[Help Thread][Moto E 5 / E5 Plus/Play/Cruise] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly(2018)

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[Help Thread]
This thread has been created for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to
Moto E 5

Moto E5 Plus

Moto E5 Play/Cruise

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".
attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
... ... ... ...​

To those seeking help:
Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you! Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I'm not planning on adding every Rom or Mod,
but if you have a suggestion for other links
Please post them here.

Please try post
Model #, software channel, and codename with your question
eg: XT1921-1, Retail, RJames
See my Moto Flashing Guide

FAQs

Custom Roms/Recovery/Root/

Firmware

Specs

Moto E5 4G/LTE
•XT1944-1 Moto E5 Sng SIM Retail (Nora)
•XT1944-2 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
•XT1944-3 Moto E5 Sng SIM Retail (Nora)
•XT1944-4 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
•XT1944-5 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
•XT1944-6 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)

Moto E5 Play/Cruise
•XT1920 Moto E5 Play Android Go (PettyL)
•XT1921-1 Moto E5 Play Sng SIM Retail (RJames)
•XT1921-2 Moto E5 Cruise Cricket (James)
•XT1921-3 Moto E5 Play T-Mobile (James)
•XT1921-5 Moto E5 Play Sprint (James)
•XT1921-6 Moto E5 Play Verizon (RJames)

Moto E5 Plus

https://www.xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/

Root
https://xdaforums.com/moto-e5/how-to/guide-root-twrp-moto-e5-play-explained-t3856182

Last edited:

Jesseintx

Dec 15, 2016
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created for Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
Moto E 5

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.
It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

attachment.php
List of supporters
... ... ... ...​
To those seeking help:
Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you! Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
dear sirs i am trying to recover data off a frends moto e5 with a broken screen.he never enabled dev options and never enabled usb debug.searced threads and only found motox recovery and programs spacific to that device

Reactions: randy34

Icyice

Sep 24, 2013
I tried unlocking the bootloader for my Moto E5 Play from Sprint. Got my unlock code and all, followed the instructions but now I have a "bad key" error.

What can I do next?

evolvetek

Sep 25, 2006
Hello everyone.

Is there a known way to change the Device Name at the system level, without root, of the Motorola e5 Play? Within the System > About > Phone Name location, this is not modifiable.

Thank you.

/e

budja8

Jul 11, 2017
Hi everyone

Where can i find moto e5 xt1944-4 firmware?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jamar1983

Jul 26, 2018
OnePlus 6T
I have the Moto E5 Supra from cricket wireless and am not eligible to unlock the bootloader and need to get the device rooted has anyone got any suggestions on how to do this, thanks in advance.

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
I concur with @sd_shadow on the rooting predicament. Without an unlocked bootloader, root is quite probably impossible. First, the stock kernel of the E5 is secured with dm-verity, which will prevent booting of the OS if any alteration or modification whatsoever is detected on the device's /system partition. With a locked bootloader, disabling dm-verity or otherwise modifying the /boot partition is prevented. Second, because the /boot partition cannot be modified, any type of systemless root is out of the question (e.g. Magisk, SuperSU v2.82, phh-superuser).

Reactions: sd_shadow

LogicWeasel

Oct 13, 2017
W. Wisconsin
What do we know about the SIM/Carrier Locks

I am very close to buying a Moto E5 Play for my aunt. The last question I hope to clarify here before I pick where to buy it from is as follows:

Are the Moto E5 Play phones sold (Branded) by companies like Verizon, Boost Mobile, and Virgin Mobile SIM locked? Does anyone know how hard it would be to buy a Verizon-branded E5 Play and activate it on a Verizon MNVO carrier (like Red Pocket-V or US Mobile)?

I noticed in an earlier post someone confirmed the T-Mobile variant can be bootloader unlocked but I'm not sure there were details about a SIM/Carrier lock.

I'm noticing a lack of an E5 phone for sale anywhere as just plain "unlocked" or buying direct from Motorola for this phone in US Retail markets.

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
I am very close to buying a Moto E5 Play for my aunt. The last question I hope to clarify here before I pick where to buy it from is as follows:

Are the Moto E5 Play phones sold (Branded) by companies like Verizon, Boost Mobile, and Virgin Mobile SIM locked? Does anyone know how hard it would be to buy a Verizon-branded E5 Play and activate it on a Verizon MNVO carrier (like Red Pocket-V or US Mobile)?

I noticed in an earlier post someone confirmed the T-Mobile variant can be bootloader unlocked but I'm not sure there were details about a SIM/Carrier lock.

I'm noticing a lack of an E5 phone for sale anywhere as just plain "unlocked" or buying direct from Motorola for this phone in US Retail markets.
I'm familiar with four different variants of the Moto E5 Play. The xt1921-2 is the Cricket model, branded under the name Moto E5 Cruise; the xt1921-5 is the Sprint, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile model; the xt1921-6 is the Verizon model; and there is a xt1921-1 variant which is the factory unlocked, single SIM retail model. The retail model is of course factory unlocked to operate on any GSM provider. However, this is the only model that I can confirm is not network restricted in any way.

LogicWeasel

Oct 13, 2017
W. Wisconsin
I'm familiar with four different variants of the Moto E5 Play. The xt1921-2 is the Cricket model, branded under the name Moto E5 Cruise; the xt1921-5 is the Sprint, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile model; the xt1921-6 is the Verizon model; and there is a xt1921-1 variant which is the factory unlocked, single SIM retail model. The retail model is of course factory unlocked to operate on any GSM provider. However, this is the only model that I can confirm is not network restricted in any way.

I appreciate the summary but do you know where/when the xt1921-1 variant will be for sale? I've checked Amazon, Walmart, Target, and carrier's own sites (like Verizon, Cricket, etc) but even Target and Walmart just have the Verizon or Boost variants (sometimes the Virgin Mobile one).

If that's all I have to pick from I suppose I'll get the Verizon version and hope for an unlock code on eBay. Ideally what I'd like to combine is a deal on the phone (currently Boost Mobile is discounting it via their website all the way below $60) with being able to activate it on a Verizon-MVNO that'll be a lot less than the price Verizon prepaid runs (Red Pocket $15 1GB LTE plan may be a good fit for my aunt).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Help Thread]
    This thread has been created for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to
    Moto E 5

Moto E5 Plus

Moto E5 Play/Cruise

attachment.php

attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ... ... ... ...​

To those seeking help:
    Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you! Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​

I'm not planning on adding every Rom or Mod,
    but if you have a suggestion for other links
    Please post them here.

Please try post
    Model #, software channel, and codename with your question
    eg: XT1921-1, Retail, RJames
    See my Moto Flashing Guide

FAQs

Custom Roms/Recovery/Root/

Firmware

Specs

Moto E5 4G/LTE
    •XT1944-1 Moto E5 Sng SIM Retail (Nora)
    •XT1944-2 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
    •XT1944-3 Moto E5 Sng SIM Retail (Nora)
    •XT1944-4 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
    •XT1944-5 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)
    •XT1944-6 Moto E5 Dual SIM Retail (Nora)

Moto E5 Play/Cruise
    •XT1920 Moto E5 Play Android Go (PettyL)
    •XT1921-1 Moto E5 Play Sng SIM Retail (RJames)
    •XT1921-2 Moto E5 Cruise Cricket (James)
    •XT1921-3 Moto E5 Play T-Mobile (James)
    •XT1921-5 Moto E5 Play Sprint (James)
    •XT1921-6 Moto E5 Play Verizon (RJames)

Moto E5 Plus

https://www.xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/

Root
    https://xdaforums.com/moto-e5/how-to/guide-root-twrp-moto-e5-play-explained-t3856182
    Thanks for your help!
    OK, so I followed all the instructions, (using the XT1944-4 firmware & Magisk 17.1) and everything appeared to go well except for one error message when running fastboot flash boot patched-boot.img :

Now when I try to reboot the device I see N/A on the screen for a few seconds, and then the intro 'moto' animation runs, and just keeps looping over and over.
    Do you have any suggestions for what I can try next?
    Ok. The error message you received flashing the patched boot.img, as well as the "N/A" or "Bad Key" notifications during boot, are all completely normal. (There are custom boot logos made especially to hide the boot notifications). As for your perpetual boot loop, I'll try and help you fix this. First, on your xt1944-6, who is your mobile provider? Also, please specify the build of firmware you are running Lastly, do you have TWRP installed on your device?
    Very helpful information as far as how your Boost is restricted. If I get what you're saying than the Android image just prevents you from using GSM settings, or is it not registering the sim card? I ran into some of that nonsense with Oreo 8.1 with my Pixel when trying to change APN settings with a Verizon MNVO sim card (it doesn't let you, hooray for Google-supported lockdowns).

I suppose with these branded phones showing such restrictions the only safe bet for phones that Verizon would allow me to activate to their network (or an MVNO of theirs) would be the Verizon Moto E5 play or the stock-unlocked one then? Is it safe to assume one cannot do the opposite of what you tried, and try to use an eBay unlock code (assuming that's even applicable for the cricket one) on a Boost, Virgin Mobile or Cricket-branded phone, and hope that the activation for Verizon would work? I imagine Verizon would not let the IMEI pass the smell test as they'd know it was a model from a competitor? Perhaps with the Cricket/Boost version they might even try to lock-down the CDMA (or Verizon LTE Band 13) radios (even though by pure spec-sheet this phone COULD work on any of the Big 4 and I thinking that's how the xt1921-1 works).
    Yeah the 1921-1 should operate on any one of the Big 4 (or rather the Big 3 now that Sprint & T-Mobile have entered into a preemptory merger).
    Sprint traditionally locked its Moto devices (e.g. Moto E LTE, Moto G3) by embedding encryption to read-only partitions such as /pds, /hob, /dhob. With the Moto E4 and Moto E5 Play, Sprint (and its subsidiaries) are taking the less restricted firmware route to restrict GSM support, which is surmountable by the installation of custom ROMs and some root modding. As far as LTE bands go, Qualcomm's QFIL and QPST can be used to enable bands otherwise restricted by a provider. There are some excellent guides here on XDA on how-to and resources.
    I agree that you should have no problems whatsoever getting a Verizon branded Moto E5 Play and using it on a Verizon subsidiary or mvno. While I cannot confirm, I have heard members report that unlock codes from eBay are effective in carrier unlocking the Verizon Moto E5 Play. (However, please keep in mind that the Verizon variant cannot be bootloader unlocked. Thus, root cannot be achieved). However, this is nothing new for Verizon branded devices. They lock the majority of their devices down. One of my most frequent sayings is -- if you want root, don't buy a Verizon branded device.