FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Restore softbricked phone after Lollipop update

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By GI0\/\NNI, Guest on 7th December 2014, 06:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
FIRST OF ALL

(Also for downgrading to KitKat without softbricked phone!)

Okay, I decided to do the OTA to lollipop, everything went fine. So after some use I decided to play with the /system partition. I formatted it without making a working backup so my phone was kinda softbricked. REMEMBER THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HARDBRICKED BOOTLOADERS, you guys have to wait.

SO WHAT TO DO?

1. Plug your phone into fastboot in your pc.
2. Flash a custom recovery, like CWM, I know you'll have a screen rimble effect due the new bootloader (doesn't matter)
3. Open recovery and keep it plugged into PC, recovery will have adb on by default so leave recovery as it is.
4. Open CMD and type:
Code:
cd directory-with-adb.exe-and-fastboot.exe-etc.
(I assume that you guys know how to use adb and fastboot with CMD)
5. Type:
Code:
adb devices
6. Your Moto's serial number should show up in the attached devices list (serialnumber, recovery), if not download the driver installer from http://adbdriver.com
7. Now download a firmware flashable zip to the directory in your CMD (CyanogenMod or stock firmwares from here)
8. Now you have to make sure you are able to mount the /sdcard in recovery: To make sure do a /data and media wipe. (Also helps on GPe ROM and the encryption problem!)
9. Now you can push the downloaded zip to the phone's sdcard using:
Code:
adb push yourrom.zip /sdcard/yourrom.zip
It will take some time.
10. Now you can install but you may face a not working SIM or WiFi, you need to download a .xml.zip firmware corresponding to your just flashed version. Navigate to your firmware folder using CMD. Then type:
Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
11. Now your phone should work. You will have that annoying screen rimble. Sometimes it's gone, just turn screen off for a few minutes. It will be fixed when you install the stock recovery and then flash an lollipop OTA zip just like before! (OTA's will still show up and works with updating )

WARNING!

SOME GUYS MADE A HUGE MISTAKE AND BRICKED THEIR BOOTLOADER. THEY FLASHED LOLLIPOP OTA, THEN DOWNGRADED TO 4.4.2 AND THEY TRIED TO UPDATE TO 4.4.4 BY OTA!
THAT RUINED THE BOOTLOADER SEE BELOW!


FOR HARDBRICKED DEVICES

You ruined your bootloader, we need a mbm-ci (blankflasher tool) with the 5.0 bootloader. We have to wait till Motorola releases it. So no support yet.
Sorry guys, that was the risk!

HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THIS TUTORIAL!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GI0\/\NNI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GI0\/\NNI Ad-Free
 
 
7th December 2014, 06:31 PM |#2  
Josuegrs's Avatar
Member
Flag Neily
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Thanks for the guide.
8th December 2014, 05:27 PM |#3  
mostwantedxda's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cochin
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Unhappy restore
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI0\/\NNI

FIRST OF ALL

Okay, I decided to do the OTA to lollipop, everything went fine. So after some use I decided to play with the /system partition. I formatted it without making a working backup so my phone was kinda softbricked. REMEMBER THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HARDBRICKED BOOTLOADERS, you guys have to wait.

SO WHAT TO DO?

1. Plug your phone into fastboot in your pc.
2. Flash a custom recovery, like CWM, I know you'll have a screen rimble effect due the new bootloader (doesn't matter)
3. Open recovery and keep it plugged into PC, recovery will have adb on by default so leave recovery as it is.
4. Open CMD and type:

Code:
cd directory-with-adb.exe-and-fastboot.exe-etc.
(I assume that you guys know how to use adb and fastboot with CMD)
5. Type:
Code:
adb devices
6. Your Moto's serial number should show up in the attached devices list (serialnumber, recovery), if not download the driver installer from http://adbdriver.com
7. Now download a firmware flashable zip to the directory in your CMD (CyanogenMod or stock firmwares from here)
8. Now you have to make sure you are able to mount the /sdcard in recovery: To make sure do a /data and media wipe. (Also helps on GPe ROM and the encryption problem!)
9. Now you can push the downloaded zip to the phone's sdcard using:
Code:
adb push yourrom.zip /sdcard/yourrom.zip
It will take some time.
10. Now you can install but you may face a not working SIM or WiFi, you need to download a .xml.zip firmware corresponding to your just flashed version. Navigate to your firmware folder using CMD. Then type:
Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
11. Now your phone should work. You will have that annoying screen rimble. Sometimes it's gone but not sure. It will be fixed when you install the stock recovery and then flash an lollipop OTA zip just like before! (OTA's will still show up and works with updating )

FOR HARDBRICKED DEVICES

You ruined your bootloader, we need a mbm-ci (blankflasher tool) with the 5.0 bootloader. We have to wait till Motorola releases it. So no support yet.
Sorry guys, that was the risk!

HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THIS TUTORIAL!



thanks for this guide
but my phone is not bricked ,can i downgrade 5.0 to 4.4.4
because my moto g is asian retail, i already installed brasil firmware and ota file
GI0\/\NNI
8th December 2014, 06:21 PM |#4  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostwantedxda

thanks for this guide
but my phone is not bricked ,can i downgrade 5.0 to 4.4.4
because my moto g is asian retail, i already installed brasil firmware and ota file

Yeah just follow guide!
10th December 2014, 05:37 AM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Hi I have updated my Asian XT 1033 to brazil 5.0 but experienced NO NETWORK on both the sim cards... and now i downgraded to my asian 4.4.4 but still NO NETWORK on both sim cards... Please help .... m worried ;(
10th December 2014, 07:08 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Unhappy Imei vanished
My imei numbers are vanished.... Please help me... is there any thing i can do now??
GI0\/\NNI
10th December 2014, 07:26 AM |#7  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterhere

Hi I have updated my Asian XT 1033 to brazil 5.0 but experienced NO NETWORK on both the sim cards... and now i downgraded to my asian 4.4.4 but still NO NETWORK on both sim cards... Please help .... m worried ;(

Flash 4.4.4
NON-HLOS.bin
fsg.mbn

Read the guide!
GI0\/\NNI
10th December 2014, 07:27 AM |#8  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterhere

My imei numbers are vanished.... Please help me... is there any thing i can do now??

@hunterhere,

I think I found a solution!

1. Download and extract zip
2. Connect phone in fastboot mode to your PC
3. Run IMEI_fix_gio.bat
4. Should work now!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMEI_fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.26 MB, 644 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
10th December 2014, 11:59 AM |#9  
poran123's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Shillong
Thanks Meter: 111
 
More
first of all i dont know where to ask this Q
after i downgrade to 4.4.4 with the guide will i be able to flash CM12 or my phone will be dead?
10th December 2014, 12:13 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poran123

first of all i dont know where to ask this Q
after i downgrade to 4.4.4 with the guide will i be able to flash CM12 or my phone will be dead?

after downgrading from 5.0 i was able to flash any rom STOCK 4.4.4 of any region and 5.0 too again... so according to this u shld be able to flash....
GI0\/\NNI
10th December 2014, 12:14 PM |#11  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poran123

first of all i dont know where to ask this Q
after i downgrade to 4.4.4 with the guide will i be able to flash CM12 or my phone will be dead?

You can flash without problems. Promise!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lollipop, moto g, restore, softbricked

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes