FORUMS

[ROM][LineageOS 14.1][substratum] for Moto G [falcon]

1,122 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,413

By MSe1969, Senior Member on 24th June 2018, 09:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

this is my unofficial LineageOS 14.1 build for the Moto G (falcon) device with current security patches, microG patch and substratum support.
(This thread is for the falcon device, I have also a thread for preregrine using the same sources)

As announced here, LineageOS has discontinued to deliver official 14.1 builds in the course of providing LineageOS 16.0 builds, but the 14.1 tree will continue to be maintained for security patches by the community (I am one of these contibutors, btw). So this build will continue.

The build has got the following features:
  • LineageOS 14.1 with current security patches (from official LineageOS repositories)
  • Security string 2020-07-05, AOSP tag 7.2.1_r36
  • Adapted LineageOS Jelly Browser (additionally having Startpage and Qwant as search engines)
  • Root is not included and would need to be flashed separately
  • Patched for the use of the substratum theme engine (the substratum app and the themes need to be downloaded separately)
  • System certificates taken from AOSP Oreo branch
  • Kernel forked from LineageOS and updated with many security patches
  • OTA Support
  • Enforcing SELinux

There are two build variants available:

A. Default LineageOS 14.1 with substratum and microG patch
  • Patched for the use of microG - you can either flash Gapps or manually install microG as apps (or use neither of those)
  • Android System Webview M81
Download here

B. Hardened build with pre-installed microG and F-Droid, patched for substratum
For the security/privacy focused. It has to be said that microG seems to run better if it is pre-installed.
  • Pre-installed microG same as the LineageOS for microG project
  • Pre-installed AuroraStore / AuroraServices
  • Additional security hardening features listed below
  • SQLite 'secure delete' feature enabled
  • Access to /proc/net blocked for user apps
  • Bundled netmonitor app to allow network monitoring
  • Enhanced Privacy Guard: Switches for motion sensors and other sensors available
  • Oreo backport: SET_TIME_ZONE permission restricted to system apps
  • Oreo backport: Access to timers in /proc restricted
  • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
  • Privacy-preferred default settings
  • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
  • Bromite System Webview M83
Download here

Source Code links
LineageOS: https://github.com/LineageOS
Kernel: https://github.com/lin14-mGoms/andro...26/tree/mse_v1
microG patches:
(1) https://github.com/microg/android_pa...s_base-N.patch
(2) https://github.com/microg/android_pa...s_base-N.patch
Patches for Substratum: https://github.com/LineageOMS
local manifest: https://github.com/lin14-mGoms/local...ee/cm-14.1-oms

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!
Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty information available.

Pre-Requisites
  • Get familiar with the hardware keys of the Motorola Moto G (falcon) device, especially how to enter fastboot mode (switch phone off hold power + volume down together for about 3 seconds) and recovery mode (in fastboot mode, switch with volume down key to the reboot recovery option and select with volume up key)
  • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
  • Download the most current .ZIP file of this ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory
  • An unlocked bootloader (read the warnings carefully and backup your data!
  • Your bootloader must at least be on version 41.18 (find out via fastboot getvar version-bootloader) - if your bootloader is below that version, the ROM will refuse to install. In that case, you need to upgrade the BL first. See e.g. here for more info. (I currently do not find the link, which I have used some years back, but the provided link should be helpful, too)

Install TWRP recovery
If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. If you have already a working custom recovery on your device, there is no necessity to replace it.
However - I recommend to use the TWRP recovery. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
NOTE: There have been reports of encryption issues in this thread, when using TWRP 3.3.x, which disappear, when TWRP 3.2.1 is used - I myself use the TWRP 3.2.1, as higher versions have mainly been developed for higher Android versions. I can't technically confirm or prove the situation, but based on the reports and the fact, that I myself did not encounter ANY issues for my own device with TWRP 3.2.1, I recommend this version
To install TWRP, download the TWRP.img file (Note: replace "TWRP.img" in the following instructions with the real file name) from this section to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode', connect the device via USB to your PC and enter the following command on your PC:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (see above) - I recommend not to boot the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP. Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP should be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!
Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and specify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped.
Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory" (or "SD Card", if shown). Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

GApps (only for build variant A - do not flash on build variant B!)
You have the choice: a. Use microG - b. Flash GApps - c. Neither of those (obviously, you cannot combine those options!)
'microG' is installed simply by installing the respective apps, no flashing necessary. If you wish to have GApps, they need to be flashed together with the ROM. Download GApps in that case only from opengapps.org and put the .ZIP also to the Internal memory of your device. Choose ARM as platform, Android 7.1 and the flavor of your choice. I strongly recommend "pico" for two reasons:
1. The Moto G has not much internal memory (8 or 16GB) and no SD card and GApps are notoriously known to waste a lot of space
2. It leaves you the most freedom to only install, what you really need; you can later download and still install all the Google products you want from the play store, so you do not need to live with pre-installed Google stuff you have no use for.
The 'microG patch' in this ROM has no negative impact on installing Gapps.

Install the ROM
In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard).
Choose the .ZIP file of this ROM and swipe to flash. If you update from a previous version of this ROM, you don't need to perform a wipe. If in that case, you had GApps already installed before the update, there is no need to flash them again. They will be automatically restored during the flash process.
If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above. If you want to install GApps, flash them directly after the ROM, do not reboot in between. (Note: If you wish to get rid of previously installed GApps, navigate to TWRP's file manager in the Advanced section of the main menu, go to path /system/addon.d and delete the file 70-gapps.sh, before flashing the ROM update)
When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into Lineage OS 14.1 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

Credits
Android Open Source project (AOSP)
LineageOS project
microG project
Substratum team

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][LineageOS 14.1][substratum] for Moto G [falcon], ROM for the Moto G

Contributors
MSe1969
Source Code: https://github.com/lin14-mGoms/local...ee/cm-14.1-oms

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: LineageOS 14.1

Version Information
Current Stable Version: cm-14.1
Stable Release Date: 2020-07-12

Created 2018-06-24
Last Updated 2020-07-12
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
24th June 2018, 09:48 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt Rhine-Main metropolitan region

More
Change Log
July 12th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-07-05
  • microG flavor only: updated prebuilt microG GmsCore fom /e/ project to fix FCM registration issues
  • microG flavor only: F-Droid updated to 1.8 / F-Droid privileged extension updated to 0.2.11
  • microG flavor only: Aurorastore updated to 3.2.9 / AuroraServices updated to 1.0.6

June 09th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-06-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 81.0.4044.138
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 83.0.4103.76

May 07th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-05-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 81.0.4044.117
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.127
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.2.8

April 10th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-04-05
  • Fix for CVE-2020-8597 (external/ppp)
  • Kernel: CVE-2019-10638 siphash 128bit for IP generation
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 80.0.3987.132
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.76
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.2.4

March 07th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-03-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 80.0.3987.117
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 80.0.3987.118
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.2.0
  • microG flavor only: Added Netguard app (F-Droid version) to SELinux domain allowing to access /proc/net

February 07th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-02-01
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 79.0.3945.136
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 79.0.3945.139
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.1.8

January 13th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-01-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 79.0.3945.116
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 79.0.3945.107
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.1.7
  • microG flavor only: AuroraServices updated to 1.0.5

December 7th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-12-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 78.0.3904.96
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.1.5

November 10th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-11-05
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 78.0.3904.72
  • microG flavor only: microG GMS core updated to 0.2.9

October 15th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-10-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 77.0.3865.92
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 77.0.3865.104
  • microG flavor only: AuroraStore updated to 3.1.3

September 10th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-09-05
  • Standard flavor only: System Webview on 76.0.3809.111
  • microG flavor only: AuroraServices updated to 1.0.4

August 11th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-08-05
  • Additional patches from AOSP branch 'nougat-mr2-security-release'
  • OTA Support
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 76.0.3809.100
  • microG flavor only: Aurorastore 3.0.9 with AuroraServices install method

July 5th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-07-05
  • System Webview updated to 75.0.3770.101 (non-microG flavor)
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 75.0.3770.109

June 12th, 2019
  • ASB Security string 2019-06-05
  • System Webview updated to 74.0.3729.157 (non-microG flavor)
  • microG flavor only: Bromite Webview on 75.0.3770.86
  • microG flavor only: Replaced Yalpstore with Aurorastore
  • microG flavor only: Updated F-Droid & priv. extension
  • microG flavor only: Updated microG GMS core 0.2.7.x

May 8th, 2019
  • Security string 2019-05-05
  • System Webview M74
  • 2nd build variant: "hardened microG build"

April 8th, 2019
  • Security string 2019-04-05

March 12th, 2019
  • Security string 2019-03-05
  • Android System Webview updated to M72 (includes CVE-2019-5786)

February 8th, 2019
  • Security string 2019-02-05
  • Android System Webview M71
  • Kernel updated with many security patches
  • Additional Spectre V1 mitigations for the kernel

January 12th, 2019
  • Security string 2019-01-05

December 8th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-12-05
  • Fix of 'adb root' bug

November 8th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-11-05

October 20th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-10-05
  • Android System Webview M69

September 9th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-09-05

August 10th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-08-05

July 24th, 2018
  • Security string 2018-07-05
  • System certificates from Oreo AOSP branch

June 24th, 2018
Initial creation
  • Security string 2018-06-05
  • AOSP tag 7.2.1_r36
  • Android System Webview M67
  • microG N patches
  • Patched repositories according to LineageOMS project to support substratum
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
24th June 2018, 09:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Tips and tricks
microG installation on build variant A
The ROM (build variant A) is patched for the use of microG, but it does not contain the microG system components.
The best way to obtain them is to install the F-Droid store as app store and to include the microG repository as described on the microG Download page, where you will also find links for the direct download of the .apk files.
Please refer to the official installation instructions. However, there are three pieces of information, which are explained on the microG pages, but unfortunately not directly in the installation instructions, so I would like to point them out here:
  1. Download the latest 'unstable' Gms Core version to avoid "outdated play services" warnings
  2. The Location Provider functionality is included in Gms Core, but also available as separate application. I recommend Gms Core - however, the explanation is not included in Gms Core, but only here
  3. To grant the signature spoofing permission, go to Settings - Apps - Advanced (the 'gear' icon) - App Permissions - Spoof package signature; it is not possible when you enter the individual app's permissions menu
  4. Make sure to grant all permissions to the location and microG apps (best via running the self-test)

Install substratum
This ROM is patched to support the substratum theme engine, so no root required because of substratum (different from unpatched ROMs). Simply download and install the substratum theme engine from the play store (or look further down, if you don't use GApps) and also the theme(s), you wish to use. For any support with regards to substratum itself and the themes, please search on XDA in the respective forums. You may of course also ask here in this thread and I hope people participating here will answer, but I am no substratum expert, so please do not expect too much support from my side, when it comes to substratum details.
Btw, the ROM also works without substratum, so you can simply use it without, e.g. because of the microG patch.

Getting the substratum app without GApps
Without GApps, no official Play store . . . - but: When you search in XDA / the internet or simply install F-Droid (and for example search for "play store" in F-Droid), you will find a suitable alternative . . . ;)

Root
Although not needed for substratum, there are many further valid reasons why root is needed (I myself also use it). The most popular options are:Note that I cannot and will not support any issues related to Magisk and/or SuperSU

Details about the build variant B (hardened microG build)
The security hardening features of the 2nd build variant are described here
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
25th June 2018, 07:44 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
If you come from an official LineageOS 14.1 build and you would like to "dirty-flash" this OMS build - i.e. no wipe to keep your stuff (my recommendation is to do a clean install, see OP) - these instructions on the LineageOS Wiki are helpful. I will however not further explain this, you need to know, what you are doing (if you don't understand these instructions, it really is better and in your own interest, if you don't do it)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
26th June 2018, 04:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 698

More
Excellent, I clean flashed this build, thank you so much! @MSe1969

For anyone who wants to know which is better - just clean flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to legendavey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift legendavey Ad-Free
20th July 2018, 04:58 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi all, just an interim info:
New build with July ASB will be available mid of next week - Google has only published the AOSP links end of last week and I didn't have any time this week to make a new build...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
20th July 2018, 08:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSe1969

Hi all, just an interim info:
New build with July ASB will be available mid of next week - Google has only published the AOSP links end of last week and I didn't have any time this week to make a new build...

24th July 2018, 04:39 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
New build with July ASB patches
Hi all, a new build is up:
  • Sec. string 2017-07-05 (July patch level)
  • System certificates taken from Oreo AOSP branch

Download here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
11th August 2018, 03:20 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
New build with August ASB patches
Hi all,

new build with August Sec. patches available for download here

Regards, M.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSe1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSe1969 Ad-Free
11th August 2018, 08:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 698

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSe1969

Hi all,

new build with August Sec. patches available

Regards, M.

Thank you for the updated build!

Clean flashed the latest build just to be on the safe side, but can these updates be dirty flashed in the future?
11th August 2018, 10:43 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendavey

Thank you for the updated build!

Clean flashed the latest build just to be on the safe side, but can these updates be dirty flashed in the future?

Sure, if you update "my" build, you can dirty-flash - the recommendation for the clean-flash was/is when you come from a different ROM, like e.g. an official LineageOS build
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lineageos 14.1, microg, substratum

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)