FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How can I remove Magisk?

361 posts
Thanks Meter: 104

By Filip013, Senior Member on 28th October 2017, 02:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've flashed Magisk, but because I can't get Xposed to work, I'd like to remove Magisk and install SuperSU, but I don't know how. I tried to flash the uninstaller via TWRP and it says everything is fine, but after rebooting it just stays installed. If I try to flash SuperSU anyway I get stuck on boot. I have to flash stock boot.img via TWRP and then Magisk magically reappears. I tried using MiFlash but it refuses to do anything. It says no permission.

One possible solution, I guess, would be to flash stock ROM via TWRP. Can this be done? Any other ideas? Or am I just stuck with Magisk until a new version is available?

28th October 2017, 03:28 PM |#2  
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 562

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip013

I've flashed Magisk, but because I can't get Xposed to work, I'd like to remove Magisk and install SuperSU, but I don't know how. I tried to flash the uninstaller via TWRP and it says everything is fine, but after rebooting it just stays installed. If I try to flash SuperSU anyway I get stuck on boot. I have to flash stock boot.img via TWRP and then Magisk magically reappears. I tried using MiFlash but it refuses to do anything. It says no permission.

One possible solution, I guess, would be to flash stock ROM via TWRP. Can this be done? Any other ideas? Or am I just stuck with Magisk until a new version is available?

Magisk is pretty much "useless" for now. Because it is based on system-less root, and cannot be updated (because still in testing phase! Newer Xposed module from Magisk requires latest Magisk root binary, which is pretty out of option atm as we can't update to the latest binary). The only solution if you want to have proper root access is:

1. Head over to Xiaomi MIUI website and download the full stock ROM again, and then flash it via fastboot (choose flash_all_except_storage.bat if you want to preserve your data).
2. Once flashed, reboot back to bootloader and unlock it.
3. While still in bootloader flash the correct CF-Auto root boot image for your ROM (contains SuperSU 2.82 binary, https://desktop.firmware.mobi/device:1748)
4. Wait patiently and it will automatically reboot. Install SuperSU from Play Store if you want root management app.
5. If you need Xposed, download the Xposed apk from XDA and then install it normally (not via recovery).
6. ??? Profit

*DO NOT INSTALL permanent TWRP as it will cause your phone stuck in boot loop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soralz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soralz Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 03:47 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
@soralz

Thanks for your help, but no luck. I understand what I'm supposed to do, but I can't get MiFlash to work. When I try to flash stock image I get a "Permission Denied" error. (I have unlocked my bootloader successfully). I tried flashing modified stock image from here But then I couldn't boot. My only solution is to flash stock boot.img via TWRP and I can boot, but I stay stuck with Magisk.

So far, the only options I can think of is to wait for a recovery-flashable ROM, a new software update or a new version of Magisk.
28th October 2017, 03:57 PM |#4  
Flag Taipei

More
Quote:

@soralz

Thanks for your help, but no luck. I understand what I'm supposed to do, but I can't get MiFlash to work. When I try to flash stock image I get a "Permission Denied" error. (I have unlocked my bootloader successfully). I tried flashing modified stock image from here But then I couldn't boot. My only solution is to flash stock boot.img via TWRP and I can boot, but I stay stuck with Magisk.

So far, the only options I can think of is to wait for a recovery-flashable ROM, a new software update or a new version of Magisk.

You couldn't boot, are you using permanent TWRP?

Have you tried download the Full ROM from here and run this (as attachment)?
http://en.miui.com/download-333.html

Btw, place the folder under 1 directory only eg: as attachment. (I tried in multiple directory eg: "D:\Phones\ROM\Stock ROM", it just wouldn't flash)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_174607.png
Views:	176
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	4316589  
The Following User Says Thank You to soralz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soralz Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 04:22 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
@soralz

OMG!!! I can't believe it. MiFlash refused to let me flash because I tried to do that from the wrong location. Weird??!!

Good. I’ve managed to follow your instructions and success!! Just a minor note, I couldn't flash the modified boot.img directly via fastboot, it still won't let me. But I just booted TWRP (without flashing) and then flashed it from there. Again, THANK YOU!

BTW, yes, I had flashed permanent TWRP and then unsuccessfully tried to remove it.
28th October 2017, 04:28 PM |#6  
Flag Taipei

More
Quote:

@soralz

OMG!!! I can't believe it. MiFlash refused to let me flash because I tried to do that from the wrong location. Weird??!!

Good. I’ve managed to follow your instructions and success!! Just a minor note, I couldn't flash the modified boot.img directly via fastboot, it still won't let me. But I just booted TWRP (without flashing) and then flashed it from there. Again, THANK YOU!

BTW, yes, I had flashed permanent TWRP and then unsuccessfully tried to remove it.

Oh you manage to fix that? Good for you then. And yes you cannot have permanent TWRP and SuperSU at the same time. The CF-auto root for me I just click root.bat and done. btw side note, you will lose root after each update, besure to check out the new patched boot image. I m sure in the future we will have automated process, don't need to re-root manually after each update
The Following User Says Thank You to soralz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soralz Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)