FORUMS

[MAGISK] Thermal Throttle Mod [UPDATED]

476 posts
Thanks Meter: 227

By ~N.A.W.Y~, Senior Member on 14th July 2017, 11:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Why?
Well, i've found the stock values pretty limiting. Phone was slowing down pretty fast while under load. So i decided to make this mod.

How?(FOR ANDROID M-N)
(MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BACKUP OF THESE FILES)

Simply just go over to system/etc and delete these 2 files (If you cannot delete these files in any root file manager, do it in TWRP file manager.)
"thermal-engine-8996.conf"
"thermal-engine-8996-a1.conf"
You can't set values for Android 6-7 ROMs. However, you can disable SW thermal throttling completely instead.

How?(FOR ANDROID O)
(MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BACKUP OF THESE FILES)

Go to system/vendor/etc , find "thermal-engine-8996.conf" or "thermal-engine-8996-lite.conf" if you have 32 gb variant of Mi5.

These are the values that can be changed by the user,

For CPU,

[SS-CLUSTER1-SP0]

CLUSTER1 stands for BIG core, and CLUSTER0 stands for SMALL cores
The number at the end of SP stands for thermal throttling level. 0 Is the first one kicks in, 2 is the last one.

sampling= Default is 250, which means phone will reflesh temprature values every 250 miliseconds. You dont have to change this one.
sensor= xo_therm_buf sensor stands for Mainboard - SoC temp reading.
set_point= This is the one we need for changing thermal values. default 1st level thermal throttle value is 43000, which stands for 43c.
device_perf_floor= Specifies the frequency of the cpu in it's current thermal throttle level. 1478400 means phone will limit 1478 mhz during the first thermal throttle level, until temp goes down under the specified temprature.

[SKIN-SS-CPUS-ALL-1]

The set_point value in this section defines at which temp limit phone gonna turn off one of the cores, to decrease temp in extreme conditions. Mine is set to 57000, stands for 57c for mainboard temp.

For GPU,

[SS-GPU]

The set_point value in this section will set the thermal limit for the GPU. Mine is set to 55000.

These are the all of the values that can be changed by the user, DO NOT touch the other values except these ones.

MAGISK

If you don't want to mess around with all these settings, I've made a magisk module with my personal settings. You can extract thermal-engine-8996(-lite).conf file and set values you want and add it back into zip file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8Q...w?usp=drivesdk

NEW:
My new extreme settings, throttling will start from 60c SoC temp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H58...w?usp=drivesdk

NOTES:
1) I am not responsible for any damages may occur. YOU ARE the one choosing to make this modification. Be careful.
2) Works on every ROM.
2) Since the CPU and GPU will still have the HW temp limit, the only thing you should keep your eye at is your battery temprature. As long as you dont pass 50c battery temp, everything should be okay. Avoid to charge the phone when battery temp is more than 50c otherwise battery may start losing it's lifespan.
3) This trick does not trigger safetynet. I've tested it and safetynet still passes with this modification.
4) This trick might work with other Snapdragon devices as well. You can try it, but make sure to have a backup.[/SIZE]
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ~N.A.W.Y~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~N.A.W.Y~ Ad-Free
14th July 2017, 11:58 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 204

More
Fastest way to broke device. Awesome tut man...
The Following User Says Thank You to alreadyregistered For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alreadyregistered Ad-Free
14th July 2017, 12:03 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Çanakkale

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyregistered

Fastest way to broke device. Awesome tut man...

As i said in the notes section, people are choosing to make this modification. This is also what XDA stands for, making experiments and sharing with other people.

In my personal experience, i've been using this modification for more than 5 months and no issue so far.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~N.A.W.Y~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~N.A.W.Y~ Ad-Free
14th July 2017, 12:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 204

More
But it's not mod. It's deleting system files. It probably cause a lot of bugs and reports to logcat causing slowing system/using more battery..
Only 'safe' way to do it is via KERNEL settings.
14th July 2017, 12:21 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Çanakkale

More
I've never faced any log loops or errors/slowdowns within 5 months of usage. Also it will use more battery not because of errors but no thermal throttling and running at highest speed when needed.

Kernel settings WONT override on these software based TT files. They work in Kernel with the HW level thermal throttling.
24th January 2018, 07:45 PM |#6  
Flag Chittagong
Thanks Meter: 85

More
I am trying to play some high graphics games for some days and thermal throttling just wouldn't let me.
Cpu reached 60C in 10 minutes and phone lagged like hell.

I just deleted the thermal engine files and throttling seems to be disabled.
I have gone up to 75° foe GPU and CPU.

But I am kinda worried that I will fry my cpu :/

How much temperature do you think it's safe up to?
26th January 2018, 06:57 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I wonder to know how to modify the threshold value of temp control,the frequency of cpu drops to 1500/1100Mhz at about 50°C(cpu temp),this freq should at 70 C.The temp files are all encrypted.
25th February 2018, 10:11 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Çanakkale

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongla

I am trying to play some high graphics games for some days and thermal throttling just wouldn't let me.
Cpu reached 60C in 10 minutes and phone lagged like hell.

I just deleted the thermal engine files and throttling seems to be disabled.
I have gone up to 75° foe GPU and CPU.

But I am kinda worried that I will fry my cpu :/

How much temperature do you think it's safe up to?

Technically the SoC is safe even if software based thermal throttling totally disabled. There's still HW one, which will trigger and shut down phone in dangerous temps.

But as a general rule, cpu and gpu shouldn't stay over 90c for too long.

(Check tsens_tz_sensor3 for little core temp, and tsens_tz_sensor8 for big core temp. You can use AIDA or cpu z to check those sensors.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyMcat

I wonder to know how to modify the threshold value of temp control,the frequency of cpu drops to 1500/1100Mhz at about 50°C(cpu temp),this freq should at 70 C.The temp files are all encrypted.

A modded throttle config file coming up tomorrow, there will be 2 different versions;

First one will follow the stock thermal throttling handling, which is based on xo_therm_buf sensor. (Basically the SoC - mainboard thermal control, cpu temps will be ignored)

Second one will priotize cpu temps for throttling, ignoring mainboard temps (which i dont recommend, since high mainboard temp can damage other components near the SoC.

I'll also explain how to control thermal throttling values later, it's pretty easy.

MI 5 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~N.A.W.Y~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~N.A.W.Y~ Ad-Free
26th February 2018, 12:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~N.A.W.Y~

Technically the SoC is safe even if software based thermal throttling totally disabled. There's still HW one, which will trigger and shut down phone in dangerous temps.

But as a general rule, cpu and gpu shouldn't stay over 90c for too long.

(Check tsens_tz_sensor3 for little core temp, and tsens_tz_sensor8 for big core temp. You can use AIDA or cpu z to check those sensors.)

A modded throttle config file coming up tomorrow, there will be 2 different versions;

First one will follow the stock thermal throttling handling, which is based on xo_therm_buf sensor. (Basically the SoC - mainboard thermal control, cpu temps will be ignored)

Second one will priotize cpu temps for throttling, ignoring mainboard temps (which i dont recommend, since high mainboard temp can damage other components near the SoC.

I'll also explain how to control thermal throttling values later, it's pretty easy.

MI 5 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Wow, nice Finally someone will explain all Im playin Mobile Legends and in every rom i tried i have to delete 2 thermal configs to play this game.. without deleting after 5min my game is lagging like sh*t :| I dont have thermal configs now for like 3 months or more and nothing happen, phone is not even hot when im playin' I cant wait for ur configs and test it by myself. cheers!
26th February 2018, 02:39 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Çanakkale

More
Thread updated, Now you can use magisk to override thermal throttle values systemlessly. Also i've added instructions section if you want to do it yourself.

Edit: There was a issue with permissions of the magisk file, now it should be working!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~N.A.W.Y~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~N.A.W.Y~ Ad-Free
12th March 2018, 02:50 AM |#11  
Flag Semarang
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~N.A.W.Y~

Thread updated, Now you can use magisk to override thermal throttle values systemlessly. Also i've added instructions section if you want to do it yourself.

Edit: There was a issue with permissions of the magisk file, now it should be working!

i'm on nougat rom now, so i just replaced the thermal engine with this mod or what? bcs i noticed the name files was different, original file names thermal-engine-8996-a1.conf, and your mod thermal-engine-8996-lite.conf
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)