Very Low Call Volume Through Earpiece

Search This thread

wakhra

Dec 25, 2012
My Xiaomi Mi 6 call volume has gradually decreased to very low. Call volume during other apps like whatsapp and IMO is acceptable but direct phone calls are almost impossible to hear. Current ROM version is 9.5.8 stable.

Any fixes/leads will be highly appreciated.

wakoko79

Mar 11, 2012
I have the solution. And its ****ing simple.

Clean the earpiece with needle and toothbrush.
I also had the same problem, i tried every app, i also tried changing values in mixer_path xml. Nothing worked.
Until i came by a post in the official xiaomi forum.

I was floored. It worked.
The thing is, mi6 earpiece has a a grill with very fine holes. Dust easily blocks the grill.

Poke the grill with needle, clean the grill's perimiter with the needle, then brush it. You can even use a damp cloth to attract the dust. Voila, sound is loud again.

I know your pain, and now the pain is gone. Lol..

skbaek

Oct 4, 2018
thank you for your post

thank you very much Mr.
my mi6 receive Volume is very low issues, solved after cleanup ear receiver hole. :eek:
Anyone who have same situation like this issuses. Pls. cleanup first.

Last edited:

arikm

Jun 8, 2010
Worked for me as well! cleaned the grill with a needle. noticed that the grill holes were completly closed by dirt.
Thanks @wakoko79 !!

callmejones

May 19, 2015
i did try to clean but i don't think, my needle did any good to the mesh.. clouldn't notice any improvement...

so what now?
with apps like viper4android i can only boost speaker, headset, bluetooth but no earpiece... :confused:

even in my office, i have a hard time understanding people on the phone. imaginge on the street with noise... lol

thanks!

voytas-cool

Sep 4, 2008
I managed to fix this on two of my MI6 - it is all about dirt that is stuck between metal receiver hole and tight plastic mesh under it (some water splash proofing i guess) You have to take off glass cover from the back, unscrew motherboard and gently remove earpiece. Then with needle remove that tight plastic mesh and you will find lots of dirt under it. Use that needle again to clean it all. Try blowing some air to be sure its clean. Then assembly all back together and test the receiver - you will get extremely great sound that finally makes real stereo experience in youtube and other sources. And of course you will hear everything while phone call. Magic!

callmejones

May 19, 2015
I used compressed air today from the front into the mesh. Shouldn't that be enough to blew that dirt away from the mesh?

Isn't there any software that boosts earpiece? Don't really wanna open the phone if not absolutely necessary...

callmejones

May 19, 2015
Opened phone, replaced battery, tried to clean earpiece speaker, reassembled phone. Everything works but earpiece is completely dead now..

Think i broke my mi6... :(

edualca

Dec 13, 2014
I think it's more software issue.
It happened to me to update the dev version
I've talked to more people and we believe that

Enviado desde mi MI 6 mediante Tapatalk

stiw47

Apr 27, 2011
Belgrade
Unbelievably, but it was all about dirt :) I wasn't able to find some enough thin needle, which can pass through micro holes and remove dirt, so i intentionally made several "micro" damages with normal needle. Just slowly and carefully, I broke with needle, guys these damages on grill are so small that you cannot see it with eye and my earpiece is loud again in call.

Yu-hu

And for all people who pointing on software issue: I think this is placebo (or better say anti-placebo). Your earpiece collecting dirt with time, you are flashing new roms/versions with time. Think about this :) Trust me, I didn't changed rom, I was stay on same Havoc as before of "drilling" micro holes and magic is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenzo007X

easyyu

Mar 11, 2011
Hmm, really unbelivable..it worked.
But I think that best way is to open whole phone and clean it from inside that mesh.
Anyway thank for tip.

Reactions: tiguy99

whitebearspirit

Jan 27, 2020
Low earpiece volume fix for MIUI 11

I have same problem on my Xiaomi Mi6 MIUI 11. Low earpiece volume (only during calls)
I tried editing /vendor/etc/mixer_paths*.xml files, but they seem to have no effect on MIUI 11.
(well, mixer_paths_tasha.xml has some effect since earpiece sound goes away when I try to remove that file, but no volume changes)
Please can some developer help me to find a way to tweak earpiece sound volume during calls?

Cleaning earpiece is not a solution, it has really good sound during tone mode or when playin a music to it. I just sometimes need to hear a person with bad microphone when it's loud around me during call.

tomer1981

Dec 14, 2011
Surprisingly, the toothbrush solution helped... Hearing loud and clear once again.
Thanks !!

radzix27

Jul 2, 2009
Poland
How about very high volume in some calls? I noticed that on every 9.0 ROM in call volume is too loud in my case, even when it's set to minimum I still have to hang my phone at a distance of a few centimeters from my ear... so I think it isn't normal

kiwijunglist

Aug 26, 2010
I have this issue too.

I'm pretty sure it's not related to the ear piece as I've cleaned it throughly with a needle / brush / thin gauge wire / alcohol .

I'm on MIUI Global 11.0.6.0 currently. Have tried a factory reset already, no improvement. Wondering if I should install a custom rom? I'm not currently rooted/unsure if I'm unlocked or not. My phone runs global rom, but was purchased from aliexpress in china.

AWESOME1092387456

May 6, 2015
I have this issue too.

I'm pretty sure it's not related to the ear piece as I've cleaned it throughly with a needle / brush / thin gauge wire / alcohol .

I'm on MIUI Global 11.0.6.0 currently. Have tried a factory reset already, no improvement. Wondering if I should install a custom rom? I'm not currently rooted/unsure if I'm unlocked or not. My phone runs global rom, but was purchased from aliexpress in china.

I had tried those methods but what fixed it for me was completely removing/destroying the earpiece grill. After i destroyed it, i found beneath a very thick caramel like bar, i removed it and voila, its just like it was new, minus the grill.

kiwijunglist

Aug 26, 2010
I've had an improvement with vigorous external cleaning and custom rom. It's still not great but it's now more usable.

I had a look at what's involved from cleaning the earpiece from behind and it requires a significant amount of disassembly.

I might try some compressed air if I can borrow some.

Not keen on completely breaking the grill open at this stage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the solution. And its ****ing simple.

Clean the earpiece with needle and toothbrush.
    I also had the same problem, i tried every app, i also tried changing values in mixer_path xml. Nothing worked.
    Until i came by a post in the official xiaomi forum.

I was floored. It worked.
    The thing is, mi6 earpiece has a a grill with very fine holes. Dust easily blocks the grill.

Poke the grill with needle, clean the grill's perimiter with the needle, then brush it. You can even use a damp cloth to attract the dust. Voila, sound is loud again.

I know your pain, and now the pain is gone. Lol..
    Unbelievably, but it was all about dirt :) I wasn't able to find some enough thin needle, which can pass through micro holes and remove dirt, so i intentionally made several "micro" damages with normal needle. Just slowly and carefully, I broke with needle, guys these damages on grill are so small that you cannot see it with eye and my earpiece is loud again in call.

Yu-hu

And for all people who pointing on software issue: I think this is placebo (or better say anti-placebo). Your earpiece collecting dirt with time, you are flashing new roms/versions with time. Think about this :) Trust me, I didn't changed rom, I was stay on same Havoc as before of "drilling" micro holes and magic is here.
    Hmm, really unbelivable..it worked.
    But I think that best way is to open whole phone and clean it from inside that mesh.
    Anyway thank for tip.