Xiaomi Mi5S camera hardware issue

Search This thread

danimihalca

Oct 10, 2010
Baia Mare
Hi guys.

I have some hardware-related issues with my camera for 6 months now.
The main problem was that the camera was unfocused on the left side while trying to take distant photos (even while trying to do shoot something in Manual mode).
I've tried different camera apps (and ROMs) and had the same results.
Afterwards, I removed the back panel and while trying to clean up the camera lens, I accidentally pressed the camera a little and heard a small tick and then I concluded that the camera was somehow popped out. Then the focus reverted back to normal.
But this issue seems to reappear every few days, and it gets very annoying when you try to take a nice photo and see that the image will be blurred (since I don't take the screwdriver, sim removal tool and the case removal tool everywhere with me). In the end, it gets fixed if I apply the steps above, but this happened to often in the past weeks.
I don't have any warranty since I've bought the phone directly from China before it was officially available for the international market.
Since this seems to be a hardware related issue, I tried to contact 2 local services, but they didn't seem very reliable.
Afterwards I thought to replace the camera myself, but I don't seem to find anywhere only the camera component and a good tutorial how to replace it.
Do you perhaps know where to find some spare parts and how to replace them?
Or did somebody else had this issue and manage to find a workaround to fix it?

Thanks!

danimihalca

Oct 10, 2010
Baia Mare
I also thought it was hardware issue in my case but after 3-4 MIUI updates it works as intended.

Wysłane z mojego MI 5s przy użyciu Tapatalka

Did you have the same problem as me?

Well, I reverted in the past to a previous TWRP ROM backup from a date where I didn't have this issue and it was still present (I'm currently on xiaomi.eu for about 6 months now).
I have to press the internal camera (the black plastic region near the lenses https://i1.wp.com/www.xiaomitoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/mi-5s-teardown22.jpg ) to make it work again.
Hearing that click every time it gets fixed makes me think that is a mechanical issue somewhere inside, not a software one.
Also, my phone took a couple of falls, this could explain this misbehavior sometimes.

Last edited:

ubkorkut

Sep 14, 2017
I have the same issue.

I shake the phone strongly back and forth until i hear camera lens move. Then it focusses.

danimihalca

Oct 10, 2010
Baia Mare
Update.

After a while, some black spots appeared while taking photos and with the above mentioned issues, I concluded that dirt entered somehow between the camera lenses. (I think that was the reason why the camera couldn't focus well at distance).
I ordered a camera from aliexpress, replaced it, and now everything works fine.

naser_cbe

Apr 15, 2013
Dubai
Update.

After a while, some black spots appeared while taking photos and with the above mentioned issues, I concluded that dirt entered somehow between the camera lenses. (I think that was the reason why the camera couldn't focus well at distance).
I ordered a camera from aliexpress, replaced it, and now everything works fine.

hi, can you please provide me link of the camera module that you ordered in aliexpress ?