[TWRP][otus] Recovery for Moto E 3G (2015)

Search This thread

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
I've built a TWRP recovery for the 2015 Moto E 3G. This model is also known as Styx 3G, and has the codename otus.

3G model only! If you have the LTE model, use my LTE recovery instead.

Downloads are available on the downloads tab. In case you encounter any issues, I've also posted the stock recovery for otus on the downloads tab.

To try it out without flashing, run:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Try at your own risk. I expect everything to work, but I make no guarantees.

I would like to thank cybojenix for creating the first-gen Moto E recovery. I used his device tree as a reference when creating mine.

Device Tree: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_otus/tree/twrp
Kernel: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_kernel_motorola_otus/tree/twrp

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto E 3G (2015), Tool/Utility for the Moto E 2015

Contributors
squid2, cybojenix
Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_otus

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2015-04-17
Last Updated 2018-08-16

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-02-23-06-55.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-02-23-06-55.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 78,537
  • Screenshot_2016-04-02-23-07-13.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-02-23-07-13.png
    132 KB · Views: 77,544

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
My initial test release is up. Try it at your own risk, I don't know what works and what doesn't. All I know is that it can boot and see the on board storage. Thanks to @Ravx and @Hakkinukai for initial testing. If you want to stay safe, don't flash anything with it until I'm able to confirm that it works properly. I'm still waiting on my test unit to arrive.

For the adventurous, try it out and let me know what works and what doesn't. Be careful though, it's untested and could mess up your device. I'm not responsible for any problems it may cause you.

Ravx

Jul 10, 2012
Gwalior
plus.google.com
My initial test release is up. Try it at your own risk, I don't know what works and what doesn't. All I know is that it can boot and see the on board storage. Thanks to @Ravx and @Hakkinukai for initial testing. If you want to stay safe, don't flash anything with it until I'm able to confirm that it works properly. I'm still waiting on my test unit to arrive.

For the adventurous, try it out and let me know what works and what doesn't. Be careful though, it's untested and could mess up your device. I'm not responsible for any problems it may cause you.

Further test results:
1.) Was able to succesfully backup my system with the recovery.
2.) wiping data gave error ( error code 255 i think ) but the data was still gone and the device got factory reset.
3.) Succesfully restored the data from the created backup.

will try to flash SuperSu now.:good::good:
Edit: The device is Successfuly rooted.

Last edited:

Ravx

Jul 10, 2012
Gwalior
plus.google.com
Here is the Screenshot of Successful Root.:good::good::good::good:

Bro i have created a saperate Guide for rooting. I hope you dont mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-17-12-43-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-17-12-43-02.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,078
Last edited:

Samkk

Apr 11, 2015
Thank you very much squid :)
i try this command 'fastboot boot twrp-otus-2.8.6-test3.img'
and in first attempt , i got TEAMWIN screen on successful boot MOTO E 2nd Generation.
and from install option ,i install SuperSU from my internal memory.
and my device rooted successfully.
you are :angel:
:victory: :cowboy:

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
I've posted a new version (2.8.6-test4). This new version solves a problem that prevented my recovery from booting from flash storage. It's also smaller. Thanks to @Hakkinukai for testing.

You can safely flash this recovery to your device by doing
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-otus-2.8.6-test4.img

I make no promises about reliability, but I'd expect most things to work. Use this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for bricking your device. I haven't tested this myself.

To avoid confusion, I've removed the old version (2.8.6-test3) from the downloads tab.

magdeoz

Mar 13, 2014
Queretaro
cloudroid.ddns.net
Thank you very much, I could finally rooting my moto E,

#Off topic could please make a version updated for the moto E first generation, the current version is 2.7.1.0 and the latest versions have many bugs,

Ravx

Jul 10, 2012
Gwalior
plus.google.com
I've posted a new version (2.8.6-test4). This new version solves a problem that prevented my recovery from booting from flash storage. It's also smaller. Thanks to @Hakkinukai for testing.

You can safely flash this recovery to your device by doing
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-otus-2.8.6-test4.img

I make no promises about reliability, but I'd expect most things to work. Use this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for bricking your device. I haven't tested this myself.

To avoid confusion, I've removed the old version (2.8.6-test3) from the downloads tab.

Thanks bro. I will flash and report back :good::good:

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
The new recovery is working just fine for me, but i cant boot into recovery mode manually, i have to use a third party app either quick boot or apm+.
other than that everything works good.

By booting manually, I presume you mean selecting it from the bootloader menu with the volume keys. What happens when you try that? I've had others report that it works.

raghavarora1997

Jan 13, 2015
By booting manually, I presume you mean selecting it from the bootloader menu with the volume keys. What happens when you try that? I've had others report that it works.

After selecting recovery from the bootloader black screen comes and nothing happens. I've tried it many times with no success.

Sent from my MotoE2 using XDA Free mobile app

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
After selecting recovery from the bootloader black screen comes and nothing happens. I've tried it many times with no success.

Hmm, so it goes black right away and doesn't show the boot logo or unlocked boot loader warning. Strange.

Are you sure that you flashed it correctly? Is anyone else having this issue?

raghavarora1997

Jan 13, 2015
Hmm, so it goes black right away and doesn't show the boot logo or unlocked boot loader warning. Strange.

Are you sure that you flashed it correctly? Is anyone else having this issue?

Yeah I'm sure I've flashed it correctly.
And yes it goes back right away. Still I will flash or again, just to be sure and then report back.

UPDATE: After flashing again I can boot into recovery manually.

Last edited:

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
The utterly incompetent Canada Post decided to lose my Moto E 3G. Their customer service was very unhelpful and just told me to contact the sender, and ask them to start a trace with the USPS. Traces take 3 weeks and often get nowhere. This is the fifth package to me that Canada Post has lost in the past two years. On average, I've found that 1 in 5 packages sent to me via Canada Post get lost. That is quite ridiculous, but they are a taxpayer funded government monopoly with no sense of customer service.

In addition to contacting the sender, as a last resort, I've taped a notice inside my mailbox to ask the mailman/woman if they know what they did to my parcel. God knows if I'll ever get it.

Anyway, enough of a rant for now. I'm furious that they lost a package that I spent $200 on (with taxes, shipping, markup etc.)

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
Good news! My Moto E was delivered to the wrong address by Canada Post, but the people who received it brought it to me yesterday. I've started looking into porting CM12.1 to otus, though it will probably be a week or so before I have something to show.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've built a TWRP recovery for the 2015 Moto E 3G. This model is also known as Styx 3G, and has the codename otus.

3G model only! If you have the LTE model, use my LTE recovery instead.

Downloads are available on the downloads tab. In case you encounter any issues, I've also posted the stock recovery for otus on the downloads tab.

To try it out without flashing, run:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Try at your own risk. I expect everything to work, but I make no guarantees.

I would like to thank cybojenix for creating the first-gen Moto E recovery. I used his device tree as a reference when creating mine.

Device Tree: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_otus/tree/twrp
    Kernel: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_kernel_motorola_otus/tree/twrp

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Moto E 3G (2015), Tool/Utility for the Moto E 2015

Contributors
    squid2, cybojenix
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_otus

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2015-04-17
    Last Updated 2018-08-16
    Squid TWRP 3.2.1-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork. It brings bug fixes related to the ADB backup feature, and also executes recovery scripts (such as wipe and update commands) without first waiting for the user to enter a decryption password. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.0-r1

I've posted a new build of my TWRP with the latest changes from upstream. It brings better support for Oreo zips while still supporting older ones. It also has improvements to the reliability of backups.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.3-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork that has been rebased off the latest upstream version. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.0.2-r5

I've posted a new TWRP build with improved Nougat compatibility and many small updates from upstream. The download is up on the downloads tab as usual.