FORUMS

Easier Non-Root way to get Oculus Home not to autolaunch (use cardboard apps, etc)

196 posts
Thanks Meter: 134

By robamacaf, Senior Member on 24th November 2015, 05:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1: Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ablerpro&hl=en
You can try the free version, but this is pretty cheap for what you get. This allows you to freeze the Oculus Service app so it doesn't auto launch. And you DO NOT need Root

2: Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eloadvr.market
Next up, you need to get your signature file and make an app and install it so you can enable developer mode. This app makes it super easy and will guide you through the app creation process. It'll have you get your sig file, upload it, and you can just pick a random app that it'll repack, and it does this all on your phone

Now that you have both of those done, turn on developer mode to reduce blurriness.
Go to your device Settings -> Application manager -> Gear VR Service (usually in the "Downloaded" section but could also be in the "All" section).
Tap on "Manage storage"
Tap the "VR Service Version" number six times.
Wait for scan process to complete and you should now see the Developer Mode toggle on this screen.

ENJOY! It worked on my Tmobile Note 5, not rooted.

And here is the google cardboard profile to get the best picture, less distortion on GearVR : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7H...ew?usp=sharing
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robamacaf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robamacaf Ad-Free
24th November 2015, 05:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I find the Package Disabler Pro works very well.
26th December 2015, 06:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
When I tapped VR Service Version it scanned and said "You are NOT a developer" Developer mode is on, what did I do wrong?

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

When I try to build the app it takes several minutes then gives the error “Parse Error : There is a problem parsing the package” Help?

I'm using a galaxy Note 5. I've already enabled unknown sources, enabled developer mode and restarted the device.
1st January 2016, 05:18 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yes package disabler is the best way i found
Google package disabler pro.apk or pay the mear $1.95 for it then open her up and then ONLY check gear vr service, then launch your cardboard and 3rd party stuff. Note " you will have to enable and disable every time to revert back to using regular oculus launch browser"
2nd January 2016, 06:29 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
sgear vr consumer edition.

I have developer option enabled, I'm trying to use cineveo app, off of the play store, but it does not continue to play when the phone (s6 edge +) is placed in the vr unit. I have stopped the Occulus start up, but,
a
I wonder if you could please be more clear about which of the several entries should be disabled, in case I have disabled the wrong entry or, maybe it should be more than one.

b.
Is it possible some one might give me, an idiot proof walkthru of how to enable and use cineveo.

Thank you for this thread and your help so far, Happy New Year to all on Xda.
5th January 2016, 09:55 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungwarrior

sgear vr consumer edition.

I have developer option enabled, I'm trying to use cineveo app, off of the play store, but it does not continue to play when the phone (s6 edge +) is placed in the vr unit. I have stopped the Occulus start up, but,
a
I wonder if you could please be more clear about which of the several entries should be disabled, in case I have disabled the wrong entry or, maybe it should be more than one.

b.
Is it possible some one might give me, an idiot proof walkthru of how to enable and use cineveo.

Thank you for this thread and your help so far, Happy New Year to all on Xda.

I did not use Cinevo yet, I will try it later but if you ask about which process should be disabled to be able to use cardboard apps, you need to disable Gear Vr Services.
I also use gear vr light (consumer edition) on sgs6+.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-05-10-53-02.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	3599589  
8th January 2016, 11:47 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsefrith

I did not use Cinevo yet, I will try it later but if you ask about which process should be disabled to be able to use cardboard apps, you need to disable Gear Vr Services.
I also use gear vr light (consumer edition) on sgs6+.

Thanks very much for your reply, I'll keep an eye open for any experience you have to share.
10th January 2016, 01:34 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
All you have to do is buy package disabled from play store and disable gear vr service and you are good to go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
10th January 2016, 03:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
The new Gear VR for S6/Edge/Edge+/Note5 apparently uses different drivers. There s no Gear VR Service. Turning off Oculus Home stops it from loading, but something is still starting. The screen goes black and the proximity sensor is working. I tried disabling all of the Oculus apps and all combinations. No luck.

Suggestions?
10th January 2016, 04:47 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB847

The new Gear VR for S6/Edge/Edge+/Note5 apparently uses different drivers. There s no Gear VR Service. Turning off Oculus Home stops it from loading, but something is still starting. The screen goes black and the proximity sensor is working. I tried disabling all of the Oculus apps and all combinations. No luck.

Suggestions?

Type in VR in the search box and you will see the Gear VR Service., It works on the S6 edge.
The Following User Says Thank You to shanksv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shanksv Ad-Free
10th January 2016, 11:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
So what does enabling developer mode actually do? I can see it makes the screen warmer and if flickers a bit but how does this reduce distortion?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)