[RELEASE] F2FS bug fix kernel (Qualcomm)

Search This thread

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
I patched the kernel for 7.1.1 on Qualcomm Moto E4 Plus. This is useful to get Magisk fully working with modules and settings that can be saved.
I compiled the fix from the released kernel source: MMI-NPR26.58-25

Here are the unsigned boot.img and zImage, use whichever one suits your fancy to patch the kernel.
Download boot.img
Download zImage

Edit: I've uploaded a build for the regular Qualcomm Moto E4 here.

Installation:
You should backup your Boot in TWRP before installing, that way you can restore if something goes wrong.

If you have Magisk installed, you'll want to patch the boot.img using Magisk Manager. Just tap install, and patch boot rom image. Then copy the patched file back to your computer to flash it.
Easiest way is to flash the boot.img while in fastboot:
Code:
>fastboot flash boot /path/to/downloaded/boot.img

Last edited:

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011

TheJAYpoop

Jan 25, 2013
Reactions: SeanStar
G

GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$

Nice, I was planning on doing this after Christmas. Saved me the trouble. Merry Christmas to you too! It worked fine just flashing the patched img with TWRP. Want to save me the trouble of doing one for the regular E⁴ also?

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
Nice, I was planning on doing this after Christmas. Saved me the trouble. Merry Christmas to you too! It worked fine just flashing the patched img with TWRP. Want to save me the trouble of doing one for the regular E⁴ also?
If you point me to the kernel source you specifically want patched, I can make it. You'll have to test it for me though, as I don't own the regular E^4.

G

GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$

If you point me to the kernel source you specifically want patched, I can make it. You'll have to test it for me though, as I don't own the regular E^4.

That would be great. I'll pm you a link since I can't post links yet. I've been spending all my spare time trying to get data working properly on both devices. I have no problem testing it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using XDA Labs

G

GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$

Qualcomm Moto E4 f2fs fix for perry 7.1.1 (Built and patched from NCQ26.69-48 source) kernel boot image for anyone that wants it is linked below. Thanks to GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$ for testing. See the OP for installation instructions, and please remember to make backups of your stock Boot.

Download:
unsigned boot.img
zImage
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this! Especially today. Just to point out how I installed the kernel, I simply flashed it as an img with TWRP, flashed the no dmverity/forceencrypt zip, then flashed Magisk V15.0 that was just released. It stayed on the n/a screen a minute then bootlooped a couple times, but it eventually booted just fine, so be patient with it. I had the latest Boost firmware installed and Magisk v14.6 at the time. Enjoy!

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
@SeanStar would you mind uploading the source to your kernel, like maybe on a GitHub repo or something? I'm working with a friend who has the owens and I'm trying to see if we can get a more functioning Lineage 14.1 on here

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
@SeanStar would you mind uploading the source to your kernel, like maybe on a GitHub repo or something? I'm working with a friend who has the owens and I'm trying to see if we can get a more functioning Lineage 14.1 on here
Though the kernel I am currently working on is slightly modified more than what is provided here, the OP only has the fix for the f2fs loopback issue, as described here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70492947&postcount=8793
You can download the stock kernel build source from Motorola's own repository here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-NPR26.58-25

Also, I admit that I'm currently in the process of porting Lineage 14.1 to this phone, but it may take more time than I had originally planned for. It's not a priority for me at the moment, especially considering how much I like the stock rom.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Though the kernel I am currently working on is slightly modified more than what is provided here, the OP only has the fix for the f2fs loopback issue, as described here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70492947&postcount=8793
You can download the stock kernel build source from Motorola's own repository here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-NPR26.58-25

Also, I admit that I'm currently in the process of porting Lineage 14.1 to this phone, but it may take more time than I had originally planned for. It's not a priority for me at the moment, especially considering how much I like the stock rom.
Well dang, I'm working on porting lineage 14.1 to this thing too. Maybe we should join forces.

And moto's source is in a zip file, I was hoping I could get one that was unzipped and in a github repo already, for easy syncing when trying to build Lineage 14.1

xhan145

Sep 26, 2014
Boston
Thank you for your work. I agree that stock isn't too bad with root magisk and Xposed working fine. But lineage is pretty tasty! I will shoot you both a PM if I can assist in any way

G

GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$

@SeanStar check out these screenies everyone:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180108-175439.png
    Screenshot_20180108-175439.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Screenshot_20180108-175451.png
    Screenshot_20180108-175451.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 291
G

GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$

I'm not sure if they're still doing updates for this phone from what I've heard, but if they do this would be very nice.
That sucks to hear, but although I do actually like stock on this device, that's why I build custom ROMs. Budget Motorola's never get updated more then a few times. Hopefully it will get added for future devices and ones that don't get abandoned at least.

PimpMy5Ton

Account currently disabled
Jul 23, 2015
GB
meettomy.site
Qualcomm Moto E4 f2fs fix for perry 7.1.1 (Built and patched from NCQ26.69-48 source) kernel boot image for anyone that wants it is linked below. Thanks to GetOffMyLawn&!+¢#{$ for testing. See the OP for installation instructions, and please remember to make backups of your stock Boot.

Download:
unsigned boot.img
zImage

Hey @SeanStar would it be possible for you to do this on the latest update for the kernel on the E4 Perry please?? The reason being is this one can't be used on the latest update of the firmware, it fails to boot all the way up.

EDIT: The latest is NCQ26.69-56

Last edited:

SeanStar

Jun 16, 2011
Hey @SeanStar would it be possible for you to do this on the latest update for the kernel on the E4 Perry please?? The reason being is this one can't be used on the latest update of the firmware, it fails to boot all the way up.

EDIT: The latest is NCQ26.69-56

Considering there is no kernel source for NCQ26.69-56 on MotorolaMobilityLLC github, you're SOL, there's no easy way to patch it without the source. Sorry bud.

EDIT: I wouldn't try to downgrade either, I'm sure they updated the baseband. You'll probably knockout your service if you even try.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I patched the kernel for 7.1.1 on Qualcomm Moto E4 Plus. This is useful to get Magisk fully working with modules and settings that can be saved.
    I compiled the fix from the released kernel source: MMI-NPR26.58-25

Here are the unsigned boot.img and zImage, use whichever one suits your fancy to patch the kernel.
    Download boot.img
    Download zImage

Edit: I've uploaded a build for the regular Qualcomm Moto E4 here.

Installation:
    You should backup your Boot in TWRP before installing, that way you can restore if something goes wrong.

If you have Magisk installed, you'll want to patch the boot.img using Magisk Manager. Just tap install, and patch boot rom image. Then copy the patched file back to your computer to flash it.
    Easiest way is to flash the boot.img while in fastboot:
    Code:
    >fastboot flash boot /path/to/downloaded/boot.img
    Did not work, phone would not boot after flash, had to restore stock kernel.

Hmm, having tried it myself, I see that without patching the image with magisk from inside magisk manager, it seems the rebuilt boot image does not work. But it does work after it's been patched in magisk, so you can try that.

Here's a link that's already been patched with Magisk 14.6 beta: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13vaUgq22fNnVnWqq5ai9kGC1KsO3ZEmJ

Download:
    unsigned boot.img
    zImage

Here they are. This has been happening a lot faster than it used to.