FORUMS

Moto E 2015 XT 1526 Surnia Version working with Textnow and custom rom

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By taemta3, Member on 10th February 2020, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So maybe you have an old Moto E 2015 XT1526 laying around and want to get free talk and text with Textnow, but don't want to use Android 5.1 OS...and when I would flash a custom rom I would lose LTE and thus couldn't use the Textnow app without WiFi. Well thanks to Deega's thread this is the APN you need to put into your phone...

NAME: TextNOW
APN: spl1368.i.dlsn
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: http://mms.sprintpcs.com
MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 120
Authentication type: not set
APN type: default,mms,ia
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none

So what I did from an unlocked bootloader XT1526 was to
1. reinstall all the stock firmware via fastboot, activate the phone via ##72756#
2. install twrp 3.3.1, flash SU, install root explorer and dig out the APN info.
3. Made a backup.
4. Wiped the phone and then installed custom rom (RR, AICP, Lineage, etc)...then entered the custom APN info listed above, make it the active apn
5. shutdown and restart and profit from free talk and text from Textnow

As a side note you DON'T NEED to buy a 9.99 sim from TextNOW if you have an old sprint GLW236C sim laying around...After I stock flashed my phone I installed this sim, downloaded the TextNOW app and activated via my old SIM, no money out of pocket and now I have a bangin retro burner phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to taemta3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taemta3 Ad-Free
15th February 2020, 10:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, I followed your steps and the data connections to textnow works for the app calling on my Noto E 2015(Boost Mobile). But the connection is only 3G, showed on both status bar and sim card status. I tested webpage loading from google.com and textnow.com, it's 3G speed. I installed LineageOS 16.0 ROM after ##72756# and updating profile and PRL This phone can get sprint LTE connection at the same location before.

I double check /persist/telephony/apn.perm , the settings are the same as above APN setting except MNC is 000 instead of 120. But in the example in Deega's thread, all MNC are set to 000 too.

Could you think of what other reason can make it fail to get LTE ? Thanks a lot.
21st March 2020, 05:10 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Radio Flash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgv20v30

Hi, I followed your steps and the data connections to textnow works for the app calling on my Noto E 2015(Boost Mobile). But the connection is only 3G, showed on both status bar and sim card status. I tested webpage loading from google.com and textnow.com, it's 3G speed. I installed LineageOS 16.0 ROM after ##72756# and updating profile and PRL This phone can get sprint LTE connection at the same location before.

I double check /persist/telephony/apn.perm , the settings are the same as above APN setting except MNC is 000 instead of 120. But in the example in Deega's thread, all MNC are set to 000 too.

Could you think of what other reason can make it fail to get LTE ? Thanks a lot.

I've had this happen on another XT1526 and what I did was completely re-flash from a clean slate...in other words download the XT1526 original firmware and re-flash as back to stock. This should reset your radios...if you flash alot of ROMs sometimes things can fritz up.
The Following User Says Thank You to taemta3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taemta3 Ad-Free
21st March 2020, 06:03 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgv20v30

Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
Sent from my ali using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 04:18 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
weird. so i couldn't get lte after doing the above. so I deleted and readded the apn 2 times before it worked...
26th March 2020, 01:19 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Glad it finally worked
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdause

weird. so i couldn't get lte after doing the above. so I deleted and readded the apn 2 times before it worked...

Seems like you may have a ROM that doesn't like to update APN settings...but in the end if you have it working, CONGRATS you have a nice lil burner phone. I gave mine to my kids.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apn, custom rom, free talk and text, textnow, xt1526

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)