FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlocking Xiaomi Mi 5 bootloader (with pictures)

345 posts
Thanks Meter: 307

By TheUltrametricSpace, Senior Member on 14th March 2016, 09:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Unlock Xiaomi Mi 5 Bootloader (with Screenshots)

Introduction
There are some myths and misbeliefs around unlocking the Xiaomi Mi 5. And as I got lucky and got my Mi 5 early and unlocked it, I will share some screenshots as well as my opinion on this matter.

What shall I do? How to increase my chances?
Right now there is no custom ROM, and if you want root access, you can get it through the Security App of MIUI. So that means you can spend the next weeks to become a Diamond member on the forum, post a bit everyday and you get it fast. As Diamond members on the MIUI forum are whitelisted, it will increase your chances.

Good to know, good to have
  • Your MI Account must be allowed to unlock phones
  • One Account can Unlock one phone within 30 days
  • Xiaomi Mi5 with Chinese Rom installed
  • MI Unlock App

How to get the unlock Permission
Click here: http://en.miui.com/unlock

How to get the unlock Tool
Click here: http://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

Mi unlock tutorial and F.A.Q.
Click here: Mi Devices Bootloader Unlocking Tutorial & English Unlocking Tool Download

Screenshots

Question and Answers:

Q: Will the bootloader be locked after I update?
A: Not out of the box, so no.

Q: Can I lock the bootloader again?
A: Yes, the Fastboot-ROM includes a flash_all_lock script

Q: Can one Mi Account unlock several phones?
A: Yes and No. One Mi Account can unlock one phone every 30 days.

Q: Does the fingerprint scanner work after unlock?
A: Yes, I noticed no difference, so far it works like a charm.

Q: Why do I need / want an unlocked bootloader?
A: It allows you to flash custom Recovery and Custom ROMs as well as use the Mi-Flash tool.

Q: Is the Mi 5 encrypted?
A: By default it is yes. (See the following screenshot)

Screenshot of Privacy setting page (Shows that phone is encrypted)

... If you have questions please ask. Someone will answer em for sure.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to TheUltrametricSpace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheUltrametricSpace Ad-Free

14th March 2016, 12:57 PM |#2  
Flag Taranto
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Man, I didn't see you before on xiaomi.eu or mi2s section but guys like YOU are the reason why this community is alive. In less than a day you have cleared up all my doubts about mi5 wich I was wondering as my next purchase. Now I nearly have no doubts (only price).
So let me say you a huge THANK YOU. This start is what I call a "good star" for this device

Back on topic, I have a decent number of posts on en.miui.com and far less on miui.com do you think this is taken into consideration when evaluating the unlock request by xiaomi engineers? I've heard so. Did you receive the unlock code by sms or it was instant as shown in your slides?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oile For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oile Ad-Free
14th March 2016, 01:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tromso

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oile

Man, I didn't see you before on xiaomi.eu or mi2s section but guys like YOU are the reason why this community is alive. In less than a day you have cleared up all my doubts about mi5 wich I was wondering as my next purchase. Now I nearly have no doubts (only price).
So let me say you a huge THANK YOU. This start is what I call a "good star" for this device

Back on topic, I have a decent number of posts on en.miui.com and far less on miui.com do you think this is taken into consideration when evaluating the unlock request by xiaomi engineers? I've heard so. Did you receive the unlock code by sms or it was instant as shown in your slides?

I had a Mi4i (for about a month or so) and was in the MIUI Device team with ~900 Credits, but as the hardware failed I sold the Mi4i last summer. Since then I was more or less inactive on http://en.miui.com/forum.php ... When the apply for unlocking came out sometime in December / January, I asked to get the unlock allowance, but forgot about it. So I can't remember at all, and am of no help.

A friend got a Redmi Note 3 (Pro), has an MI account with only ~80 Credits and got the unlock allowance quite fast. (around a week)
He did receive a message on his phone today:

I have read that there some claim you need at least ~300 credits so that myth got proven wrong with his unlock. But I don't get the pattern. I have no idea how it works.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheUltrametricSpace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheUltrametricSpace Ad-Free
14th March 2016, 07:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
What ROM do you have installed?
14th March 2016, 08:46 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tromso

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiflao

What ROM do you have installed?

There is only one ROM for the Mi5 and that's the China ROM (stable). I am on 7.2.6 right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheUltrametricSpace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheUltrametricSpace Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 01:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Mate on the second image i see "checking if your Mi Account has permission" have you made something to get permissions? Because i read somewhere that for unlocking bootloader you need a particular status on Miui forum...thanks in advance!
15th March 2016, 07:19 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
http://www.miui.com/unlock/

Is there an English version of this website?

nvm, found it:
http://en.miui.com/unlock/

Doesn't seem to work though
The Following User Says Thank You to Dsteppa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dsteppa Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 10:47 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've asked for permission with just 40 credits. Let's see what they reply in about 10 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gfsLuc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gfsLuc Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 02:06 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tromso

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedyBenoitPeace

Mate on the second image i see "checking if your Mi Account has permission" have you made something to get permissions? Because i read somewhere that for unlocking bootloader you need a particular status on Miui forum...thanks in advance!

Hey,

very well observed. You have to apply for an unlock. I will edit the first post and try to make it more clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheUltrametricSpace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheUltrametricSpace Ad-Free
17th March 2016, 09:25 PM |#10  
Flag Konjic
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsLuc

I've asked for permission with just 40 credits. Let's see what they reply in about 10 days.

Ha ha ha we have the same chances,i have 70 points
18th March 2016, 12:58 AM |#11  
Flag Udine
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Just a quick question... i'm planning to buy an MI5 when the pro version will be released: i've around 170 credits on their forum, and i'm slowly grinding up to 500 in order to achieve diamond membership because i heard that if you're a diamond member your request will be more likely accepted...
Now, for example, if you get declined for the bootloader unlock can you just apply again? you have to wait some time? or you can't apply anymore?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)