FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

IR camera - MI8

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 95

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from TeraJL: infrared and secondary camera for Mi8 (photo and video)
I've made a modded version of the great "Simple Camera" by SimpleMobileTools ( simplemobiletools.github.io ) to work with the secondary pocophone and MI8 cameras including the front facing infrared camera, you can record videos and take pictures, it's free, no ads, no analytics, and open source.

Working:
- Camera and using back secondary camera or infrared camera on LineageOS/AOSP roms
Let me know if you have problems on any other rom

Not yet working:
it seems it is NOT WORKING on MIUI roms - it seems that MIUI has disabled the camera access on newer versions, maybe with root there is a way to reconfigure miui to allow the two new cameras to work, still investigating, if someone has an idea i would love to know

If someone knows some rom/kernel/root/magisk module developer that may be able to help me let me know and i'll be more than happy to try and make it work on MIUI!

Hope it's useful, thank you!

Download Links:
- Play Store
- XDA

Munchy video review

Donations
paypal.me/joaolvcm

XDA:DevDB Information
IR camera - MI8, Device Specific App for the Xiaomi Mi 8

Contributors
TeraJL
Source Code: https://github.com/jlvcm/Simple-Camera

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1
Stable Release Date: 2019-01-04

Created 2019-01-07
Last Updated 2019-01-06
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TeraJL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TeraJL Ad-Free

7th January 2019, 01:16 AM |#2  
Flag Brasilia
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Wow, this is actually very good.

Working fine on Pixel Experience.

Thanks a lot. It is awesome in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to atrufinibr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift atrufinibr Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 06:58 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Thank you. It works.

Out of curiosity, any use beyond "trying"?
7th January 2019, 07:39 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Can you please post screenshots?
7th January 2019, 10:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
The MIUI Hidden Settings app is able to get access to the IR camera (Hidden Settings > QMMI > 34. Camera Front). Maybe something that you can pursue to gain access to the IR camera on MIUI in your app?
8th January 2019, 02:05 AM |#6  
Flag Brasilia
Thanks Meter: 16

More
This photo attached I've shot in a 99% dark room.
The background is dark because it's pointing to my face. But if you point to the background ambient it all gets insanely brighter and visible (second attachment)

Of course the quality sucks. But we can clearly see what's in the path.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_234946.jpg
Views:	2148
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	4682231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_000421.jpg
Views:	2148
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	4682232  
8th January 2019, 01:04 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
for me wont work on pixel3rom, only black screen, only work with the back camera
8th January 2019, 01:08 PM |#8  
Flag Finland
Thanks Meter: 567

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4R81N63R

The MIUI Hidden Settings app is able to get access to the IR camera (Hidden Settings > QMMI > 34. Camera Front). Maybe something that you can pursue to gain access to the IR camera on MIUI in your app?

thats true. it works in xiaomi.eu rom also.
8th January 2019, 01:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4R81N63R

Good find!

Did you manage to find the pictures taken ? Don't think they're actually saved..
8th January 2019, 01:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffl_

Good find!

Did you manage to find the pictures taken ? Don't think they're actually saved..

No, I haven't found the saved pictures. I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that the Hidden Settings app uses the factory/feature testing methods because of the Pass/Fail buttons that appear while using the Front Camera IR in it. I also get a green check mark next to the front camera entry in the QMMI list after I have tapped the 'take picture' button.
8th January 2019, 04:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Yeah I think you're right.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)