FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][17-02-18][Guhl] Thea - Sailfish OS 2.1.0.11 [Beta 7]

448 posts
Thanks Meter: 517

By guhl99, Senior Member on 20th January 2017, 11:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

This is a port of Sailfish OS to the Motorola G 2014 LTE (aka thea).
Thea running 2.0.5.6

Download:
Sailfish OS Version 2.0.5.6 (work in progress)
ROM cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip
Beta 7: sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.0.11-guhl_170604.zip (current)
Beta 6: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170218_obs.zip (old)
Beta 5: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170214_obs.zip (old)
Beta 4: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170209_obs.zip (old)
Beta 3: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170205_obs.zip (old)
Beta 2: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170122.zip (old)
Beta 1: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170117.zip (old)

Installation:
Remark: The installation of the correct CM (12.1 for SF 2.x) image is only necessary once. So if you already did this the first time you can skip steps 2 and 4.2
1. Boot into your custom Android Recovery and make sure that the sdcard is mounted
2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip /sdcard1/
3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.0.11-guhl_170604.zip /sdcard1/
4. In the Recovery on the device:
4.1. Clear data and cache (factory reset)
4.2. Install the CM release by picking the CM image (this is needed so that the correct version of the binary libraries and firmware files are in place)
4.3. Install Sailfish OS by picking the SFOS image (this will take quite some time)
5. Reboot the device

After the initial boot (that will take some time) the language selection and initial setup will show.
After that it will take a while and then the Jolla tutorial should come up. You can skip the tutorial if you want by clicking the corners of the screen in the following sequence: Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right, Bottom-Left.

Remarks
  • Recorded-Video playback: Works but uses a nasty hack that might have stability and security effects.

Known not to work
- Nothing

Change-log:
Current Version
Version 20170604
  • updated to version 2.1.0.11 (fixes also USB "Alwas ask" mode)
Version 20170218
  • fixed sdcard mounting
Version 20170214
  • Proper fix to sensorfw accepted upstream -> removed sensor hack
  • Fixed camera startup and video recording. Works on first start now and does not crash on restart
  • Hack to make playback of recorded video work.
Version 20170209
  • Fixed acceleration and rotation sensor
  • improved video recording - still not working properly
Version 20170205
  • Fixed and added FM-Radio
  • added Mozilla Location Service as location provider
  • built on mer OBS - preparation for OTA updates in the future
Version 20170122
  • Added Bluetooth
Version 20170117
  • Initial release of Beta 1

Credits:
mal, sledges, MisterMagister - et al. from the #sailfish-porters IRC channel on freenode
These guys are doing amazing work and their competence and readiness to help is really inspiring.
Without their support this would not have been possible!

Have fun - Guhl
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to guhl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guhl99 Ad-Free

21st January 2017, 05:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice works, congrats
I will test soon
Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lukasm7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lukasm7 Ad-Free
22nd January 2017, 10:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Beta 2
Hi,

I uploaded Beta 2.
Bluetooth is working,
Video recording is not - do not try!

Have fun - Guhl
The Following User Says Thank You to guhl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guhl99 Ad-Free
28th January 2017, 04:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Nice ! That's awesome there is still support for this device !
Just curious, did you use anything from my GitHub or is everything outdated ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mavireck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mavireck Ad-Free
29th January 2017, 09:30 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavireck

Nice ! That's awesome there is still support for this device !
Just curious, did you use anything from my GitHub or is everything outdated ?

Hi Mavireck,

I did see your work on this of course and I also looked at MisterMagister and your github sources.
But in principle I did this port from scratch as most of the things are outdated as you already assumed.
I am building titan already on OBS nemo:devel:hw:motorola:thea and am preparing to create the next fixes and releases as OTA instead of complete builds.
And of course I would be very happy if you have some spare time and join me in this port effort. (my resources are on github of course).

Have fun - Guhl
29th January 2017, 09:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guhl99

Hi Mavireck,

I did see your work on this of course and I also looked at MisterMagister and your github sources.
But in principle I did this port from scratch as most of the things are outdated as you already assumed.
I am building titan already on OBS nemo:devel:hw:motorola:thea and am preparing to create the next fixes and releases as OTA instead of complete builds.
And of course I would be very happy if you have some spare time and join me in this port effort. (my resources are on github of course).

Have fun - Guhl

I don't think I would be able to help... I am still new to all this kind of stuff (I didn't even used Linux before).
I had just followed the instructions and I stole some fixes here and there but I wasn't able to fix the issues that weren't documented.
I really don't have time now (final exams are coming) but maybe later I will re-download the sources and have a look.

P.S. I don't even have my Moto G anymore : I lent it to a friend.
5th February 2017, 08:52 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Beta 3
Hi,
I released Beta 3 and updated the OP.
See changelog in OP.
Have fun - Guhl
The Following User Says Thank You to guhl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guhl99 Ad-Free
10th February 2017, 09:37 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Beta 4
Hi,
I released Beta 4.

It mainly fixes the sensors (acceleration and rotation). As Motorola did a real nasty hack in the acceleration kernel driver and the closed source sensor-library I also had to do a nasty hack to get the sensors working. For now this is done by a script that monitors the screen on/off state and also enables/disables the sensor chip that is responsible for acceleration, magnetometer and compass.
If you are interested see here:
https://github.com/guhl/droid-config...6c27d55eeb2b2f

I will integrate this functionality into the regular Sailfish OS (mer) sensorfw service to remove the hack-script and try to get that integrated upstream.

Have fun - Guhl
13th February 2017, 06:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi
I install the rom on my thea and this is my report of bugs
- Can't access to my external sdcard (maybe the format of the sd is not support for the rom) I try mount in options but not work
-When shutdown my phone ( not restart) and re start/on , I get bootloop, in the logo motorola, led notifications on and not loading. (My solution in the recovery, wipe davilk/art and cache, and works again)

Works fine to me
Wifi,bluetooh, sensors, Signal, sync account to google, no fc
I not test gps, calls
Sorry for my English is regular
Nice rom and project!! Waiting for more
Regards!
15th February 2017, 07:51 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Beta 5
Hi,

I uploaded Beta 5 and changed the OP accordingly.
In principle all functionality should be working now. See the OP for some remarks.

Be warned again, that the hack that is used to fix recorded video playback may have stability and security side effects. The hack basically removes a check in the OMX decoder that the allocated video buffer does not have the same size as the expected size (it is smaller). This may enable buffer overruns with the usual side effects. So if you want to be careful: Do not play videos from sources you don't trust

Have fun - Guhl
15th February 2017, 07:55 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasm7

Hi
I install the rom on my thea and this is my report of bugs
- Can't access to my external sdcard (maybe the format of the sd is not support for the rom) I try mount in options but not work
-When shutdown my phone ( not restart) and re start/on , I get bootloop, in the logo motorola, led notifications on and not loading. (My solution in the recovery, wipe davilk/art and cache, and works again)

Works fine to me
Wifi,bluetooh, sensors, Signal, sync account to google, no fc
I not test gps, calls
Sorry for my English is regular
Nice rom and project!! Waiting for more
Regards!

Hi,
thanks for the feedback.
I know that the reboot does not work some times. I think that even without cleaning the cache it should work after you booted to recovery once. I have no idea what is causing this but maybe we can find some more hints.
I will look into sdcard mounting, never tried that
Have fun - Guhl
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2.0.5.6, 2.1.0.11, sailfish os, thea

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)