FORUMS

Bootloader Unlock?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 3
 
By DarkB055, Junior Member on 27th April 2020, 08:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Are we expecting the global version to have the ability to be bootloader unlocked? Looking at the recent Motorola devices, they seem that most can be unlocked and kernel sources are published.
16th May 2020, 11:53 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Valdosta GA
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
My Motorola edge plus from Verizon actually has the toggle for bootloader unlocking. I am kind of shocked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200516-185055.png
Views:	242
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	5020385  
17th May 2020, 10:45 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidnew

My Motorola edge plus from Verizon actually has the toggle for bootloader unlocking. I am kind of shocked!

It's not unusual for Moto phones on Verizon to show but it doesn't mean it actually works.
18th May 2020, 05:19 AM |#4  
foamerman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag B-town
Thanks Meter: 69
 
More
Hey this is just a question. Has anybody tried Google there is a ton of information about unlocking the bootloader.. I'm reading some of the info now. I'm debating on getting this phone or the OnePlus 8 pro. I'm kinda stuck with Verizon right now that's why the 8 pro from OnePlus looked real good. But reading about edge + and getting the unlock code from motorola it looks good too.
19th May 2020, 02:13 PM |#5  
rodken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidnew

My Motorola edge plus from Verizon actually has the toggle for bootloader unlocking. I am kind of shocked!

Were you able to confirm that the toggle functions?
19th May 2020, 08:02 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Valdosta GA
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodken

Were you able to confirm that the toggle functions?

The toggle does function. But I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader. But if I toggle it on it does give me a warning about unlocking. I actually returned the phone as I was not satisfied with the camera. I have 2 grand kids and I found enough situations where the camera took pictures that were a little blurry that I didn't feel like I needed to keep the phone. I hated to do it, I really liked the phone, but the camera was a deal breaker.
19th May 2020, 08:56 PM |#7  
rodken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidnew

The toggle does function. But I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader. But if I toggle it on it does give me a warning about unlocking. I actually returned the phone as I was not satisfied with the camera. I have 2 grand kids and I found enough situations where the camera took pictures that were a little blurry that I didn't feel like I needed to keep the phone. I hated to do it, I really liked the phone, but the camera was a deal breaker.

I think that you just gave me hope in that if I decide to purchase one shortly, that the toggle will still be available to unlock the bootloader.

Question: Assuming that the toggle will still unlock the bootloader, I would not have a need for any fastboot mode command lines?
19th May 2020, 09:07 PM |#8  
Member
Central Jersey
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Hey Guy I just picked this device up straight from Verizon , it came today and I already checked off OEM UNLOCK. I wanted to even see if it depended on sim so...I am coming from an LG V60 and when I got the new phone I just simply activated with the sim it came with went straight to developer options to see if it was greyed out. It wasn't I checked it off and I went to the Motorola page and checked to see if my device could be unlocked which it could and I got my unique key and submitted it. It said I should be getting the email with the unlock key for Fastboot. However it doesn't look like there is factory images but I am willing to test stuff while I have a backup phone and also since I am in my return period.
19th May 2020, 09:23 PM |#9  
rodken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daillcyruz

Hey Guy I just picked this device up straight from Verizon , it came today and I already checked off OEM UNLOCK. I wanted to even see if it depended on sim so...I am coming from an LG V60 and when I got the new phone I just simply activated with the sim it came with went straight to developer options to see if it was greyed out. It wasn't I checked it off and I went to the Motorola page and checked to see if my device could be unlocked which it could and I got my unique key and submitted it. It said I should be getting the email with the unlock key for Fastboot. However it doesn't look like there is factory images but I am willing to test stuff while I have a backup phone and also since I am in my return period.

Please keep me posted on whether the email with the fastboot commands holds true and are you looking for factory images for testing purposes or couldn't you just run with the device as-is until the images materialize?
19th May 2020, 09:25 PM |#10  
Member
Central Jersey
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodken

Please keep me posted on whether the email with the fastboot commands holds true and are you looking for factory images for testing purposes or couldn't you just run with the device as-is until the images materialize?

I will keep posted, yes I wouldn't try anything until factory images are available. I wanted to see if it was really going to let me go through with requesting the lock... I thought the email would be fast but its been 30 min no email yet.
19th May 2020, 09:31 PM |#11  
rodken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daillcyruz

I will keep posted, yes I wouldn't try anything until factory images are available. I wanted to see if it was really going to let me go through with requesting the lock... I thought the email would be fast but its been 30 min no email yet.

Unlocking the bootloader should not interfere with the overall operability of the device, e.g., text, calls, data, etc. Is there a reason as to why you are waiting for factory images before unlocking?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes