[GUIDE] Google Backup - Waiting to backup

Search This thread

Dexer125

Feb 18, 2017
Hello, time to time, many users are facing problem with greyed Backup now button in Google Backup. So here's the solution.

How it looks
OkjnlVM.png

ADB solution

What you need
  1. Device specific drivers
  2. ADB
  3. USB Debugging turned on

Procedure
  1. Connect the phone to the PC
  2. Open Command prompt - CMD
  3. Type in console
    Code:
    adb shell
    bmgr run
    bmgr backupnow --all
  4. If error "Backup finished with result: Backup Cancelled" pops up, type in console
    Code:
    bmgr backupnow appdata
    and then
    Code:
    bmgr backupnow --all
  5. When it's finished reboot your phone, Backup now button should be blue and functional

Terminal Emulator solution

What you need
  1. Root
  2. Terminal Emulator

Procedure
  1. Open Terminal Emulator
  2. Type
    Code:
    su
    bmgr backupnow --all
  3. Reboot phone
Backup doesn't work after deleting data/data/com.google.android.gms

There's a new problem after deleting mentioned folder to get GPay working. Unfortunately this breaks Backup. I captured the issue, backup transport path is disabled, you need to reenable it.

Procedure is same but this time, type in console
Code:
bmgr transport com.google.android.gms/.backup.BackupTransportService

Now repeat previous steps.

If I helped, consider buying me a coffee or just hit Thanks button. I appreciate any kind of feedback.

Last edited:

Dexer125

Feb 18, 2017
Hi guys. There is problem with Backup after deleting data/data/com.google.android.gms folder to get GPay working. I'll post my research of that problem later with fix, I'll update OP. Have a nice day.

Sent from my Mi 8 using Tapatalk

alucardromero

Sep 1, 2010
ADB method worked for me, however, SMS still shows "Waiting for backup". Not critical for me because I delete old, useless messages. But thought it might be worthy of being mentioned.

Reactions: Nurchi

gvp9000

Sep 11, 2007
I didnt use any of the methodes above. I just made first a local backup and boom ... The google backup now button was available. Strange !!!

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
Thanks dev. I was having the issues on my Poco f1 with Havoc Pie rom. and also on my other device Asus Max pro m1. Worked on both of them like a charm. Used ADB mode only.

Reactions: Dexer125

Erpe7

Jan 13, 2018
Hello,
Please so, tell me is this adb backup is for a full mi8 system backup or only works for this google thing?
Cause, I'm new into mi8 (still using my redmi note 5), not unlocked yet, not twrp installed and no root of course. I almost received it days/weeks ago...
So can this method made a full backup of my mi8?
Cheers in advance.
PS: if no, is there a tuto to make a full backup of a new mi8 somewhere. I always searching a lot...

Reactions: Dexer125

Dexer125

Feb 18, 2017
Hello,
Please so, tell me is this adb backup is for a full mi8 system backup or only works for this google thing?
Cause, I'm new into mi8 (still using my redmi note 5), not unlocked yet, not twrp installed and no root of course. I almost received it days/weeks ago...
So can this method made a full backup of my mi8?
Cheers in advance.
PS: if no, is there a tuto to make a full backup of a new mi8 somewhere. I always searching a lot...
Only Google backup and if you want full backup, install TWRP and then do nandroid backup.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Erpe7

Jan 13, 2018
Only Google backup and if you want full backup, install TWRP and then do nandroid backup.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Cheers.
Its all I wanted to know. I know well twrp cause I'm using it on my Note 5 as I said. But as my MI8 is still locked... That's why I was asking if there is an other method or tool to use to do full backup.
Cause the local MIUI backup is just a laught ^^

PS: I thought using adb we could make a full backup like for exemple using a raspberry pi and a Windows tool to make a complete backup. That's sad... ^^'

Last edited:

pj.gomes

Dec 10, 2012
Braga
For this backup bug, I found a easier solution by adding a second email....just add another account to save that backup and the Backup Now is live again...than you can remove the second email once the primary email backup is working now....

Enviado do meu POCOPHONE F1 através do Tapatalk

jakommo

Jun 12, 2008
...just add another account to save that backup and the Backup Now is live again...than you can remove the second email once the primary email backup is working now....

Thanks for sharing. I tried many other solutions with adb or deleting app data from several google apps, but it was as easy as adding a second (actually third) google account and then it just worked an keeps working after removing this account.

Reactions: BeadyBead

bbshopplf

Jul 10, 2019
Try setting your Screen Lock (under Settings --> Security & Location) to "None".

Go back to Google --> Backup, and see if the blue button isn't lit up for you.

After backing up, you can go back and re-institute your security setting.

tsigpan

Jun 30, 2012
The terminal emulator solution worked for me on my pocofone, running pixel experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, time to time, many users are facing problem with greyed Backup now button in Google Backup. So here's the solution.

How it looks
    OkjnlVM.png

ADB solution

What you need
    1. Device specific drivers
    2. ADB
    3. USB Debugging turned on

Procedure
    1. Connect the phone to the PC
    2. Open Command prompt - CMD
    3. Type in console
      Code:
      adb shell
      bmgr run
      bmgr backupnow --all
    4. If error "Backup finished with result: Backup Cancelled" pops up, type in console
      Code:
      bmgr backupnow appdata
      and then
      Code:
      bmgr backupnow --all
    5. When it's finished reboot your phone, Backup now button should be blue and functional

Terminal Emulator solution

What you need
    1. Root
    2. Terminal Emulator

Procedure
    1. Open Terminal Emulator
    2. Type
      Code:
      su
      bmgr backupnow --all
    3. Reboot phone
    Backup doesn't work after deleting data/data/com.google.android.gms

There's a new problem after deleting mentioned folder to get GPay working. Unfortunately this breaks Backup. I captured the issue, backup transport path is disabled, you need to reenable it.

Procedure is same but this time, type in console
    Code:
    bmgr transport com.google.android.gms/.backup.BackupTransportService

Now repeat previous steps.

If I helped, consider buying me a coffee or just hit Thanks button. I appreciate any kind of feedback.
    For this backup bug, I found a easier solution by adding a second email....just add another account to save that backup and the Backup Now is live again...than you can remove the second email once the primary email backup is working now....

Enviado do meu POCOPHONE F1 através do Tapatalk
    Try setting your Screen Lock (under Settings --> Security & Location) to "None".

Go back to Google --> Backup, and see if the blue button isn't lit up for you.

After backing up, you can go back and re-institute your security setting.
    @Dexer125 Thank you very much for this helpful thread!
    Both the "remove PIN" and "adb/terminal" approach work for me, in general. However, there are two strange or interesting observations that I made in this context.

First: After removing the PIN and hitting "back up now" the backup runs fine. Afterwards, I set up the PIN again and the backup status in settings returned to "Waiting to back up..." as if there was never any backup. I checked in Google Drive and the backup was there with the correct time stamp. For some reason I went back to Google Drive one or two hours later and now Google Drive was no longer showing the time of the last backup, but also "Waiting to back up...". It looks like the backup had been automatically deleted. Using the adb-approach the backup menu in settings does still show "Waiting to back up..." afterwards, but at least this way the backup does not get auto-deleted in Google Drive.

Second: After an adb-triggered backup I factory reset my device due to changing ROM. During the initial setup process this backup was not recognized. The setup wizard was claiming there is no backup in the cloud, although it was visible in Google Drive. That was actually pretty annoying.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
    The presence of a backup in Drive is not sufficient for having a usable backup. I've found that it can take days after doing a full backup for it to become a usable one.

How to tell if the backup is usable? Run this command:
    Code:
     adb shell bmgr list sets
    The command lists the tokens of all usable backups. If it reports "no restore sets" then it's not usable.

You can find the token of the current backup by running:
    Code:
    adb shell dumpsys backup
    and looking for the line containing "Current:"
    When it's usable the token is listed by the "list sets" command above.

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs
    Hi guys. I try this method but on my Mi9 not working.
    ADB command says transport error.
    Disabling pin code and FP do the Google backup now blue but after one minute it says try later and nothing happens.