[Solved] [Magisk Module] [Oreo Update] Spoofing "Daydream ready device" on a Nexus 6P

Search This thread

dalstam

Aug 1, 2010
Amsterdam
OnePlus 7T
Having problems here. Installed the module, rebooted but still playstore detects nexus 6p as not daydream ready. Furthermore, this also happens when launching the sideloaded daydream app.
Weird thing is, this still fools any other apps checking for your phone model (ex rootchecker detects as pixelXL)

Got a Nexus 6p magisk rooted (v14) on stock android oreo 8.0.0

Anyone with the same problem?

Same problem here. OP5T with oreo update. Nougat worked like a charm. I think it is oreo related issue

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Having problems here. Installed the module, rebooted but still playstore detects nexus 6p as not daydream ready. Furthermore, this also happens when launching the sideloaded daydream app.
Weird thing is, this still fools any other apps checking for your phone model (ex rootchecker detects as pixelXL)

Got a Nexus 6p magisk rooted (v14) on stock android oreo 8.0.0

Anyone with the same problem?

Same problem here. OP5T with oreo update. Nougat worked like a charm. I think it is oreo related issue

tazzkiller

Nov 23, 2010
if you want i have created an updated module for oreo that works for me on the oneplus3.
You just have to deactivate it in the daydream developer options "motion latency" to remove the black bar

Attachments

• DaydreamBypass.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 241

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
if you want i have created an updated module for oreo that works for me on the oneplus3.
You just have to deactivate it in the daydream developer options "motion latency" to remove the black bar

thx. featured and credited in OP so ppl find it better.
there is no recovery yet for my new phone so no magisk. once i have that again i try to get daydream running. kirin 659 should have enough power.

Sent from my Honor 9 Lite using XDA Labs

numios

Mar 6, 2018
TL;DR Skip to the last paragraph!

Daydream runs pretty nice on my n6p. sucks to sideload all apps also not all apps can be found on google. so i wanted play store to recognize my device as "daydream ready" and let me download all daydream apps. a little googleing later i found 2 reddits explaining what to do and saying "it works" in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/co...got_daydream_working_on_a_oneplus33t/dbmy2it/ creating 2 new files in /system/etc/permissions/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5hno6u/got_daydream_to_work_on_my_5x_might_work_on_other/ put the 2 feature tags in handheld_core_hardware.xml

none of those worked. i could start sideloaded daydream apps before this. updating/downloading from play store is my issue.

things i didnt try yet:
- a clean flash of the rom then change the permission files in twrp adb then reboot.
- putting the feature tags in 2 seperate files AND in handheld_core_hardware.xml
- https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../etc/android.hardware.vr.high_performance.xml has the <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> and the high performance mode tag in it. didnt try that 2 tags in one file way yet.

anybody got this to work yet? if so pls share :D

EDIT: i made a magisk v10 module changing the build.prop. if anyone wants to do it this way feel free to dl the attached module.zip. just downloaded some previously "incompatible" apps. idk what happens if u install it on a device that is not daydream-compatible. n6p is the dev device so it is compat but not daydream-ready. as every dev i take no responsibility for anything. u flash this at ur own risk. that it requires magisk to be installed and working is self-explainatory. just ignore the "wrong vendor.img" warning that pops up on booting.

UPDATE: magisk module disabling bug fixed since some versions ago.

V1.1 : quick and dirty commented out out manufacuturer line and zipped it again. still v10/11 magisk template but it works. just tested. template didnt change much anyway to v12 i think.

DaydreamBypass.zip : version for oreo by @tazzkiller
hi! i tried to install the both modules on my XZP G8142. The first module was not installed, but the 2nd was instaled and Magisk v16 showed DONE. how to install the first module Pixelfly and enable Daydream VR support?

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
hi! i tried to install the both modules on my XZP G8142. The first module was not installed, but the 2nd was instaled and Magisk v16 showed DONE. how to install the first module Pixelfly and enable Daydream VR support?

the second one should alrdy do that. its the same as my old module but updated for oreo

Sent from my Honor 9 Lite using XDA Labs

Thempo

Mar 22, 2018
I added the two lines to the hardware file thingy in system/etc/permissions/ and I added the module DaydreamBypass for oreo. I'm using a Mi A1 phone and everytime I click on the Daydream Launcher button inside the app it closes the app. Same thing happens when I open other Daydream supported VRApps. Any fix for this?

VAHLTE

Oct 16, 2018
Bergen
www.youtube.com
Support on Pie?

TL;DR Skip to the last paragraph!

Daydream runs pretty nice on my n6p. sucks to sideload all apps also not all apps can be found on google. so i wanted play store to recognize my device as "daydream ready" and let me download all daydream apps. a little googleing later i found 2 reddits explaining what to do and saying "it works" in the comments.

none of those worked. i could start sideloaded daydream apps before this. updating/downloading from play store is my issue.

things i didnt try yet:
- a clean flash of the rom then change the permission files in twrp adb then reboot.
- putting the feature tags in 2 seperate files AND in handheld_core_hardware.xml
has the <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> and the high performance mode tag in it. didnt try that 2 tags in one file way yet.

anybody got this to work yet? if so pls share :D

EDIT: i made a magisk v10 module changing the build.prop. if anyone wants to do it this way feel free to dl the attached module.zip. just downloaded some previously "incompatible" apps. idk what happens if u install it on a device that is not daydream-compatible. n6p is the dev device so it is compat but not daydream-ready. as every dev i take no responsibility for anything. u flash this at ur own risk. that it requires magisk to be installed and working is self-explainatory. just ignore the "wrong vendor.img" warning that pops up on booting.

UPDATE: magisk module disabling bug fixed since some versions ago.

V1.1 : quick and dirty commented out out manufacuturer line and zipped it again. still v10/11 magisk template but it works. just tested. template didnt change much anyway to v12 i think.

DaydreamBypass.zip : version for oreo by @tazzkiller

Will this be made to work on unsupported Android Pie devices, such as the Essential PH-1 or the OnePlus 6?
I know of the old manual solution, but it doesn't work. Neither does your method

itsdundee

Jun 27, 2019
Hey guys, everything works fine on xperia xz premium but the screen ratio is like 21:9, but i need 16:9, does anyone know a solution for this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here you go::

1) Get a build.prop editor out of the play store once you have acquired root access.
    2) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "marlin", without the quotes.
    • ro.build.product
    • ro.product.device
    • ro.product.board
    • ro.product.name

3) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "Google", without the quotes.
    ro.product.manufacturer

4) Locate the following string of text to "Pixel XL", without the quotes.
    ro.product.model

5) Locate the following string of text and change what is written there to "google/marlin/marlin:7.1/NDE63L/3273814:user/release-keys" without the quotes.
    ro.build.fingerprint

The last part might not be the proper string of text but I am doing this off of memory. Just look for the text that looks like the above and swap it out. After you do this, reboot your device. You will get an error message or two upon booting up and the first boot may take longer than normal but it works. I've personally done it with my 6P to get proper Daydream store games because I wanted to play Gunjack and ArcSlinger. Your build.prop editor should save the original build.prop as a build.prop.bak. When you are done installing your new games, simply change the new build.prop to build.prop.bak1, and the original back to a build.prop

The only bugs I have noticed with this are that during the first 24 hours after doing this I continually got an overheating message while in daydream even when the device wasn't hot. I don't know if time played a factor or multiple reboots but eventually the message stopped popping up. Let me know if it works for you.
    How to get past this screen?
    Not able to proceed even if I enter my credentials.

i never had that screen lol. cant help you sorry. i have a paypal linked with my playstore since ages ago maybe thats why it never asked me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs
    How did u skip add payment option?

I never got that option. maybe because I have paypal linked to playstore as previous guy said.

Seriously, don't waste your time.