[Solved] [Magisk Module] [Oreo Update] Spoofing "Daydream ready device" on a Nexus 6P

Search This thread

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
[Solved] [Magisk Module] [Oreo Update] Spoofing "Daydream ready device" on a Nexus 6P

TL;DR Skip to the last paragraph!

Daydream runs pretty nice on my n6p. sucks to sideload all apps also not all apps can be found on google. so i wanted play store to recognize my device as "daydream ready" and let me download all daydream apps. a little googleing later i found 2 reddits explaining what to do and saying "it works" in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/co...got_daydream_working_on_a_oneplus33t/dbmy2it/ creating 2 new files in /system/etc/permissions/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5hno6u/got_daydream_to_work_on_my_5x_might_work_on_other/ put the 2 feature tags in handheld_core_hardware.xml

none of those worked. i could start sideloaded daydream apps before this. updating/downloading from play store is my issue.

things i didnt try yet:
- a clean flash of the rom then change the permission files in twrp adb then reboot.
- putting the feature tags in 2 seperate files AND in handheld_core_hardware.xml
- https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../etc/android.hardware.vr.high_performance.xml has the <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> and the high performance mode tag in it. didnt try that 2 tags in one file way yet.

anybody got this to work yet? if so pls share :D

EDIT: i made a magisk v10 module changing the build.prop. if anyone wants to do it this way feel free to dl the attached module.zip. just downloaded some previously "incompatible" apps. idk what happens if u install it on a device that is not daydream-compatible. n6p is the dev device so it is compat but not daydream-ready. as every dev i take no responsibility for anything. u flash this at ur own risk. that it requires magisk to be installed and working is self-explainatory. just ignore the "wrong vendor.img" warning that pops up on booting.

UPDATE: magisk module disabling bug fixed since some versions ago.

V1.1 : quick and dirty commented out out manufacuturer line and zipped it again. still v10/11 magisk template but it works. just tested. template didnt change much anyway to v12 i think.

DaydreamBypass.zip : version for oreo by @tazzkiller

Attachments

• pixelify-4rk4n-v1.1-magisk.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 7,575
  • DaydreamBypass.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,182
Last edited:

Varking

Jan 16, 2010
Winston Salem
Here you go::

1) Get a build.prop editor out of the play store once you have acquired root access.
2) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "marlin", without the quotes.
  • ro.build.product
  • ro.product.device
  • ro.product.board
  • ro.product.name

3) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "Google", without the quotes.
ro.product.manufacturer

4) Locate the following string of text to "Pixel XL", without the quotes.
ro.product.model

5) Locate the following string of text and change what is written there to "google/marlin/marlin:7.1/NDE63L/3273814:user/release-keys" without the quotes.
ro.build.fingerprint

The last part might not be the proper string of text but I am doing this off of memory. Just look for the text that looks like the above and swap it out. After you do this, reboot your device. You will get an error message or two upon booting up and the first boot may take longer than normal but it works. I've personally done it with my 6P to get proper Daydream store games because I wanted to play Gunjack and ArcSlinger. Your build.prop editor should save the original build.prop as a build.prop.bak. When you are done installing your new games, simply change the new build.prop to build.prop.bak1, and the original back to a build.prop

The only bugs I have noticed with this are that during the first 24 hours after doing this I continually got an overheating message while in daydream even when the device wasn't hot. I don't know if time played a factor or multiple reboots but eventually the message stopped popping up. Let me know if it works for you.

Reactions: 4RK4N

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G

1) Get a build.prop editor out of the play store once you have acquired root access.
2) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "marlin", without the quotes.
ro.build.product
ro.product.device
ro.product.board
ro.product.name

3) Locate the following strings of texts and change what is written there to "Google", without the quotes.
ro.product.manufacturer

ro.product.model

5) Locate the following string of text and change what is written there to "google/marlin/marlin:7.1/NDE63L/3273814:user/release-keys" without the quotes.
ro.build.fingerprint

The last part might not be the proper string of text but I am doing this off of memory. Just look for the text that looks like the above and swap it out. After you do this, reboot your device. You will get an error message or two upon booting up and the first boot may take longer than normal but it works. I've personally done it with my 6P to get proper Daydream store games because I wanted to play Gunjack and ArcSlinger. Your build.prop editor should save the original build.prop as a build.prop.bak. When you are done installing your new games, simply change the new build.prop to build.prop.bak1, and the original back to a build.prop

The only bugs I have noticed with this are that during the first 24 hours after doing this I continually got an overheating message while in daydream even when the device wasn't hot. I don't know if time played a factor or multiple reboots but eventually the message stopped popping up. Let me know if it works for you.

oh so its build.prop not permissions. or do i need those too?
will make me a magisk module for the build.prop mods tomorrow or so. and tell u how it worked out. u dont recommend keeping the changed build.prop?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Varking

Jan 16, 2010
Winston Salem
All I did is unlock my bootloader, root my phone, and edit the build.prop. I would keep both build.props. It makes it so you can easily switch to the Pixel XL settings to download and install new games, and then load the original 6P ones again after you are done. Editing the build.prop like above had Google email me a welcome to the Pixel family email, too lol.

But I have 100% working daydream and store access just by doing what I listed above.

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
oh so its build.prop not permissions. or do i need those too?
will make me a magisk module for the build.prop mods tomorrow or so. and tell u how it worked out. u dont recommend keeping the changed build.prop?

I'm on a Nexus 5X and I'm on Pixel ROM, but I've heard keeping that build.prop change is fine. It doesn't affect Nexus as our OTAs and Stock apps don't need it. It'll just give you access to the Pixel specific apps

LeoYL

Feb 9, 2015
Beijing
My experience on Sony Xperia Z1 says that you need to clear data of Google Play Service and Google Play Store after you modify the XMLs in system. I guess that by doing this, your device will be updated as a "Daydream ready phone" in Google's database.
By the way, Xperia Z1's Daydream doesn't work on AOSP 7.1.1. It crashes. Anyway, after I cleaned the data of those two apps, I can download apps like Daydream, Google VR Service, Daydream Keyboard, etc. from Google Play.

Last edited:

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
UPDATE:
apparently the build.prop modifications crash google camera (latest purenexus). fc upon opening the app.
also various daydream apps (twilight pioneers, vr karts sprint, etc) report "phone overheating" quite fast and force you to "cool the phone" with a "take it out of the headset and close the app" vr screen.
interstingly disabling the magisk module in magisk manager wasnt enough. build.prop was still set to the pixel xl values. uninstalling my module restored original build.prop.
no "wrong vendor.img" warning, google camera works, i still get "performance reduced. phone overheating." overlay warnings while playing daydream games but no force cool off time.
so i just install the module again once a week to check for updates on daydream apps and then uninstall it again.

anybody figured out how to disable the kinda annoying "overheating" warning while playing? ^^

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
UPDATE:
apparently the build.prop modifications crash google camera (latest purenexus). fc upon opening the app.
also various daydream apps (twilight pioneers, vr karts sprint, etc) report "phone overheating" quite fast and force you to "cool the phone" with a "take it out of the headset and close the app" vr screen.
interstingly disabling the magisk module in magisk manager wasnt enough. build.prop was still set to the pixel xl values. uninstalling my module restored original build.prop.
no "wrong vendor.img" warning, google camera works, i still get "performance reduced. phone overheating." overlay warnings while playing daydream games but no force cool off time.
so i just install the module again once a week to check for updates on daydream apps and then uninstall it again.

anybody figured out how to disable the kinda annoying "overheating" warning while playing? ^^

About the build.prop, don't change manufacturer. That messes up the camera. Allot.

itinkerstuff

Jan 4, 2017
I'm really interested in making my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge "Daydream-compatible". I don't even have a Daydream headset, just the regular Gear VR. I really wish that Google would just make a Youtube VR app for Gear VR--it's the only reason why I'd like to give Daydream a try. If you want me to test anything, please let me know!

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
I'm really interested in making my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge "Daydream-compatible". I don't even have a Daydream headset, just the regular Gear VR. I really wish that Google would just make a Youtube VR app for Gear VR--it's the only reason why I'd like to give Daydream a try. If you want me to test anything, please let me know!

since it requires the actual daydream headset to activate daydream mode im afraid i cant help you. besides the youtube vr app is optimized for the daydream controller. making it work with the gear vr headset buttons or the gear vr controller would require some rewriting of the yt vr app.

Last edited:

inteks

Oct 14, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S10+
i tested this magisk modul on my s7 edge. seems to work. but then my NFC doesnt work anymore ?!?! so daydream doesnt work.
are really all prop need to be changed?
what build.prop item can make NFC unfunctional?

btw. this is the error i got in Need for Speed VR (logcat) ->
"failed to initialize async reprojection, unsupported device"

Last edited:

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
i tested this magisk modul on my s7 edge. seems to work. but then my NFC doesnt work anymore ?!?! so daydream doesnt work.
are really all prop need to be changed?
what build.prop item can make NFC unfunctional?

btw. this is the error i got in Need for Speed VR (logcat) ->
"failed to initialize async reprojection, unsupported device"

try removing the manufacturer line. maybe nfc still works and u can daydream.

just recived my n6p back from rma (ranfom hardware failure) dunno if module still works with latest magisk.

about nfs vr idk. maybe samsung messed up some graphics function. wait no they call it "optimized" xD find a aosp rom and try it again.

xiaoluwan

Nov 8, 2015
use magisk prompt incompatible

use magisk daydream prompt: ‘’ incompatible phone ‘’
how to deal with .......
my telephone model is Nexus 6
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

4RK4N

Jun 28, 2011
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
use magisk daydream prompt: ‘’ incompatible phone ‘’
how to deal with .......
my telephone model is Nexus 6
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What? give us a little more than a few random words pls. ur post makes like no sense sry to day that.

ALSO: changed the module to NOT alter manufacturer. i still wouldnt recommend having the module always running. just tested it. still can dl all daydream apps while module is active. module disabling works now with magisk yay. new version in first post.

baratheon16

May 24, 2015
How to get past this screen?
Not able to proceed even if I enter my credentials.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170422-173528.png
    Screenshot_20170422-173528.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 449

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 X
Guys don't bother. I got Daydream running on my Moto X Style and virtually all of the 3rd party apps don't work. They either crash on launch or are in full screen 2d mode and not split screen 3d mode. Only the Google made Daydream apps seem to work.

baratheon16

May 24, 2015
Guys don't bother. I got Daydream running on my Moto X Style and virtually all of the 3rd party apps don't work. They either crash on launch or are in full screen 2d mode and not split screen 3d mode. Only the Google made Daydream apps seem to work.
How did u skip add payment option?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you want i have created an updated module for oreo that works for me on the oneplus3.
    You just have to deactivate it in the daydream developer options "motion latency" to remove the black bar

• ro.build.product
    • ro.product.device
    • ro.product.board
    • ro.product.name

ro.product.manufacturer

ro.product.model

ro.build.fingerprint

How to get past this screen?
    Not able to proceed even if I enter my credentials.

i never had that screen lol. cant help you sorry. i have a paypal linked with my playstore since ages ago maybe thats why it never asked me.

How did u skip add payment option?

I never got that option. maybe because I have paypal linked to playstore as previous guy said.

Seriously, don't waste your time.