FORUMS

[ROOT] [Discussion] Safe-to-remove System Bloatware/Googleware

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By lbsilva, Junior Member on 11th February 2019, 12:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since there's no thread related to safe-to-remove system bloatware/googleware, I decided to make one.
I'm counting on your help to expand this list.

Tested
  • Chrome
    Alternatives: Firefox, Brave, Waterfox.
    Or you could simply uninstall it as a system APP and reinstall it as a user APP. There's definitely no need for Chrome to be a system APP.
  • Contacts
    Alternatives: Simple Contacts Pro, fully open-source (paid or free if you download it through F-Droid, but won't get advanced customizations), Contacts+.
    I also advise you to remove Google Contacts as a system APP and reinstall it as an user APP if you wish to keep it, there's no reason for Google Contacts to be a system APP.
  • Gmail
    This one actually depends on your email provider, since I don't use gmail at all, I completely uninstalled this.
    Also I suggest looking at ProtonMail, it's an email provider mostly focused on user data protection (through strict Swiss data protection laws) and privacy.
    Then again, if you wish to keep this APP, I suggest uninstalling it and reinstall it as an user APP.
  • Digital Wellbeing
    If you use this functionality on settings you may want to keep it, I uninstalled it.
    Also I noticed that ever since I uninstalled this APP, there's an error on logcat showing that something failed to connect to this APP. However it's just a log, despite that everything seems to be working great.
  • Google Files/Files Go
    If you managed to upgrade from Android 8 to Android 9, you most likely kept the standard system APP "Files", however if you flashed Android 9 from scratch, the standard system APP "Files" becomes hidden, which you may unhide it using this app. (I didn't test it). You can also use FileManager by Xiaomi.
    Or if you're like me and prefer open-source APPs, I installed Simple File Manager Pro, it supports root (paid or free if you download it through F-Droid, but won't get advanced customizations) or this free and simple file manager.
    If you wish to keep Files Go (Google Files) you can also uninstall is as a system APP and reinstall it as an user APP.
  • Calendar
    At this point there's not much calendar APPs out there with cloud sync support, so I managed to stick to Google Calendar, although I uninstalled it as a system APP and reinstalled it as an user APP. I know I said this countless times but I'm extremely against contributing to Google's currently huge power on user personal data, so I try to be as google-less as possible.
  • Lens
    Don't know what this actually does, but Android 8 didn't have it and I looked it up somewhere and some people said that it was safe to remove, and so far so good.
    You can read more about it here.
  • Google
    Safe to remove, however your search box widget becomes pretty useless. I actually don't mind at all, it even switches to dark theme mode.
  • Action Services
    From what I've read, this APP is responsible for the APP suggestions on your All-APPs menu, so you'll get some errors when uninstall this. To avoid the errors you have to deactivate APP suggestions first:
    Long Press Home-Screen > Home Settings > Suggestions > Apps (Disable this)
    And now you're free to uninstall this.
  • Photos
    Definitely not keeping this one, with cloud storage and such.
    Replaced with, once again, Simple Gallery Pro (paid or free if you download it through F-Droid, but won't get advanced customizations). You can also use LeafPic which is also open-source and looks great but I didn't actually test it.
  • Google Maps
    I use this, however I uninstalled as a system APP and reinstalled as an user APP.
    I'm currently slowly trying to migrate to Waze even though it was bought by Google.
  • YouTube
    I occasionally use it, so I made it an user APP.
Probably safe-to-remove but not tested
  • Device Health Services
    Does anyone know what this APP is responsible for?
  • Gboard
    I don't use it but I didn't uninstall it because it may be required for first-time password input when turning on the device.
    When I switch to another keyboard besides Google or SwiftKey (currently using), there's a popup saying "Note: After a reboot, this app can't start until you unlock your phone.", that's why I didn't uninstall it.
    Unfortunately I don't know any good enough Messaging APP to replace Google Messages.
    I know there used to be Silence, it even supported P2P encryption but I think it was discontinued. There's also Textra although not open-source.
  • Feedback
    When trying to uninstall this system APP it's shown that it is a Key module, although I really doubt it really is.
Uncertain
  • com.google.android.gms.policy_sidecar_aps
    What on earth is this and what does it do?
  • Android Setup & Device Setup
    I'm assuming these are only used when configuring the device for the first time?

If you have any suggestions, useful tools or tips please drop them down below, I'll try to keep this list up-to-date along with your suggestions.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lbsilva For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lbsilva Ad-Free
11th February 2019, 05:34 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
my bloatware list: (all frozen via titanium backup)

com.google.android.as (actions services)
com.android.chrome
com.google.android.apps.wellbeing
com.android.documentsui
com.google.android.apps.nbu.files
com.google.android.apps.photos
com.google.android.calculator
com.google.ar.lens

plus
gboard : safe after you've installed a new 3rd party keyboard app and enabled it.
device setup
youtube

the apps i'm using instead some of above:

browser : lightning browser
file manager : solid explorer
gallery : simple gallery pro
calculator : champcalc
youtube : youtube vanced
11th February 2019, 06:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
com.miui.spock
com.miui.bugreport
com.huaqin.factory
com.huaqin.sar
com.huaqin.diaglogger
android.autoinstalls.config.Xiaomi.daisy
com.android.egg
com.google.android.gms.policy_sidecar_aps
com.mi.setupwizardoverlay

adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 package_name ***OR*** cmd appops set package_name RUN_IN_BACKGROUND ignore ***OR*** pm disable-user --user 0 package_name
14th March 2019, 04:19 AM |#4  

More
I recently uninstalled those with
Code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0
:

android.telephony.overlay.cmcc
android.ui.overlay.ct
android.autoinstalls.config.Xiaomi.daisy
com.google.android.marvin.talkback
com.google.android.apps.wellbeing
com.google.android.apps.work.oobconfig
com.google.android.gms.policy_sidecar_aps
com.android.egg
com.android.backup
com.android.dreams.basic
com.android.mms.overlay.cmcc
com.android.networksettings.overlay.ct
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.settings.overlay.cmcc
com.android.systemui.overlay.cmcc
com.android.systemui.overlay.ct
com.android.wallpaperpicker
com.android.facelock
com.android.stk
com.android.dreams.phototable
com.mi.setupwizardoverlay
com.mi.AutoTest
com.miui.bugreport
com.miui.spock
com.huaqin.diaglogger
com.huaqin.factory
com.huaqin.sar
se.dirac.acs
com.fingerprints.sensortesttool
org.codeaurora.bluetooth
com.qualcomm.simcontacts
com.qualcomm.qti.perfdump
com.qualcomm.qti.qmmi
com.qualcomm.qti.callenhancement
com.qualcomm.qti.dynamicddsservice
com.qualcomm.embms
com.qualcomm.qti.autoregistration
com.qualcomm.qti.callfeaturessetting
com.qualcomm.qti.lpa
com.qualcomm.qti.networksetting
com.qualcomm.qti.optinoverlay
com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.connectionsecurity
com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.trustzoneaccess
com.qualcomm.qti.qtisystemservice
com.qualcomm.qti.simsettings
com.qualcomm.qti.uim
com.qualcomm.qti.confdialer
com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.telemetry
com.qualcomm.qti.roamingsettings
com.qualcomm.qti.services.secureui
com.qualcomm.qti.auth.fidocryptoservice
com.qti.qualcomm.datastatusnotification
com.qti.xdivert
com.qti.dpmserviceapp
com.qti.confuridialer
com.qti.qualcomm.deviceinfo

Phone works perfectly fine after this. No issues, like nothing changed except better battery life.

And I'm thinking about those:
com.google.android.ims
com.goodix.gftest
com.fingerprints.extension.service
com.goodix.fingerprint

Has anyone tried to remove them?

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

@lbsilva Device Health Services is battery optimisation.
The Following User Says Thank You to locovibe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift locovibe Ad-Free
14th March 2019, 09:04 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
One of the very few useful threads for this device. Bravo! Ideally, once there is a consensus on which packages can be removed without crippling the phone some knowledgeable person should make a script to do the job, either something to flash or a bash + adb to do it from desktop.
14th March 2019, 06:56 PM |#6  

More
I found this .bat file, I think it's reusable with those above but only in Windows.
20th March 2019, 03:18 AM |#7  
Flag Burton on Trent
Thanks Meter: 393

More
Wouldnt recommend removing anything to do with qualcomm or networking, be warned.
18th April 2019, 12:13 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
OP, when you say "remove", do you mean "disable so it can't run", or "completely wipe it off the phone"?

I've got a Blu Life One X3, rooted with TWRP and Magisk. What I describe below is my second attempt to debloat the phone. The first attempt, I just uninstalled unwanted apps from the current user via ADB.

Example:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 -k com.android.egg

I entered into TWRP Recovery Mode and deleted the /system/app and /system/priv-app directories for the apps I didn't want. Upon booting, the phone went through the boot animation and music jingle, then stopped. I left it overnight, since it was late and I wanted to see if it'd work its way to a full boot. It didn't, so I recovered with the out-of-box Nandroid backup I'd taken.

What's strange is that the phone worked fine when the very same apps were just disabled (during my first attempt), but locked up when those apps were deleted from the phone.

Is there something else I need to edit?
10th May 2019, 04:01 PM |#9  
Flag jakarta
Thanks Meter: 6

More
How to uninstall without using command line? Is there any some GUI application to uninstall this??

*By the way how to download youtube vanced, i search it in magisk download , there's nothing
11th May 2019, 08:25 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla.tiga

How to uninstall without using command line? Is there any some GUI application to uninstall this??

*By the way how to download youtube vanced, i search it in magisk download , there's nothing

If you are rooted, download titanium backup from playstore and have fun.

For yt Vanced, try clearing the repo cache from magisk's settings and search again. Or search the module here on XDA and add it manually.

Edit: looks like Google screwd things up and made chrome almost a dependency or it's an issue just on my device. On Oreo, Gmail stops working after chrome removal. Looks like Gmail is now dependent of chrome webview, it's crashing when using Android system webview.

Edit 2: nevermind, after updating Android system webview, Gmail app has started working again.
5th March 2020, 03:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
great thread, thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps, bloatware, root, system, uninstall

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)