FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

{Noob Guide} Unlock Bootloader n Root with Magisk With Easy OTA Support ! {No Twrp}

55 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By Adinid, Member on 21st October 2018, 11:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty could be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Same statement for XDA.

This is my first time posting here on xda if i miss some rules please let me know

Installing drivers & Preparing PC (Thanks to balazs312)

- Download this file and extract it
- Open and install "adb-setup-1.4.3.exe"
- When it is done, go to "Drivers" folder and start "miflash_unlock.exe"
- Click on the gear icon top right corner and click on "Check" next to "Click the button to install the drive"
- Do as the installer says
- Hopefully the drivers has been installed so we're done with it

NOW Unlock Bootloader (It will wipe ur data! so backup before doing it)

-Open the Settings app on ur phone

-Go to System.

-Tap on About phone.

-Scroll down and tap on Build number 7 times until it says you’re now a developer.

-Go back one page you should see “Developer options.” click it

-then you should see an “OEM unlocking” option. Enable it.

-Scroll down a bit until you see “USB debugging.” Enable it.

-Disable automatic updates

-now turn off your phone

-now turn on ur phone in fastboot mode by pressing volume down + power key in will boot in fastboot mode

- Download zip and extract it on your PC
- Open it and type "cmd" (without the quotations) in the file manager header where you see (This computer>somethingsomething>Mi A2 fastboot), don't be afraid just type it in, and hit enter and you'll enter into command prompt
- Now we are ready for action
- Type these commands one by one:

Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
done now pop up will show on your phone select unlock bootloader with volume key n power

it will reboot set up ur phone again

2. Installing Magisk

To Install Magisk you need patched boot image you can have one from here
{always use img that matches exactly to ur build no}

OR
{OPTIONAL}
you can make own boot img

download fastboot rom and get boot.img from there
or download untouched img from here

so now ur phone is unlocked download magisk manager and install it from HERE

copy that untouched boot image from ur pc to phone

open magisk manager >install >patch boot image select ur boot img u just transferred

magisk manager will create a patch image in same directory or download folder

Fastboot patch img

Now if u have created ur own patch img transfer it to pc from ur phone n put it in adb folder

or if u have simply downloaded the patch image copy it to adb folder

Open a fastboot command prompt on your pc.

Type "fastboot boot {patched boot image name}.img"

Your phone will reboot

Install the magisk apk.

Now open Magisk Manager app

Click Install, direct install. Wait for the process

And click reboot.

HOW TO APPLY OTA UPDATES

IMPORTANT: it will only work if you do not alter system yourself like build.prop (try altering system just using magisk modules)

{if u created ur own patch img}
When you know that a new OTA update is available and you want to install it, open Magisk Manager, and tap on "Uninstall" > "Restore Images"

{if u have not created ur own img put untouched downloaded build.img in magisk folder then}
When you know that a new OTA update is available and you want to install it, open Magisk Manager, and tap on "Uninstall" > "Restore Images"

Close Magisk Manager and go to "Settings" > "About Phone" > "System update" and install the OTA update. Dont Reboot

Open Magisk Manager again and tap on "Install" > "Install" > "Install to Inactive Slot" and after that you can tap on "Reboot".

alternatively

Magisk could alert you that it cannot restore the original boot.img when you trying to uninstall

To fix this, you can flash directly the untouched boot.img through fastboot
Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
then you will get ur active slot it might be a or b

if its a then use

Code:
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
If its b then use

Code:
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

Now We Have Mi A2 Telegram Group get in if u want to help or need some help

OffTopic Group HERE
Development Group HERE
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Adinid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Adinid Ad-Free

21st October 2018, 11:06 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
-reserved-
23rd October 2018, 08:46 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
i have just created this account to reply here it
i used to read here alot but i dont reply here
as i found this thread has no reply but the best method i was searching for on internet for my mi a2

i just got my mi a2 was highly confused how to root because of a/b partition and no official twrp

i found this method among the best no confusion straight on point
and seriously a noob guide

thank you for the this !
GuestX00508
23rd October 2018, 10:02 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekh

i have just created this account to reply here it
i used to read here alot but i dont reply here
as i found this thread has no reply but the best method i was searching for on internet for my mi a2

i just got my mi a2 was highly confused how to root because of a/b partition and no official twrp

i found this method among the best no confusion straight on point
and seriously a noob guide

thank you for the this !

I personally think that there are at times some confusion. but it remains a more reliable method. (in terms of ease this method (https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...t3856980/amp/) is by far the fatest, try it after your next ota)
23rd October 2018, 11:58 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas/ML

I personally think that there are at times some confusion. but it remains a reliable method. in terms of ease this method (https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...t3856980/amp/) is by far the easiest, try it after your next ota

I have just checked your linked thread first of all its wrong to promote your own thread like this
u are fishing people to come to your thread thats completely wrong and unprofessional you are on xda maintain some professionalism !

if someone wants to use your thread he/she will use it by themselves ,its visible to all !

and about your method i didnt wanted to use ur method i have looked into it you are using temp twrp method using unoffical twrp which i dont want to use thats personal preference i will wait for official twrp before flashing !

this method is best for me(noob here might be not as good as you but i know basic stuff) i can easily flash twrp permanenlty as soon as it is released without any further steps

Not everyone wants to use that temp twrp method

It is not fair to @Adinid who has taken so much time writing this great noob friendly thread
coming to his thread and telling people that ur thread is best or easiest is isnt good my friend !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geekh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geekh Ad-Free
23rd October 2018, 12:46 PM |#6  

More
in OTA part,"put untouched downloaded build.img in magisk folder",This is invalid,I test it on V9.6.13,It always prompts that the backup image was not found.
GuestX00508
23rd October 2018, 02:21 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekh

I have just checked your linked thread first of all its wrong to promote your own thread like this
u are fishing people to come to your thread thats completely wrong and unprofessional you are on xda maintain some professionalism !

if someone wants to use your thread he/she will use it by themselves ,its visible to all !

and about your method i didnt wanted to use ur method i have looked into it you are using temp twrp method using unoffical twrp which i dont want to use thats personal preference i will wait for official twrp before flashing !

this method is best for me(noob here might be not as good as you but i know basic stuff) i can easily flash twrp permanenlty as soon as it is released without any further steps

Not everyone wants to use that temp twrp method

It is not fair to @Adinid who has taken so much time writing this great noob friendly thread
coming to his thread and telling people that ur thread is best or easiest is isnt good my friend !

I personally think that official twrp will never support boot, because At first glance the beta does'nt support it. So my method will be the simplest for a while.
As for the sharing of MY guide, it is a simpler and faster method. And it will allow more people to root their phone without following 50,000 steps and without fear of brick their phone ...
If @@Adinidhas a problem with sharing my guide, he can tell me privately on Telgram, and I'll delete it.
Have nice day,
Matteo
23rd October 2018, 02:53 PM |#8  
Flag tucson
Thanks Meter: 288

More
I don't really care which method people use to do one thing or another. It's up to them, whatever they feel most comfortable doing.

But, I do care when someone misuses the 'code' functionality box. It's not used for 'further description'... it's used for CODE... ie, actual code:

like: fastboot boot bootloader
like: adb shell setprop persist (etc)

It's meant to be something someone can copy and paste it to the command line, to avoid typing errors, not for 'further descriptions...'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsItLies For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AsItLies Ad-Free
23rd October 2018, 03:18 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas/ML

I personally think that official twrp will never support boot, because At first glance the beta does'nt support it. So my method will be the simplest for a while.
As for the sharing of MY guide, it is a simpler and faster method. And it will allow more people to root their phone without following 50,000 steps and without fear of brick their phone ...
If @@Adinidhas a problem with sharing my guide, he can tell me privately on Telgram, and I'll delete it.
Have nice day,
Matteo

Your Reply shows your arrogance and unprofessionalism nothing else

you think the method you have is best u dont want to even think that someone can have other method n others might prefer it

you are just boasting about your method as best n what not lol !

instead of accepting that you did wrong by sharing your thread here , you are trying pull down op thread by shamelessly telling people that op method might brick phone n needs 50k steps(that is completely NOT true ) when ur method CAN also brick it !

you both have given options to users its their pick which one they want to use !

I dont want to waste my time here to educate you about how to behave in public forum !
Just want to say calm down put ur arrogance on side,show some maturity and even please try to change ur attitude
you might be good but try to learn as it doesnt matter how good you are there is always someone who is better than you n others might prefer it more !

different people have diff use cases preferences always remember that

peace !
23rd October 2018, 03:41 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsItLies

I don't really care which method people use to do one thing or another. It's up to them, whatever they feel most comfortable doing.

But, I do care when someone misuses the 'code' functionality box. It's not used for 'further description'... it's used for CODE... ie, actual code:

like: fastboot boot bootloader
like: adb shell setprop persist (etc)

It's meant to be something someone can copy and paste it to the command line, to avoid typing errors, not for 'further descriptions...'

Thank you for your feedback sir, i have just started posting here as i wrote it in my initial post
my apologies will try to format it properly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adinid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Adinid Ad-Free
23rd October 2018, 03:44 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianma163

in OTA part,"put untouched downloaded build.img in magisk folder",This is invalid,I test it on V9.6.13,It always prompts that the backup image was not found.

looking into it
till then i just added alternate method use that !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader / fastboot, guide ; tool ; mod ; all in one ; devs, magisk, ota, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)