FORUMS

TWRP won't wipe "/system"

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By DaveMacD, Junior Member on 19th April 2016, 06:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm trying to do a full wipe, or factory reset on my Moto E 2015 with TWRP 3.0.2 to get a clean install of a previous Cyanogenmod nightly that didn't cause problems with Google Apps (but that's another story). When I enter TWRP recovery and choose Wipe, it says "Factory Reset Complete - Successful" on the top, but when it gives information about what is happening on the bottom in red letters it says "Unable to mount storage". I did take out my external SD card before this because it has my ROM and Gapps zips on it.
When I go into "Advanced Wipe" and select all the partitions except Micro SD card, it says "Wipe Complete - Failed", and in red letters "failed to unmount /system (device or resource busy) , unable to wipe /system, unable to mount storage".
Before all of this I uninstalled Google Play Services and my Google App because of the "google play services stopped" error, then tried to restore using Titanium backup but it was saying "ten elements failed." That's my reason for trying to wipe everything and start fresh.
So having said all that, I can easily flash my ROM and Gapps again, but I'm concerned about these errors. I'm new at this and am very interested in finding out if I did something wrong.
20th April 2016, 12:39 AM |#2  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMacD

I'm trying to do a full wipe, or factory reset on my Moto E 2015 with TWRP 3.0.2 to get a clean install of a previous Cyanogenmod nightly that didn't cause problems with Google Apps (but that's another story). When I enter TWRP recovery and choose Wipe, it says "Factory Reset Complete - Successful" on the top, but when it gives information about what is happening on the bottom in red letters it says "Unable to mount storage". I did take out my external SD card before this because it has my ROM and Gapps zips on it.
When I go into "Advanced Wipe" and select all the partitions except Micro SD card, it says "Wipe Complete - Failed", and in red letters "failed to unmount /system (device or resource busy) , unable to wipe /system, unable to mount storage".
Before all of this I uninstalled Google Play Services and my Google App because of the "google play services stopped" error, then tried to restore using Titanium backup but it was saying "ten elements failed." That's my reason for trying to wipe everything and start fresh.
So having said all that, I can easily flash my ROM and Gapps again, but I'm concerned about these errors. I'm new at this and am very interested in finding out if I did something wrong.

How did you install twrp? Try using fastboot method and make sure to use twrp 3.0
20th April 2016, 01:15 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Change with v 3.0.2-1....that problem fixed....

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using XDA Free mobile app
20th April 2016, 02:31 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Calgary

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv09012013

How did you install twrp? Try using fastboot method and make sure to use twrp 3.0

I installed TWRP by fastboot.

But now I've just been told to use two different versions of TWRP. First 3.0 and second 3.0.2-1
My current version is 3.0.2 which according to TWRP's website is the most recently supported version for my surnia (Moto E 2015)

I know 3.0.0 is supported because it's older but I don't see any downloads for 3.0.2-1

Should I revert back to the old 3.0 or risk using a version that says it's not supported yet?

Thanks for advice.
21st April 2016, 03:08 AM |#5  
Flag Sooke, BC
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Hey man, this should be a good link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=61406133 to Squids TWRP latest are there. I'm running the latest 3.02 and found when I upgraded my modem as well (to 6.0) I've had great success with TWRP.

Sent from my XT1527 using XDA-Developers mobile app
I had that same problem, usually after a dirty flash or making kernel tweaks, but a clean flash of the recovery.img (plus modem for me) usually does it. Then I do wipe just to be sure! 😉
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillyMumphry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BillyMumphry Ad-Free
21st April 2016, 04:27 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMacD

I installed TWRP by fastboot.

But now I've just been told to use two different versions of TWRP. First 3.0 and second 3.0.2-1
My current version is 3.0.2 which according to TWRP's website is the most recently supported version for my surnia (Moto E 2015)

I know 3.0.0 is supported because it's older but I don't see any downloads for 3.0.2-1

Should I revert back to the old 3.0 or risk using a version that says it's not supported yet?

Thanks for advice.

I used 3.0 and I had no problems with it. The only trouble I had was updating stock ROM when boost released an update last week but I went in and edited the script and fixed that issue. But I just updated to 3.0.2-r1 and can confirm it does indeed work. Here is the direct download link http://forum.xda-developers.com/devd...17768&task=get
The Following User Says Thank You to alv09012013 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alv09012013 Ad-Free
21st April 2016, 06:44 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Calgary

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzen42

Change with v 3.0.2-1....that problem fixed....

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using XDA Free mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv09012013

I used 3.0 and I had no problems with it. The only trouble I had was updating stock ROM when boost released an update last week but I went in and edited the script and fixed that issue. But I just updated to 3.0.2-r1 and can confirm it does indeed work. Here is the direct download link http://forum.xda-developers.com/devd...17768&task=get

Thanks a lot you guys. After updating to 3.0.2-r1 all my partitions finally got wiped, and all the errors went away. I'll try that kernel from Squid too after my poor head stops spinning after two days of battling through this haha but it's fun to learn. I really appreciate everyone's help.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMacD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaveMacD Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)