FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Motorola G4 Play - X1607 Consumer Cellular edition - Fix SIM Lock (6/2018 SW update)

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By DarkMeans, Junior Member on 30th June 2018, 09:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I originally bought an X1607 because it was SIM unlocked (or at least wasn't enforced) in 1/2017.

As of an Android update to 7.1.1 in 6/2018, the newest radio firmware either enables SIM locking to Consumer Cellular SIM cards only, or at least enforces it if previously enabled.

My phone essentially became a brick, as I wasn't able to use it as a phone or an LTE device.

First I tried to just buy an unlock code from eBay. Nobody at the time of this posting was able to generate the unlock code. Consumer Cellular was of NO HELP at all, I'd rather bang my head against a wall than talk to them again.

Luckily for me, BOTH of my parents also had this phone, so I had a few phones to work with and try to get it working.
NOTE: Do NOT just unlock the bootloader and install Lineage, that will not make it work.

It took some doing, but this is how I fixed the issue. It works with a stock phone with a locked bootloader.

1) Download the official image for "harpia" at the link. [mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/harpia/official/]

2) I used the "Consumer Cellular" version, but I hope that it will work with the others. The "CCAWS" version was the one that I used. (NOTE: If this is not in fact the "Consumer Cellular" version, it did work with my phone version).

3) Copy the following 2 files out of this zip file.
NON-HLOS.bin
fsg fsg.mbn

4) Perform the following commands from your command line.
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache

5) Reboot, and you should have it working now.

6) Turn off all Automatic Updates, you don't want to do this again.

Please let me know if you have any issues and I'll do my best to help you out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkMeans For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarkMeans Ad-Free

1st July 2018, 09:18 PM |#2  
Flag Jacksonville, Fl
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Great timing, a friend just ran into this issue and I will now be able to help them out...hopefully

Thx
1st July 2018, 11:27 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem

Great timing, a friend just ran into this issue and I will now be able to help them out...hopefully

Thx

Glad to help.
If you have any issues, PM me and if I am needing to add or improve the OP, I'll edit it in there.
2nd July 2018, 05:15 PM |#4  
Flag Jacksonville, Fl
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Worked great, thx.

Have you tried flashing other carrier firmware, like maybe the unlocked version? Or do you have to unlock bootloader to do that?
2nd July 2018, 09:14 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem

Worked great, thx.

Have you tried flashing other carrier firmware, like maybe the unlocked version? Or do you have to unlock bootloader to do that?

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

Good question on flashing to another carrier.
Just took a look, and didn't see anything that is obviously looking like it is T-Mobile. They might not even have a G4 Play version. I was just irked that it had worked for so long that they just now decided to lock it, and then were completely unwilling to unlock it now that I'm well outside of the return window.
3rd July 2018, 02:09 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for posting the guide! Worked great!
4th July 2018, 02:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Might want to post this to the Moto G4 Play forum, because this forum is for the OG Moto G.

But otherwise, nice guide!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)