FORUMS

Looking for any non-launcher 2D android app manager that acts like a launcher

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Miki800, Member on 10th April 2020, 03:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Looking for any non-launcher 2D android app that can run on the quest and acts like a launcher

The public post that explains with a video:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vrma...3336956848923/

I know that there are many android launchers that integrate with the home-screen and that can be set as "default launchers" for android.
I've had no success launching them from oculus quest after I installed their .APKs via sidequest.
My conclusion is that every app that is a launcher can not be launched in oculus quest.

What I am looking for is an app that acts like a launcher, meaning they fulfill the following 2 features:
  • shows a list of 100% of installed apps on the device
  • allows creating virtual "folders" (visible only from the app) for customizing apps sorting (drag and drop from previous (*) )

but that app must not be a launcher.

I have a few bad examples, for example es explorer and kodi - they both are 2D and have oculus-quest-installable-apks and are runnable, and they can launch other apps from their own interfaces, but they are an overkill for my purpose.

I am looking for something light-weight, that acts like go-launcher, but in fact can not be set as a regular android's home screen's default launcher because in fact it does not qualify for android as a launcher, but just yet another 2D app.

Is there such a thing? if not what are closest 2D alternatives that can launch and list other apps that you could list?

Edit:
I've given it more thought, such a solution would be great but still not good enough
as spending a lot of time searching for the 2d launcher in the huge list of installed apps still kind of defeats the purpose.
As a complete solution I need an app manager that has a web interface as well, that way I could quickly connect to it using the browser!
10th April 2020, 05:28 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glextor.appmanager.free

This is a decent 1 option I stumbled upon and it runs on the quest, but I am still looking for something that gives you a web ui to do the same thing

EDIT:
never mind I take it back, this app manager is useless for quest, everything it launches launches in a black screen, yes even vr games, indie games, official oculus store games, everything launches in a black screen. the app in the video above is completely useless for the quest.

I'm back at the beginning, still looking for a customizeable category/folder based 2D app manager for android that can launch vr apps from the quest and not in a black screen.
Preferably one with a web server so I could manage it from a pc and also find it quickly from the quest's browser.
6th May 2020, 06:58 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by subworx

If I understand you correctly, try this: https://sidequestvr.com/app/199/quest-app-launcher

I am already using this, but it has no built in categories manager inside the app, it has to be done manually by editing some json file from a computer.

and also this is a 3d vr app that runs on unity and is heavy,
I want something more lite-weight and quicker but also mandatory that it has a built in categories manager via drag and drop and that it can launch vr apps
so far I have yet to find such a thing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2d apps, launcher, oculus, quest, virtual reality

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)