FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[ALTERNATIVE] Root Mi A1 with TWRP Without disabling Ota

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 37

By H.A.L. 9000, Junior Member on 16th March 2018, 07:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As you may imagine this simple guide will show you how to root your device with magisk from twrp recovery.
I know, there is already a guide by jashancheema that shows how to root this device, however it's difficult to update the system once you are rooted. In my opinion the way i'm about to show you is faster and easier.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for ANY damage done to your phone, act at your own risk.

That's how you can root your phone with magisk and recovery without disabling ota.

1. First download magisk manager and magisk flashable zip from here (official thread)
Install magisk manager and copy the magisk flashable zip somewhere in your device or sd.

2. Download mohancm twrp recovery (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo) from here (official thread)
NOTE: do not download the installer, you need the .img file bootable from fastboot (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img)

3. Copy recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img into the fastboot folder.

4. Enable developer option from in the device, enable OEM unlocking.

5. turn off your device and enter into fastboot mode by holding voume down + power button, then connect your device to the pc.

6. now open fastboot and type this to check the connection, if the terminal return an andress your phone is correctly configured.
Code:
fastboot devices
7. type this from fastboot to unlock your bootloader.
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
8. now type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
Code:
fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img
9. once your recovey boot flash the magisk zip and reboot.
NOTE: do not install or flash twrp into your device or you won't be able to update through ota.

---------------------HOW TO UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you will receive the update the only thing you need to do is boot twrp, flash magisk unistaller (that you can find here ) and update.

1. type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
Code:
fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img
2. flash magisk unistaller from recovey

3. Update your system

4. Repeat the same procedure to root again your device.

If you are italian and you need any help you can find it here, the serious telegram community.
https://t.me/XiaomiMiA1Italia
Special thanks to @samuele94 and @TheRealajeje from the telegram group.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to H.A.L. 9000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift H.A.L. 9000 Ad-Free

16th March 2018, 07:35 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 37

More
RESERVED
23rd March 2018, 11:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
WORK
I tried, it works. thank you! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
31st March 2018, 11:09 PM |#5  

More
funziona da dio! fantastico! bella guida
23rd May 2018, 10:23 AM |#6  
Flag Bari
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Great work!
23rd May 2018, 11:18 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
i already flash twrp on my device, so i cannot install update OTA until i go back to unroot?
31st May 2018, 09:38 AM |#8  

More
@H.A.L. 9000, I'm sorry for my ignorance but I wonder whether the bootloader unlock passage (that'd reset everything) is inescapable after installing an OTA update
2nd June 2018, 03:11 AM |#9  

More
Can I install ota with the unlocked bootloader?
2nd June 2018, 03:53 AM |#10  
Flag Gods Own Country
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveejnasv

Can I install ota with the unlocked bootloader?

Yes. If you didn't make any modifications to the system .
2nd June 2018, 09:06 AM |#11  
Flag Goa
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Thanks for this I was always confused on how to update the phone after magisk.

Edit: you think it's possible to use a custom kernel with magisk and still maintain ota?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)