[FIX] How to solve "unable to mount data" error

Search This thread

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
Hey,

recently many are facing the problem to suddenly receive the above error and aren't able to solve it by formatting data (well, it cannot be mounted).

Here are the steps that I suggest in case you find yourself in that situation (obviously all data including internal storage content will be gone afterwards, so make external backups of important stuff if you can before continuing)

- (re-)flash lastest twrp (currently 3.2.1.1) via fastboot
- boot to recovery
- wipe dalvik, cache, vendor, system, data
- format data (the one where you need to type "yes")
- reboot to recovery before flashing anything
- now flash your stuff

This helped a few people already, but please comment if it also does (or doesn't) for you!

Cheers and greetings,
Phil the Thrill

aleksandar9999a

Jun 9, 2015
Ruse
I had this problem, but not always just formatting helps. First time when I install LOS 15.1 I didn't format internal storage then LOS crypt my storage and TWRP couldn't mount it and I can't just format it, I have error when I try to format it in ext4 by default. Then I try to format it to another file system and select ext2. TWRP succesful format data and then I select again to format it to ext4 and install other rom. I don't know why first time TWRP couldn't format data.

I use google translate. Sorry if I have misspellings

Phil_Smith

Oct 16, 2015
LG Optimus 4X HD
Xiaomi Mi 5
I had this problem, but not always just formatting helps. First time when I install LOS 15.1 I didn't format internal storage then LOS crypt my storage and TWRP couldn't mount it and I can't just format it, I have error when I try to format it in ext4 by default. Then I try to format it to another file system and select ext2. TWRP succesful format data and then I select again to format it to ext4 and install other rom. I don't know why first time TWRP couldn't format data.

I use google translate. Sorry if I have misspellings
I didn't just suggest to format anything...
The important thing is to reflash twrp via fastboot.
The point is that after doing this you might even be able at all again to format data...
If you follow the further steps I think you're good to go and don't need to change any file system.

Last edited:

Gonc@lo

Jan 12, 2018
Hey,

recently many are facing the problem to suddenly receive the above error and aren't able to solve it by formatting data (well, it cannot be mounted).

Here are the steps that I suggest in case you find yourself in that situation (obviously all data including internal storage content will be gone afterwards, so make external backups of important stuff if you can before continuing)

- boot to recovery
- now flash your stuff

This helped a few people already, but please comment if it also does (or doesn't) for you!

Cheers and greetings,
Phil the Thrill

Thats because maybe on a backup you select another storage that nota the internal storage....maybe you select otg storage ir something....put the selection on Internal storage....and it resolves

Stonner_99

May 9, 2018
I've same problem in my redmi note 4 (mido). I tried the same but it not works.
After update of resurrection remix oreo (30-05-2018), I unable to install any zip through twrp.It shows "unable to mount /vendor". I also search for vendor partition in mount menu but I cant found any options for it.
If you found any solution plz tell me......... thanks

Hutabarat

Mar 8, 2017
I've same problem in my redmi note 4 (mido). I tried the same but it not works.
After update of resurrection remix oreo (30-05-2018), I unable to install any zip through twrp.It shows "unable to mount /vendor". I also search for vendor partition in mount menu but I cant found any options for it.
If you found any solution plz tell me......... thanks

me either, my problem. RRD. pls anyhelp?

Last edited:

CHoozen

Aug 2, 2018
Klaten
This maybe can help,
first i enter wipe menu on twrp and advanced wipe, mark data partition then repair or change file system, after that change file system, change to what ever except ext4 (i use ext2 one) then change again to ext 4. Done you get data partition back
*this method will wipe your data on that partition

the ghost2017

Mar 18, 2017
solution about unable to mount data on s7 edge

Hi,
Make sure to do a backup of your data, all data will be erased
after many attempts to find the solution
i tried to go to recovery latest twrp:
go to wipe
select data
for me i choosed ext3 and make repair
than i select Fat and again ext3
you can choose another file system

Thank you

Last edited:

wellwisher_a

Nov 17, 2016
Thanks this worked for me

This is the best answer to solve the problem:

This maybe can help,
first i enter wipe menu on twrp and advanced wipe, mark data partition then repair or change file system, after that change file system, change to what ever except ext4 (i use ext2 one) then change again to ext 4. Done you get data partition back

Wachuwey

May 14, 2019
This worked for me.

- boot to recovery
- now flash your stuff

I was in Xiaomi.EU 9.3.28 in a "encrypted storage" situation
After messing it up I endend in a situation where I can not mount the data partition.
Follow your steps and now I'm setting up xiaomi.eu 9.5.9 without a problem.

Thank you very much.

lorcopotia

Mar 10, 2011
Barcelona
This worked for me.

- boot to recovery
- now flash your stuff

After messing it up I endend in a situation where I can not mount the data partition.

Thank you very much.

Thanks to you I was able to recover my wife's Redmi 5. Cheers :good:

jamesSora19

Sep 21, 2019
could not mount data and unable to find crypto error

Good morning guys im using Xiaomi Redmi note 4x(mido) i installed LineageOS 15.1 then the gapps, but the google photos and other google apps keep crashing and recommended me to uninstall and install again. so i wen to twrp and installed the gapps again, then it keeps crashing again. so what i did is to wipe in twrp then installed linneage and the gapps but when rebooting it asked my password then after than i can't no longer boot it keep sayingf could not mount/data and unable to find crypto. i tried all the steps and fix i found here and in other sites but it does not work when i try changing it to other file system it says mke2fs -t ext3 -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p49, and error 64. Please help thank you

Adityakasera

Aug 1, 2020
Still not able to mount storage.

Hey,

- boot to recovery
- now flash your stuff

Cheers and greetings,
Phil the Thrill

I tried everything that is:
-changing file system also gives "unable to mount storage " in every format like fat, ext2, ext3, ext4.
-factory reset also gives same error "unable to mount storage"
-I also tried different recovery.
Please someone help me!!!

IAmScorpionz

Oct 2, 2017
Jakarta
This worked for me.

- boot to recovery
- now flash your stuff

Thank you very much.

Format data solved everything. But before format data, you better backup all your files. Because all of it will be erased like new.

Thank you.

Giulik

Apr 15, 2014
This maybe can help,

I LOVE YOU!!! U saved me when nothing worked. Ty so much !!

Ayax28

Jul 29, 2018
Santiago
Hey King,

I do not use a Redmi Note 8, yet I had the same problem with my Moto G5 Plus.

Until I read your post and now my phone works.

Thank you!

Jan 4, 2022
Hi, i have TWRP 3.6.0 installed on my mi 11 lite (courbet), and then it shows "unable to mount /data". I know, formatting helps, but what to do if i don't want to format it, only i want to update the rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

- boot to recovery
    - now flash your stuff

Cheers and greetings,
    Phil the Thrill
    This maybe can help,
    This worked for me.

- boot to recovery
    - now flash your stuff

Thank you very much.
    me either, my problem. RRD. pls anyhelp?

Hi, I had the same problem. (Redmi Note 4, Mido)
    But after installing RedWolf (Build 27)
    with adb/fastboot and everything works fine - without formating everything.