FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] [ROOT] [MAGISK] How to Root Mi A3 with MAGISK without TWRP

555 posts
Thanks Meter: 403

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello!

There's a guide already on XDA that covers this matter but in a general way and for all devices. That guide was based on the general info you may find on the original installation guide by @topjohnwu. So, all credits go to him.

Anyway, since there ins't a TWRP Recovery for Mi A3 (yet) and since I believe that many of you don't know about this, Iv'e decided to share here the steps I've done in order to root Mi A3.
NOTE: Now that we already have a working TWRP available for Mi A3, to root it you can now simply follow THESE steps after unlocking the bootloader.

The guide present on this thread, of course, works as well, so I'll leave it here for those of you who don't want to permanently install TWRP to your device.
1 - Unlock the bootloader (if you haven't done it already...beware that this will erase all of your user data). To do so, you must:
  • Enable developer options
  • Enable the "OEM unlocking" option
  • Enable USB debugging
  • Have both adb and fastboot, from SDK Platform Tools available on your PC
  • Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable and run the following commands:
Code:
adb devices
(just to make sure that your phone is, in fact, recognized by your PC and that you're able to run adb commands)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
(so your phone will reboot into fastboot mode)
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
(after rebooting, boot the phone again into fastboot mode)
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
(for full unlock)
2 - Download Mi A3 stock boot.img that you may find on THIS GitHub
  • Copy this boot.img to your phone internal (or external) memory
  • Leave a copy of it on your PC (on the same folder you have adb and fastboot...we never know if we don't need to use it again in the future...you know, to restore the stock boot.img, aka revert to stock...)
NOTES:At the time this post was written, the build on my phone was V10.3.5.0 (EU), that's why I've pointed to branch 10.3.5.0 on GitHub. If you're following this guide having a new or earlier build running, make sure to get the boot.img on the branch that matches your current build.

If, for your current build, there isn't a stock boot.img released yet, you may get one yourselves. How? READ THIS.

For all of you currently on 10.3.7.0 (EU) build, you may download stock boot.img HERE.

For all of you currently on 10.3.8.0 (EU) build, you may download stock boot.img HERE.

For all of you currently on 10.3.9.0 (EU) build, you may download stock boot.img HERE.

3 - Download latest Magisk Manager from HERE and install it on your phone

4 - Open Magisk Manager App and press:
  • Install
  • Install (again)
  • Select and Patch a File
  • Browse to the path where you saved stock boot.img and select it
Magisk Manager will now patch the boot image and store it in [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img

5 - Copy the patched boot image from your device to your PC
  • Store it on the same folder where you have adb and fastboot
  • If you can’t find it via MTP, you can pull the file with ADB
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
6 - Uninstall Magisk Manager App from your phone (I'm not sure if this is really needed but I've done it anyway...)

7 - Flash the patched boot image to your phone by running these commands (remember, you must have patched boot image on the same folder you have adb and fastboot and, of course, your device must be connected to your PC...)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
Code:
fastboot continue
(THIS IS IMPORTANT! USE CONTINUE INSTEAD OF REBOOT! You have been warned!!!)

8 - After the phone boots up, hopefully with a normal boot (almost feels like nothing happened....), install Magisk Manager App again and watch Magisk doing it's magic!

9 - Enjoy!

All credits goes to topjohnwu and it's incredible work with Magisk.

I cannot be responsible if you turn your phone into a brick. Your phone, your choices, your responsibility!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190817-231422.png
Views:	1468
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	4807286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190817-231458.png
Views:	1466
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	4807287  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Typhus_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Typhus_ Ad-Free

18th August 2019, 07:52 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks!
Been waiting for someone to create a cannonical guide of how to root this phone.
Saw someone with magisk who had WiFi problems, WiFi works ok you?
Also one would assume it disables the OTA update feature, probably better write it.
18th August 2019, 10:38 AM |#3  
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 345

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzarmo

WiFi problems appears when you flash boot not from your ROM build. Use only the same boot.img to the build number of ROM.

Quote:

Also one would assume it disables the OTA update feature, probably better write it.

It is. But you can still update via Magisk if you don`t touch system partitions. Else - flash manualy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Displax For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Displax Ad-Free
18th August 2019, 05:31 PM |#4  
Flag Bordeaux
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Wow,
Thank's a lot!
As you said, I didn't know this way to root a device.
19th August 2019, 10:38 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lisbon

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That someone was me. But, I believe that happened because I've used boot.img from 10.3.4.0 branch on GitHub (instead of using boot.img from 10.3.5.0 branch) and, also, I've used "fastboot reboot" command instead of "fastboot continue". As soon as the 10.3.5.0 branch appeared online I've decided to test this method again and it worked, that's why I've decided to share this with all community.

Quote:

I don't think it will disable OTA feature. Probably, as soon as a new OTA comes out it will be installed on Slot A (because up until now there's only been one update and it was installed on slot B...so everyone should now be on firmware V10.3.5.0 running on Slot B). So, if I'm not mistaken, the "worst" thing that could happen is to lose root (since the update will be installed on Slot A and boot.img on that Slot is still the stock one).

Cheers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Typhus_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Typhus_ Ad-Free
19th August 2019, 12:24 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhus_

Cheers!

Why thank you dear, I'll root now if so.
21st August 2019, 12:41 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lisbon

Donate to Me
More
Hello!

Well, in fact, this method breaks OTA. It downloads but it doesn't install.

My guess is we need to flash stock boot.img and then apply the OTA update and then patch the new boot.img again.

I've noticed a new boot.img on GitHub today, hopefully it will be the correct one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Typhus_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Typhus_ Ad-Free
22nd August 2019, 08:07 AM |#8  
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 345

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhus_

Hello!
Well, in fact, this method breaks OTA. It downloads but it doesn't install.

You can simply follow this guide, if you do not touch system partitions.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...-ab-partitions
22nd August 2019, 09:19 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lisbon

Donate to Me
More
Tried it already. It ain't possible because of 2 reasons:

1 - The supposly boot.img backup doesn't exist. Probably Magisk only does it if installed through TWRP and not by patching boot.img

2 - The OTA package fails to install. "A problem has occurred"...while trying to initiate the install.

Enviado do meu Mi A3 através do Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Typhus_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Typhus_ Ad-Free
22nd August 2019, 12:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
When do you think twrp will be released for mi a3?
22nd August 2019, 06:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
okay so I installed FDE magisk module now my phone is stuck at the bootscreen. Someone got a stock rom for me ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fully unlock bootloader, magisk, root mi a3

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)