Blinking Red Led Of Death. [Might Be Solved]

Search This thread

bmx22c

Nov 22, 2013
OnePlus One
Honor 7
Hi, I just had this problem !
I forgot to plug it in last night and it was blinking red without display.
If I plug it via USB (no power brick, only USB port), it powers up but only display the battery indicator, displaying 0% all the time. Rebooting itself sometimes, displaying "50%" without charge, and then again 0%.
I tried to let it for an hour or so, without luck.
I could boot to TWRP, but it doesn't even recognize the battery at all.

And then I asked myself, well, let's try with the powerbrick !
Immediately after I plugged it in, it said 1% ! Then 4%, and I could boot !

PS: I tried "plug/unplug usb with power button in" without luck.

NotCat_

Dec 6, 2017
Nexus 7 (2013)
LG G2 Mini
If I plug it via USB (no power brick, only USB port), it powers up but only display the battery indicator, displaying 0% all the time. Rebooting itself sometimes, displaying "50%" without charge, and then again 0%.

Thanks for your solution. Maybe its gonna be useful to someone with the same problem. :)

weresgyufa

Oct 12, 2006
Miskolc
Hello, just a dumb idea... Have some of you trying to replace the battery ?? In another brand, a similar "game" was made whit me, the phone uses SD805 SoC and it was playing no boot. After I changed the buttery, the phone was good as new. I think this could be the same here.

Dalthor

Sep 7, 2011
Zagreb
I just had the red led blinking problem on my wife's Mi 5s.
Charging through the night didnt help, nor did changing the chargers or cables.
Battery had 3,9V so I knew the battery was OK.
The solution was to disconnect the battery and the cable, and to hold the power button for about 1-2 minutes. the I just connected the battery (not the cable) and clicked power button again, and I Mi logo appeared on screen, phone booted normally and battery was at 50%.

I almost bought a new phone after trying all the suggestions, but thankfully I decided to try one more and it worked, hope it helps someone

NotCat_

Dec 6, 2017
Nexus 7 (2013)
LG G2 Mini
I just had the red led blinking problem on my wife's Mi 5s.
Charging through the night didnt help, nor did changing the chargers or cables.
Battery had 3,9V so I knew the battery was OK.
The solution was to disconnect the battery and the cable, and to hold the power button for about 1-2 minutes. the I just connected the battery (not the cable) and clicked power button again, and I Mi logo appeared on screen, phone booted normally and battery was at 50%.

I almost bought a new phone after trying all the suggestions, but thankfully I decided to try one more and it worked, hope it helps someone
Nice to hear that you fixed your device! :)

PRemBh0i

Jan 22, 2019
Rohini
From what i've found that this problem isn't related to a Single malfunction, The RED Blinking light could denote that the battery is discharged [So it needs charge] second this also have been related with the Power Section of the MOBO, simply i removed some of the short resistance and Capacitors and the mobo booted up and another one by replacing the battery, so far i've fixed 3 of these phones in the last 2 months and haven't seen the customer coming back for the same phone again instead he came for another one i asked him if the phone note 4 he had was working fine or not? He still have it and it's still working. So it's better to begin with the charging->then the battery replacement-> then the power section of the mobo which get ****ed up by overheating in extreme usage or using while charging. Hope this helps. And OP you're such a great Asshole.

NotCat_

Dec 6, 2017
Nexus 7 (2013)
LG G2 Mini
From what i've found that this problem isn't related to a Single malfunction, The RED Blinking light could denote that the battery is discharged [So it needs charge] second this also have been related with the Power Section of the MOBO, simply i removed some of the short resistance and Capacitors and the mobo booted up and another one by replacing the battery, so far i've fixed 3 of these phones in the last 2 months and haven't seen the customer coming back for the same phone again instead he came for another one i asked him if the phone note 4 he had was working fine or not? He still have it and it's still working. So it's better to begin with the charging->then the battery replacement-> then the power section of the mobo which get ****ed up by overheating in extreme usage or using while charging. Hope this helps. And OP you're such a great Asshole.
Haha, thanks i guess. I have a new phone now (Mi A2) and no problems with it whats soo ever. Well except wifi, but that problem requires its own thread.

But thanks for letting us know more about this problem, not alot of information could be found about this issue. At least i couldn't find anything when this issue happened to me.

Sold the phone without display for 10€ ;D

theroofkorean

Apr 17, 2019
The red light indicator comes up when battery level is critical. I suspect that the issue lays in the device trying to go in "the battery indicator mode". The battery voltage is too low to power the screen + internals combo, so it turns itself off or the device senses too low voltage to operate. It senses that the charger is connected, tries to light up, dies once again and stays stuck in this loop until the voltage is just about right. It's pretty much a russian roulette. To fix the issue as fast as possible, your charger needs to provide voltage greater than usual to make the device boot right away. My way of dealing with the issue is a short DIY USB cable to minimize the voltage drop (you should make it as short as you can) and a 2.1A Kingston adapter (the original adapter should work just fine though). After connecting with said cable to the adapter, the device boots in a matter of seconds. This solution works 100% of the time and I've had a couple of those with my redmi note 4x.
Keep it mind that this happens for a reason and you shouldn't allow your battery to fully discharge in order to get the most out of your battery's lifespan.

Last edited:

kaboom83

Mar 8, 2019
Weird chain of events for my red light blink event on my 2 year old Xiaomi Mi 5S Plus:
-On evening of 10.7. I updated my LineageOS to latest daily while charging the battery to 100%
-Started the next day with some 95% battery
-End of day I weirdly only have 32% left - Usually I have between 60-70%
-I charge to 100% using QC3.0 charger, it takes its normal time.
-Thinking the battery drain was due to some app - but there are none listed on the integrated battery control... I restart the phone while still plugged in.
-Phone boots and now shows 50% battery. Unplug + re-plug ... Now it's not charging at all. I restart the phone again.
-Phone does not boot!

-When I try turning it on, I just get a single blink of the red LED some seconds later.
-No button combination wakes it up.
-Holding the button down and unplug re-plug charging does not wake it up.
-Tried with different cables, QC3.0 charger, regular 5V 2.4A charger. Tried charging for hours. Same result.

-Opened the phone.
-Unplugged the battery.
-Connected the charging cable. Waited some minutes.
-Re-plugged the battery. Waited some minutes.
-Phone now boots with 80% battery. :silly:

Updated LineageOS to 13.07. and will keep an eye on it...

Last edited:

YoSoyYoMismo

Nov 27, 2018
Just if anyone is facing this problem, it can be caused by a bad power IC chip. I had a mi5 with that problem. The solution is change the power IC chip, which cost like 2 dolars in aliexpress, but you will need special tools to change it. You can search videos in youtube. I couldn't find any store that did it, and I asked in like 7 or 8 stores. So I end up selling it for replacements...

maniakjabuek

Feb 28, 2018
I have Mi5s Plus and I had the same problem - turned off at 1%, I attempted to charge few hours later and just red light blinking with 0% battery symbol no matter how long I was "charging" it..
What I've done to fix it:
1) Open up the phone
2) Disconnected the battery and hold power button for approx. 30 seconds and connected it afterwards.
3) Got an iPad charger (5,2V and 2,4A), it has to be sth like this, I tried with 4 different ones, and Samsung Adaptive Charger - no luck. It should have voltage higher than 5V and amperage min. 2,4A.
4) Voilá! It started charging normally, after 10 minutes I had 8% :)

Andrew2014567

Jan 27, 2020
Y'all here may say that it is impossible to fix..WELL TAKE IT , i fixed ittttt!!!!! OHHHHHHHHH!!! All you have to do is to remove the battery and connect it to pc , and flash it woth miflash, thank me later... ;) ;)

Well ok, you might say WTF , why to trust you? Well if u don't trust me , try it on your own! See ya , thank me later :laugh:

cravmaga

Feb 3, 2020
Hi all, I have the same red blinking issue with my mi5s and this is happening for the second time. For the first time, I solved it by chance while I was trying the above solutions. But for now, there is no chance I tried every single way. By the way, my screen is also dead. When I plug the phone I have just red blinks. Now my question is, how can I just copy the data on the phone to my laptop? Is there any chance? But please remember the screen is also dead

Andrew2014567

Jan 27, 2020
Hi all, I have the same red blinking issue with my mi5s and this is happening for the second time. For the first time, I solved it by chance while I was trying the above solutions. But for now, there is no chance I tried every single way. By the way, my screen is also dead. When I plug the phone I have just red blinks. Now my question is, how can I just copy the data on the phone to my laptop? Is there any chance? But please remember the screen is also dead

Put a cable or a wore on the second wire inside the usb connection, and connect it to your pc

bugggmenot

Feb 24, 2014
Tehran
Help Please!

My device is at the same state, blinking red LED while in charge or when power button is pressed.
i did everything here was mentioned here. i removed battery and then connected it to PC, it shows 0% all the time no matter how much i wait. i could go to fastboot, so i went there and tried to flash stock recovery and TWRP recovery, neither was able to be flashed (error: Partition flashing is not allowed).
so i flashed fastboot rom and it was successfully flashed and restarted, but after restart, it just reboot non stop, without showing the 0% i previously talked about.i still can go to fastboot but now i cant even flash the same rom again!! neither recovery.

now if i connect the battery while it is in charge, phone shuts down immediately. as soon as i remove battery , phone wakes up and starts rebooting. before flashing rom, i could connect the battery while charging, but it did not charge.

So, what's happening?

Reactions: NotCat_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Comment here if u have had The Blinking Red Led Of Death and how it happened. :)

What is blinking red led of death? Well i am glad u asked!

First of all, your phone is dead get over it. Lol

Secondly...

Its when your phone randomly switches off and doesnt power on much like hard brick but red led keeps on blinking and you are left with red led and black screen. You are probably thinking...

-Sheiit.. why dont you just flash the phone with miflash?

Beatch please.

Even if you flash the phone... Nothing changes. It says it was successfull, but doesnt boot up and it doesnt show u anything.

-Well alright... What about ADB/Fastboot?

Haha! No. Same story. Says it was successfull but still doesnt boot.

Maybe you are the one of lucky poeple who will get it booting up. But thats unlikely. (Much positivity much wow)

-Well how do i fix it?

Well in all honesty... U cant.
    There are few poeple who had success with charging it for 6+ hours and holding the power button for 2-6 minutes, but it didnt work for me soo...

The only way that i know of 100% fixing this problem is replacing the mother board.

-But it costs like 100€!

Buy a used mi 5s with broken screen or just bootlooped u cheap bastard! Ebay is your friend Atm.

If i find a fix i will post here.

If not. I will sell my mi 5s for parts... Maybe i will get few bucks soo i could kms.

You better start digging a grave for your beloved Mi 5/s because that LED is coming for you.
    Comment here if u have had The Blinking Red Led Of Death and how it happened. :)

What is blinking red led of death? Well i am glad u asked!

First of all, your phone is dead get over it. Lol

Secondly...

Its when your phone randomly switches off and doesnt power on much like hard brick but red led keeps on blinking and you are left with red led and black screen. You are probably thinking...

-Sheiit.. why dont you just flash the phone with miflash?

Beatch please.

Even if you flash the phone... Nothing changes. It says it was successfull, but doesnt boot up and it doesnt show u anything.

-Well alright... What about ADB/Fastboot?

Haha! No. Same story. Says it was successfull but still doesnt boot.

Maybe you are the one of lucky poeple who will get it booting up. But thats unlikely. (Much positivity much wow)

-Well how do i fix it?

Well in all honesty... U cant.
    There are few poeple who had success with charging it for 6+ hours and holding the power button for 2-6 minutes, but it didnt work for me soo...

The only way that i know of 100% fixing this problem is replacing the mother board.

-But it costs like 100€!

Buy a used mi 5s with broken screen or just bootlooped u cheap bastard! Ebay is your friend Atm.

If i find a fix i will post here.

If not. I will sell my mi 5s for parts... Maybe i will get few bucks soo i could kms.

You better start digging a grave for your beloved Mi 5/s because that LED is coming for you.

"First of all, your phone is dead get over it. Lol"

You are a fool. Period.

I cannot stand people like you spreading misinformation.

NO ONE listen to this person. Your phone is NOT dead and there is not any issue with the motherboard.

This happens from over discharging your battery, usually in hot weather. The guy stabbed his screen with a screwdriver like a child, this is not someone you should be taking advice from.

Plug and unplug the phone repeatedly while holding the power button. That will get it charging again.

*edit*

Ugh, you really piss me off. I really wish there was some sort of lesson you could be taught for spreading info like this. You'll do it again and again, I know your type because we are literally the exact opposite in this situation.

People like you never change. I've never in my life done what you did here.

All i did to fix this was to open the device, disconnect the battery, plug the charger, turn the phone on and connect the battery
    Battery problem

I have my Xiaomi Mi 5 for 2 years... Having this battery pop up the back cover. Decided to DIY battery change and voila... Red LED blinking of death. Try to understand why it acts that way... Seems like the battery connector not on the right place. That is why it blinks. After several adjustment, the connectors fit in its place... It works normal.

So the blinking is caused by the battery doesnt connect to the system. If it connects, it charges...

Hopefully my experience, work on your gadget...