FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android Pie Lag Fix

605 posts
Thanks Meter: 596

By DanGLES3, Senior Member on 6th December 2018, 02:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As some of you may notice,the titan performs strangely poorly on pie,this is due to pie's new skiagl renderer which doesn't play well with our device,the zip below will return pie to the old renderer used on Oreo and below (OpenGL HWUI) and reduce the lag significantly,you will quickly notice a difference if you use either the XDA app or Lawnchair launcher,you will see their huge stutters are no more all thx to OpenGL HWUI,also don't expect this to ever be merged officially into a ROM as OpenGL does have some small issues like screenshots not appearing in the notifications properly,other than that it's a great way to boost the performance of our beloved titan,this patch was already merged on the Moto g4 play and LG G2 both with very positive feedback but won't be merged into the titan's device tree as by request of it's developers (so please don't bother any of the devs about this patch as it was already refused into the main device tree)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fix Lag Pie.zip - [Click for QR Code] (190.7 KB, 1010 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DanGLES3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DanGLES3 Ad-Free

16th December 2018, 06:19 PM |#2  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Did anyone try this?
16th December 2018, 06:27 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amir.nawed

Did anyone try this?

Feel free to try,the worst that can happen is the fix not working
The Following User Says Thank You to DanGLES3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DanGLES3 Ad-Free
16th December 2018, 06:34 PM |#4  
Flag New Delhi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGLES3

Feel free to try,the worst that can happen is the fix not working

Will try and update in comment.
Btw, the latest build of LOS 16 use OpenGL or Skiagl??
16th December 2018, 07:21 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Will try and update in comment.
Btw, the latest build of LOS 16 use OpenGL or Skiagl??

Skia,as I said,Renan didn't implement the fix for some reason (he didn't make it very clear why)
The Following User Says Thank You to DanGLES3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DanGLES3 Ad-Free
17th December 2018, 03:29 AM |#6  
Flag New Delhi

More
Sadly it made no difference on my device running LOS 16 December build. The ui is still laggy. I wonder how the AOSPExtended Pie rom is so smooth!
17th December 2018, 03:47 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Sadly it made no difference on my device running LOS 16 December build. The ui is still laggy. I wonder how the AOSPExtended Pie rom is so smooth!

The UI will still lag a lot (thanks to HWC2),my fix effect is small on most apps,but apps like lawnchair or the XDA labs apps see huge improvements,also tbh aex and Los 16.0 run almost exactly the same for me
22nd December 2018, 05:41 AM |#8  
Flag Saudi Arabia
Thanks Meter: 1,918

Donate to Me
More
The reason we cant use it while building: This prop causes some bugs like screenshot preview doesnt show up on notification panel, and few more, tho, they are minor, but yet people will complain, so its better to keep this hack optional
22nd December 2018, 12:27 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadfish59

The reason we cant use it while building: This prop causes some bugs like screenshot preview doesnt show up on notification panel, and few more, tho, they are minor, but yet people will complain, so its better to keep this hack optional

Indeed, totally agree,thx for the explanation

Sent from my Moto G 2015 using XDA Labs
27th December 2018, 12:27 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 197

More
@DanGLES3
Does this tweak work in the same way as adding command "hwui.renderer = opengl" to build.prop?
Or is there a difference?
27th December 2018, 12:28 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugatoembridge

@DanGLES3
Does this tweak work in the same way as adding command "hwui.renderer = opengl" to build.prop?
Or is there a difference?

Pretty sure this build.prop command doesn't exist on android,I only saw debug.hwui.renderer when looking through pie sources

Sent from my Moto G 2015 using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)