FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Newb-Friendly Guide to Rooting Moto G 4G LTE(peregrine)

469 posts
Thanks Meter: 212

By Hitorijanae, Senior Member on 25th June 2014, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th July 2014, 03:57 AM |#11  
Flag Tryon, North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 739

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen2112

I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?

Note for the new ones here:

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

Moto X code name is "ghost"
Droid Maxx code name is "obake"

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

10th July 2014, 03:54 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 397

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT

Note for the new ones here:

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

Moto X code name is "ghost"
Droid Maxx code name is "obake"

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

XT1039 is Peregrene as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy! For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sleepy! Ad-Free
13th July 2014, 04:14 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen2112

I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?

So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.
16th July 2014, 08:34 PM |#14  
Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Fully working CWM Recovery (Unofficial) Now Available Here for Moto G 4G/LTE. ie. can 'fastboot flash' this version.
20th July 2014, 04:52 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey guys so I did this fully, seemed to work, but when I go back and launch bootloader and try to run recovery it says "boot failed"

Initially I installed SuperSU through TWRP like stated and functions, but I feel like I dont actually have a recovery installed..?
20th July 2014, 06:06 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi

So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.

Thanks. I notice that once I did the process. "fastboot boot" only boot the device, it don't flash anything. In my case I only want the root, this works perfectly for me.
28th July 2014, 09:55 AM |#17  
Flag Stockport
Thanks Meter: 1

More
XT1039, here. Worked fine for me!

Now I can actually install apps without worrying about the internal memory evaporating. It's almost as good as Gingerbread!
29th July 2014, 05:26 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
install 4.4.4 after root.
Thanks for this guide it worked perfectly.

But what is the newbiest way to remove root, install 4.4.4 update.
And return to root. I tried using the supersu app to un-root but it didn't work.
29th July 2014, 01:32 PM |#19  
Flag Oceanside, Ca
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Has anyone tried this method? http://www.droidviews.com/root-moto-g-4g-lte/

Seems I am torn between fastboot boot as described in this tread, or the fastboot flash described in the droidviews instructions. Although I am not interested in ROMs, I do want the ability to backup and restore the way TWRP does it. I have TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.

The two files associated with this TWRP boot/flash are:

twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (from droidviews instructions)
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-xt1032 (from this thread)

Thanks
29th July 2014, 02:08 PM |#20  
Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D

Has anyone tried this method? http://www.droidviews.com/root-moto-g-4g-lte/

Seems I am torn between fastboot boot as described in this tread, or the fastboot flash described in the droidviews instructions. Although I am not interested in ROMs, I do want the ability to backup and restore the way TWRP does it. I have TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.

The two files associated with this TWRP boot/flash are:

twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (from droidviews instructions)
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-xt1032 (from this thread)

Thanks

fastboot boot --> temporary boot from computer, no files modified on device
fastboot flash --> files are modified on device

This thread (OLD) --> The recovery in this thread is actually for Moto G (falcon). Do NOT fastboot flash - it will not work for our devie (Moto G 4G - peregrine). Only fastboot boot works. It was useful for installing SuperSu and gaining root (but you couldn't boot into custom recovery again without computer as it remained stock recovery)

Moto G 4G Development Thread on CWM, TWRP and Philz recoveries (NEW) --> These are fully functional recoveries specific for the Moto G 4G (peregrine) - Our device! Thus we can 'fastboot flash' onto our device and it will work. Droidviews has done a nice guide on how to 'Fastboot flash' with TWRP. But you can flash the otehr two recoveries too (just download the file from the thread and flash like droidviews says). Choose whichever you prefer!

You can then install SuperSU for root, and reboot into recovery at any time to install/backup/restore etc with recovery.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vpnair For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vpnair Ad-Free
29th July 2014, 02:19 PM |#21  
Flag Oceanside, Ca
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpnair

fastboot boot --> temporary boot from computer, no files modified on device
fastboot flash --> files are modified on device

This thread (OLD) --> The recovery for this thread is actually for Moto G (falcon). Do NOT fastboot flash. Only fastboot boot works. It was useful for installing SuperSu and gaining root (but you couldn't boot into custom recovery again without computer as it remained stock recovery)

Moto G 4G Development Thread on CWM, TWRP and PhilZ recovery (NEW) --> These are the unofficial Moto G 4G (peregrine) TWRP, CWM, and PhilZ recovery. Droidviews has done a nice guide on how to 'Fastboot flash' the TWRP. But you can do it for CWM, or Philz recovery too. Whichever you prefer! You can then install SuperSU and reboot into recovery at any time to install/backup/restore etc with recovery. I recommended this.

Thanks, so the simple answer is to

fastboot falsh twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (based on the info in this TWRP thread.)

and I should be good to go. There seems to be too much information that also seems to be outdated (as you mentioned).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)