-20-47.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2018-03-19-11-20-50.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-19-11-20-50.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: 4ronie4

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
When I boot into TWRP (3.2.1-1) shows an error "unable to mount storage" and then asks for encryption password and mounts encrypted partition. Does the error mean that it tries first to mount like a normal partition? Is it a relevant error?
Can you explain again what's happening? Decryption is no longer working? But then you say it mounts the encrypted partition?

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Sorry for bad explaination. Here you have the screenshot of the log.
That's perfectly normal. When TWRP fist boots it tries to mount data, but fails if it's encrypted. It then tries to decrypt with default password and if it doesn't match, it prompts for the user defined password. Go on with your live. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: andy356 and 4ronie4

Arahg

Mar 20, 2018
TWRP Error

Hi mates,

I'm new to this forum. I have a similar problem with TWRP 3.2.1-0.

When I boot into recovery there is this error:

Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto footer.
Failed to mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
Unable to recreate /data/media folder.

Updating partition details...
...done

Unable to mount storage
Full SELinux support is present.

Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps
MTP Enabled

ROM: LineageOS 15.1-20180226

My partition is not encrypted.

Greetings :)

Reactions: deboo117

drean

May 10, 2004
I have TWRP 3.2.1-1, and had Lineage-15.1-0305 nightly and Magisk 16.0 installed. I did a backup of all partitions, then installed the latest Lineage-15.1-0326.
It wasn't working out well for me, so I decided to roll back, and did a restore of all the partitions; but now my phone won't boot.

When I choose 'reboot' after the restore, TWRP asks "Install TWRP App?" and loops there if I choose 'Swipe to install'. If I choose 'Do not install', it just sits at the mi5 logo and doesn't progress (does not ask me for decryption password).

What am I doing wrong, and what should I do next?
(It's been this way for some time now, restores not working - but in the past, I was prepared to do a factory reset/full wipe, so I didn't think much about it...)

Last edited:

mapotn

Sep 11, 2016
hi folks,
just unlocked bootloader, because wanna install twrp and lineage 15
but i cant move on with installing twrp:

in windows after writing commmand adb devices
List of devices attached
8d536575 device
and I can see Android Compostite adb device in windows device manager so All looks fine

But once is phone restarted in fastmode
after writing commmand adb devices
i can see only empty line
therefore no success with flashing twrp image
C:\Users\XXX\Downloads>fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-1-gemini.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (23020 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.507s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.171s]
finished. total time: 0.681s

but actually nothing is done, its like dummy device connected
and I can see in windows device manager android bootloader inteface - which is good

tried kill adb etc. but no luck
USB debugging enabled in dev. options
15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3 installed
tried 2 different pcs
tried factory settings of MI5

please do you have idea what else should i check?

MOVZX

Jan 26, 2012
hi folks,

List of devices attached
8d536575 device
and I can see Android Compostite adb device in windows device manager so All looks fine

OKAY [ 0.507s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.171s]

and I can see in windows device manager android bootloader inteface - which is good

tried 2 different pcs

Try:

fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-1-gemini.img
THEN
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-1-gemini.img

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi 5 using XDA Labs

luisaosan

Jun 24, 2014
hi folks,

List of devices attached
8d536575 device

OKAY [ 0.507s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.171s]

tried 2 different pcs

In fastboot mode the right command isn't adb devices, but fastboot devices, try it and your phone will be shown

Have u tried manually entering the recovery (vol up + power) after flashing it?

Reactions: mapotn

mapotn

Sep 11, 2016
Hi Guys, thanks for answers:
sure I tried tried again vol up + power but there was still stock recovery yesterday

so i tried again fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-1-gemini.img
THEN
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-1-gemini.img
and tadaa, twrp loaded finaly
not sure why but it is working finaly, also with vol up + power

thanks guys

Reactions: deboo117

Jgruar

Aug 1, 2010
Are there some uncompatibilities with making a backup with vendor partition on a 7.1 rom? None of my backups will boot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

CHANGELOG for 3.3.1-0:

- Fix selinux issues during formatting - dianlujitao
    - Various fixes for toybox and toolbox builds - CaptainThrowback and bigbiff
    - Flash both A and B partitions when installing a recovery ramdisk - Dees_Troy
    - Add option to uninstall TWRP app from /system - Dees_Troy
    - Create digest for subpartitions - bigbiff

CHANGELOG for 3.3.0-0:

- Merge AOSP 9.0 r3 (Dees_Troy)
    - Use ANDROID_ROOT variable instead of hard coding to /system (CaptainThrowback)
    - Decrypt FBE on 9.0 and metadata decrypt (Dees_Troy)
    - vold decrypt updates (CaptainThrowback and nijel8)
    - Support vibration on LED class devices (notsyncing)
    - Metadata decrypt support for Pixel 3 (Dees_Troy)
    - Support rotating the display via build flag (vladimiroltean)
    - Reboot to EDL mode button (mauronofrio)
    - Support MTP on FFS devices (bigbiff)
    - Update FDE decrypt to support keymaster 3 and 4 (Dees_Troy)
    - Detect mkfs.f2fs version to properly format on f2fs partitions (Dees_Troy)
    - Allow TWRP to use md5 and sha256 checksums for zip installs (bigbiff)
    - TWRP can use /data/cache/recovery and /persist/cache/recovery on AB devices with no cache partition (bigbiff)
    - Switch part of advanced menus in TWRP to use a listbox of options (Dees_Troy)
    - Use magiskboot to allow repacking boot images for installing TWRP (Dees_Troy with thanks to topjohnwu of course)

CHANGELOG for 3.2.3-0:

- Fix automatic installing of OTA zips on encrypted devices
    - Remove SuperSU from TWRP
    - Support both md5 and md5sum file extensions when doing MD5 checking for zip files

CHANGELOG for 3.2.2-0:

- adb backup fixes
    - OTA style update zips will now install automatically without prompting for decrypt
    - minor tweaks to handling date/time on Qualcomm devices
    - updates to some language translations

CHANGELOG for 3.2.1-0:

- minui fixes (cryptomilk)
    - Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
    - Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
    - Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
    - Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot (jlask)

CHANGELOG for 3.2.0-0:

- Allow restoring adb backups in the TWRP GUI (bigbiff)
    - Fix gzip backup error in adb backups (bigbiff)
    - Fix a bug in TWRP's backup routines that occasionally corrupted backup files (nkk71)
    - Better support for installing Android 8.0 based zips due to legacy props (nkk71)
    - Support vold decrypt with keymaster 3.0 in 8.0 firmwares (nkk71)
    - Decrypt of synthetic passwords for Pixel 2 (Dees_Troy)
    - Support newer ext4 FBE policies for backup and restore in libtar (Dees_Troy)
    - v2 fstab support (Dees_Troy)
    - Bring TWRP forward to android 8.0 AOSP base (Dees_Troy)
    - Various other minor bugfixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 3.1.1-0:

-Backups will now include adopted storage keys (Dees_Troy)
    -Fixed an adb restore issue (bigbiff)
    -Fixed rebooting when no OS is present (Dees_Troy)
    -Fixed line wrapping in the GUI terminal (_that)
    -Updated TWRP source code to AOSP 7.1.2 (Dees_Troy)

CHANGELOG for 3.1.0-0:

-vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition's vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
    -adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here (bigbiff)
    -tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
    -support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
    -support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
    -better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
    -improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
    -minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
    -try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
    -shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
    -timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
    -support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
    -boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
    -TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
    -support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
    -support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
    -update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
    -numerous bugfixes and improvements by too many people to mention

CHANGELOG for 3.0.2-0:

-Fix a bug with the input box that affected masked inputs (passwords). This fixes decrypt of full device encryption on devices that support decrypt. This bug also impacts encrypted backups. Users are highly encouraged to stop using 3.0.1 if you use encrypted backups or if you need decrypt of data in TWRP.
    -Add Greek translation to some builds.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.1-0:

-support new CM 13.0 pattern encryption (sultanqasim)
    -fix slow flashing issue due to modprobe (present on only some devices) (#twrp)
    -libtar updated to latest upstream and fixes (jcadduono)
    -fixes for loading custom themes (_that)
    -TWRP will now detect and install TWRP themes automatically through the normal zip install process (Dees_Troy)
    -translation updates - added Italian, Czech and Polish and significant updates to Dutch
    -progress bar improvements - progress bar updates during image flashing and better tracks progress during file system backups (tar) (Dees_Troy)
    -fix input box text display (Dees_Troy)
    -reboot option after zip install complete (bigbiff)
    -other mostly invisible bug fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 3.0.0-0:

-Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
    -True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
    -Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
    -Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
    -Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
    -Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
    -SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
    -Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
    -Update AOSP base to 6.0
    -A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

WARNING: This is our first release in a long time. We have a lot of new and somewhat aggressive changes in this new release. The changes to the graphics back-end may cause some devices to not boot up properly or have other display-related issues. If you are not in a position to reflash an older build of TWRP, then wait until you are or at least wait until others have tried the new version for your specific device. You don’t want to end up with a non-working recovery and have to wait several hours or days to get to a computer to be able to fix it.

Notes for themers: In addition to the udpated theme, we have introduced a theme version variable to the TWRP theme system. If the theme version does not match the version that TWRP expects, TWRP will reject the custom theme and load its stock theme. This change will ensure that people who update TWRP without updating their theme will still have a workable recovery. We have removed libjpeg support. The stock theme was only using a jpeg image for the splash / curtain. This change means that any custom themes will no longer be able to use jpeg images. It also means that tools used to repack recovery images with a different curtain / splash will need to be updated to use the new method.

Version number notes: For a while we’ve been using a 4 digit version number and reserved the 4th digit for device-specific updates. For instance, we find and fix a device-specific issue like decryption of data on Nexus 5, we would release that as a 2.8.7.1. After a while, some people would start asking where 2.8.7.1 was for other devices. So, going forward we have decided to change the numbering scheme to 3.0.0-2, etc. Our hope is that this version numbering scheme will more clearly identify that the 4th digit does not indicate a version change for the code base.

We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

CHANGELOG for 2.8.7.0:

-Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
    -Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
    -Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
    -Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
    -Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
    -Add system read only option – more details below (Dees_Troy)
    -Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
    -Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

Note: As always, be sure your custom theme is up to date (or remove your custom theme) before updating TWRP.

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won’t prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won’t try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images don’t take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    Current and past versions of TWRP can be found at one of the mirrors below:
    - Primary (Recommended)
    - Primary (Backup)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    TWRP install (requires TWRP 2.8.4 or higher already installed):
    1) Download the latest version of TWRP appropriate for your device/firmware
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Install Image" button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find other alternative installation methods on our website (direct link to your device)!

BUGS:
    If you have an issue, the first step is to post a recovery log so we can determine the cause of the issue. This is done in recovery using Advanced -> Copy Log to SD, or adb pull /tmp/recovery.log. Once a log is uploaded we can determine how best to proceed.

If your issue is determined to be a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Xiaomi Mi 5, Device Specific App for the Xiaomi Mi 5

Contributors
    bgcngm

Version Information

Created 2016-07-06
    Last Updated 2018-07-04
    *** UNOFFICIAL TEST/PREVIEW RELEASES (INCLUDING CHANGELOG) ***

CHANGELOG for 3.0.3-0:

- Built with android-7.1 tree
    - Fixed compatibility with systemless SuperSU flashing on F2FS (thanks to @arter97 for the great finding)
    - Updated to the latest N crypto libs (backward compatibility with M preserved)
    So, it's finally here: TWRP 3.0.2-2 for Mi 5 is out, compatible with all panels and every firmware. Head over to the download site to get it: https://dl.twrp.me/gemini/.

I will now delete all the temporary test versions. Thanks to all testers and no thanks to Xiaomi. :cowboy:
    Just a heads-up: TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out. :cool:
    There's now a new version of TWRP for gemini. This is a maintenance release, after a long time without any device-specific changes. Head over to TWRP website, download and flash it as soon as possible. It's always advisable to update to the latest, but due to the latest *upstream* :)cowboy:) ramdisk updates, sooner or later everyone will be forced to in order to be able to mount data. Changelog is over here.