FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 9 Lite

Enable LTE bands

63 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By adaltavo, Member on 29th September 2017, 09:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi. I want to share my experience with you. See, I live in Mexico and here the only available bands for LTE are B4 and B2, and it was nice to see this phone being compatible with B4, so I ordered mine as soon as it was available in black color. It arrived last wednsday, and what I found? That it was not able to connect to LTE, I though it was a configuration problem, but then I revised the manual included in the box and it clearly says it's only compatible with B1/B3/B7/B8/B20/B38/B40. Damn, I felt so bad, I made a little research googling and realized that there are going to be several versions of this phone and the LTE support is going to depend of the selling area. This was hard to accept, but also the key of a posible solution. This is supoused to be a phone sold worldwide, and if there are several versions depending of the selling area I guess is easier and cheaper for production to make exactly the same hardware rather than one for each selling area, so maybe the only constraint for LTE support could posibly be something related to software. And so it was. I wanted to try to modify the NVRAM values to force the SoC to accept B4. For this as you might know you need an unlocked bootloader (for root) and a rooted phone. So, first I unlocked the bootloader, something really easy to do by the way, and then looked for a CF-auto-root zip (it is officially supported by Chainfire), then flashed the boot.img aaaaand, when my phone turned on, IT WAS CONNECTED TO LTE SIGNAL, no NV values were changed, anything else but this was done to make Mi A1 to support LTE B4. I can't see which other bands were enabled, I don't know how to see this since signal guru is not free for this feature anymore, but I assume that also other official supported bands were enabled.

Hope this can help someone else in a similar situation than me. I don't know if flashing a boot partition is enough to change LTE support, if so, its probably that the phone locks again with an update, but I guess that reflashing the boot.img or even a full ROM can make it support LTE bands again, and the worse scenario would be to change NVRAM values cause I alredy confirm that its able to support more bands than stock, I mean, the hardware is there so you just have to enable it. And yes, LTE is working fine with no issues.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adaltavo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adaltavo Ad-Free

30th September 2017, 09:47 AM |#2  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Man...I just ordered on and I'm in the United States. It says "4G: FDD LTE B3/ B1/ B4/ B7/ B5/ B8/ B20; TD LTE B38:2600/ B39:1900/ B40:2300 MHz" under Network. I'm with Walmart's Family Mobile (they use T-Mobile's network). They say that you need a GSM phone with either 850 or 1900MHz band.

I hope this works...or else I have to return it...to China.
2nd October 2017, 09:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can someone else confirm this?
2nd October 2017, 10:48 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Mexico

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by SRAM

Man...I just ordered on and I'm in the United States. It says "4G: FDD LTE B3/ B1/ B4/ B7/ B5/ B8/ B20; TD LTE B38:2600/ B39:1900/ B40:2300 MHz" under Network. I'm with Walmart's Family Mobile (they use T-Mobile's network). They say that you need a GSM phone with either 850 or 1900MHz band.

I hope this works...or else I have to return it...to China.

When I bought mine the seller also said in description that it was B4 compatible, but when it arrived and saw the manual page with the phone specs, it clearly said that only supports B 1/3/7/8/20/38/40 (I'll attach a photo), and also the problem that it wasn't able to connect to my local LTE network.

As I said, I can't show you which bands are now enabled, I don't know how, if someone knows a way (different from Signal Guru) just tell me and I'll gladly do it

Edit: Forget about it, finally found how to show LTE bands with signal Guru without buying it. Screenshot attached showhing B 1/3/4/5/7/8/20/38/40 enabled!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170927_174005.jpg
Views:	5680
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	4290397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171002-145737.png
Views:	5832
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	4290416  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adaltavo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adaltavo Ad-Free
2nd October 2017, 11:17 PM |#5  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaltavo

When I bought mine the seller also said in description that it was B4 compatible, but when it arrived and saw the manual page with the phone specs, it clearly said that only supports B 1/3/7/8/20/38/40 (I'll attach a photo), and also the problem that it wasn't able to connect to my local LTE network.

As I said, I can't show you which bands are now enabled, I don't know how, if someone knows a way (different from Signal Guru) just tell me and I'll gladly do it

Edit: Forget about it, finally found how to show LTE bands with signal Guru without buying it. Screenshot attached showhing B 1/3/4/5/7/8/20/38/40 enabled!

I ordered my phone through Aliexpress...so whenever I recieve it...I'll pop in my sim and see. I'm pretty sure you're right...but I can still hope. China is on Holiday at the moment...apparently the entire country is shut down.

I know nothing about rooting a device. I've used my phones as is. I'm using a Nextbit Robin right now. Overall I'm pretty happy with the phone...but I want something with a better camera.
3rd October 2017, 08:21 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Mexico

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by SRAM

I ordered my phone through Aliexpress...so whenever I recieve it...I'll pop in my sim and see. I'm pretty sure you're right...but I can still hope. China is on Holiday at the moment...apparently the entire country is shut down.

I know nothing about rooting a device. I've used my phones as is. I'm using a Nextbit Robin right now. Overall I'm pretty happy with the phone...but I want something with a better camera.

Oh true, I guess the whole country stops like for 2 weeks, you'll have to wait a little longer. And I hope your version gets B4 stock enabled, but if it isn't, is not a hard process, practically all you'll have to do is copy paste some command lines to your terminal/cmd window. Is a really developer friendly phone, is really easy to unlock the bootloader, and really easy to flash the CF-auto-root image for root, I guess it's been the easiest one I've ever had
The Following User Says Thank You to adaltavo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adaltavo Ad-Free
4th October 2017, 01:41 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Ayudame, misma situación, también soy de Mexico - In the same situation
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaltavo

Hi. I want to share my experience with you. See, I live in Mexico and here the only available bands for LTE are B4 and B2, and it was nice to see this phone being compatible with B4, so I ordered mine as soon as it was available in black color. It arrived last wednsday, and what I found? That it was not able to connect to LTE, I though it was a configuration problem, but then I revised the manual included in the box and it clearly says it's only compatible with B1/B3/B7/B8/B20/B38/B40. Damn, I felt so bad, I made a little research googling and realized that there are going to be several versions of this phone and the LTE support is going to depend of the selling area. This was hard to accept, but also the key of a posible solution. This is supoused to be a phone sold worldwide, and if there are several versions depending of the selling area I guess is easier and cheaper for production to make exactly the same hardware rather than one for each selling area, so maybe the only constraint for LTE support could posibly be something related to software. And so it was. I wanted to try to modify the NVRAM values to force the SoC to accept B4. For this as you might know you need an unlocked bootloader (for root) and a rooted phone. So, first I unlocked the bootloader, something really easy to do by the way, and then looked for a CF-auto-root zip (it is officially supported by Chainfire), then flashed the boot.img aaaaand, when my phone turned on, IT WAS CONNECTED TO LTE SIGNAL, no NV values were changed, anything else but this was done to make Mi A1 to support LTE B4. I can't see which other bands were enabled, I don't know how to see this since signal guru is not free for this feature anymore, but I assume that also other official supported bands were enabled.

Hope this can help someone else in a similar situation than me. I don't know if flashing a boot partition is enough to change LTE support, if so, its probably that the phone locks again with an update, but I guess that reflashing the boot.img or even a full ROM can make it support LTE bands again, and the worse scenario would be to change NVRAM values cause I alredy confirm that its able to support more bands than stock, I mean, the hardware is there so you just have to enable it. And yes, LTE is working fine with no issues.

Hola, también soy de México y la verdad es que me a pasado exactamente lo mismo que dices que te paso a ti, me enamore del teléfono y lo compre en cuanto vi que un vendedor lo ofrecía diciendo que funcionaba en B4 y de igual manera cuando me llego al ver el manual y probarlo me decepcione. Porfavor te pido amablemente que si lograste hacer que funcionara la banda B4 me ayudes a hacerlo funcionar en el mio, ayúdame explicándome bien cual fue tu proceso y los pasos que hiciste.
Gracias amigo ojala y me puedas ayudar de verdad te lo agradecería.

Hello, I'm from Mexico too and the truth is that it happened to me exactly the same as you say that happened to you, I fell in love with the phone and bought it as soon as I saw a seller offering it saying that it worked in B4 and in the same way when I came to see the manual and try it disappoint me. Please kindly ask me if you managed to make it work B4 band help me to make it work in mine, help me explaining well what was your process and the steps you did.
Thank you, my friend, and if you can help me, I really appreciate it.
6th October 2017, 07:13 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Mi solución
Igualmente compre un mi a1 en AliExpress y en el folleto no menciona la B4 y al probar con varios chips telcel no daba 4g. Como ultimo recurso reinicie el equipo a fabrica y al empezar las configuraciones iniciales en donde pide escojer el idioma puse español (mexico) y al continuar con las configuraciones se conecto a 4g de telcel. Anteriormente escoji español (españa) y fue cuando no conectaba a 4g
6th October 2017, 05:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstkm

Igualmente compre un mi a1 en AliExpress y en el folleto no menciona la B4 y al probar con varios chips telcel no daba 4g. Como ultimo recurso reinicie el equipo a fabrica y al empezar las configuraciones iniciales en donde pide escojer el idioma puse español (mexico) y al continuar con las configuraciones se conecto a 4g de telcel. Anteriormente escoji español (españa) y fue cuando no conectaba a 4g

Really that works? Have you a screenshot?
I'm interested, I have the same problem and I would like to fix it.
Thank You!!
7th October 2017, 12:32 AM |#10  
Flag Veracruz
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstkm

Realmente te funciono eso?? Tendras SS por favor, es que pedí el equipo y tengo esa duda!!!
7th October 2017, 12:30 PM |#11  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I have ordered this phone from aliexpress as well, I was wondering if it's possible to activate the B28 LTE frequency... Unfortunately is not listed anywhere, I am not sure about it (but could be extremely good here in Australia).

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Deedend For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deedend Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
enable 4g, guide, lte, support 4g, xiaomi mi a1

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)