FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Xiaomi Mi A2 won't boot after January 2019 update

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By vladankrle, Junior Member on 22nd January 2019, 09:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just updated to January 2019 update, everything was fine until i pressed 'Restart now' after it finished updating. Now it froze at Androidone screen. I hold the power button, it vibrates and looks like it's starting up but instead it freezes again at Androidone screen. If I unplug my phone it seemingly shuts down after a while, but again if I try anything it's the same thing again and I remain stuck at the Androidone screen. Please help. Thanks, Vladan
22nd January 2019, 10:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Same issue. After the update..phone boots up to Androidone logo and shuts down. If the I press the power button, it vibrates and comes up to Androidone logo and screen goes blank again
22nd January 2019, 10:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have same problem. for me it because I forgot to remove Magisk before update. I fix by flash December Rom and then update January pacth.
22nd January 2019, 10:47 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedBB

Same issue. After the update..phone boots up to Androidone logo and shuts down. If the I press the power button, it vibrates and comes up to Androidone logo and screen goes blank again

So what to do??
22nd January 2019, 10:59 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladankrle

So what to do??

I have no idea. I didn't try any methods until now.
23rd January 2019, 09:18 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladankrle

I just updated to January 2019 update, everything was fine until i pressed 'Restart now' after it finished updating. Now it froze at Androidone screen. I hold the power button, it vibrates and looks like it's starting up but instead it freezes again at Androidone screen. If I unplug my phone it seemingly shuts down after a while, but again if I try anything it's the same thing again and I remain stuck at the Androidone screen. Please help. Thanks, Vladan

I have the same issue. I am able to use fastboot commands from my computer, but cannot (or do not know how to) sideload update .tgz file I downloaded from en.miui.com.
Also, I am unable to use adb commands and boot into recovery.
23rd January 2019, 03:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
same issue with two mi a2. stuck on bootloader after update.
23rd January 2019, 10:39 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 47

More
I can press and hold vol- + power to boot into fast boot.
Then press and hold vol+ + power to get it to boot back to the old partition for normal use.

There might be another update later on which would probably fix the issue?

I tried to update again and now I get the same issue ouch...
24th January 2019, 04:46 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Mine went well but I did something wrong in Magisk and it stop booting.
In fastboot mode I've changed it from A to B and it loaded PIE with january update. So, try to change from A to B ou B to A and see if that fixes the problem.
24th January 2019, 08:31 PM |#10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Tried to boot this morning but no luck.
However... The phone came back to live this evening but God knows how.

Mmm... What is going on
24th January 2019, 10:32 PM |#11  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Confirmed, unfortunately
Dammit, you guys!..:) UNFORTUNATELY, this is confirmed!!

Brand new Mi A2 (Global Version), from the shop today and went through System updates - through, to Google January 2019 Security Update and the device will not boot; same problem as with everybody else here. Argh.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken218

However... The phone came back to live this evening but God knows how.

Yup, had just managed to start it: system was up. Went for a Factory Reset and now I'm back in the loop. Stuck again, just upon rebooting. :( This is going the be a serious issue.

Quote:

Try to start it with holding both volume buttons down and power - then release after logo and, also -perhaps- volume down.

^^ At least, that's what I think I'd done, heh. Sorry, not 100% sure, all happened in -serious- panic! xF

EDIT: Ah, well, thank God (LOL). It looks like there isn't anything wrong with Google's "Security patch level: January 5, 2019" (Android 9)!

However, because this happened through normal operation - it seems that a LOT of people *are* going to have this problem...

How many know that you should Factory (Data) Reset after a (regular, OTA) update; and how many will be able to boot their device, out of the loop. Geez!

P.S. Btw., you owe me *beers! ;$

EDIT: Zomg., this thread is a duplicate, already @
Code:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2/help/bootloop-recent-android-ota-update-t3892559
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)