[How to FIX] error code 96 - text messaging (sms) issue

Search This thread

appsmarsterx

Sep 18, 2013
if you are having this "error code 96" issue, you probably having hard time sending text messages (SMS)

so here is how to fix it

1. Go to your dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* to enter Engineer/Service Mode.
2. go to "phone information"
3. scroll down and tap "turn on SMS over IMS" to turn on sms.
4. after that tap "refresh" button and after that tap "update" button to update the new settings..

done :)

Reactions: Lennoard

killerontherun

Nov 19, 2016
can't find Point 3

respected Sir I can not Find The Tab You said In Point 3 "turn on SMS over IMS" on Motorola Nexus 6 android Version 7.0 NBD90z

This Is the First time I am Facing This sms Sending Problem . While i am A Motorola Lover previous Version I used was turbo xt1256 And There Was No Problem With Any thing not Even With The 4 G lte Services . In this ...nexus 6 Im Facing 2 Problems SMS and LTE Not Working.....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

chennyy

Feb 9, 2017
respected Sir I can not Find The Tab You said In Point 3 "turn on SMS over IMS" on Motorola Nexus 6 android Version 7.0 NBD90z

This Is the First time I am Facing This sms Sending Problem . While i am A Motorola Lover previous Version I used was turbo xt1256 And There Was No Problem With Any thing not Even With The 4 G lte Services . In this ...nexus 6 Im Facing 2 Problems SMS and LTE Not Working.....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

It might be a software problem. Try to update the software with the help of instructions written in Motorola Moto G Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-moto-g-2nd-generation-manual&po=505893&lang=English . After updating software it starts working.

VeryThat

Dec 16, 2017
Another solution

I had the same issue with my Moto G4 Play. The strange thing was that I could send SMS to everyone except for one specific contact. Clearing the messaging app's cache/data and then restarting my phone fixed the problem.

dr.ajaisingh

Oct 14, 2016
if you are having this "error code 96" issue, you probably having hard time sending text messages (SMS)

so here is how to fix it

4. after that tap "refresh" button and after that tap "update" button to update the new settings..

after doing above as told I get the following

SMSC: update error
TOGGLE DNS CHECK 0.0.0.0 not allowed

please let me know what next,...

chand basha

Jan 4, 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx

so here is how to fix it

done

after doing above as told I get the following

my phone Nokia 6 please let me know what next,...

dr.ajaisingh

Oct 14, 2016
Error code 96, how to fix

so here is how to fix it

I have processed the above and then I get the following

SMSC: '+7', 145
I called up Airtel (my service provider) they suggested to update the message centre number
then I again repeated the above steps 1 thru 3 and in the blank space against SMSC I manually entered '+919816091514', I got

My service provider (Airtel) is unable to help me.
My home circle is Himachal Pradesh, and I am roaming into Uttarakhand (UP West)

this issue is from the last couple days
Please suggest

appsmarsterx

Sep 18, 2013

I called up Airtel (my service provider) they suggested to update the message centre number
then I again repeated the above steps 1 thru 3 and in the blank space against SMSC I manually entered '+919816091514', I got

Please suggest

unfortunately not sure about your error. I'm not using my moto g anymore. btw are you using the stock rom ? try doing a factory reset or try flashing a different rom and see if the issue still persists ?

Last edited:

abhishek120

Jun 7, 2013
Delhi
Redmi Note 10 Pro

Please suggest

i am also facing same issue.. is it solved?

Haudis

Feb 14, 2018
Fix I found

i am also facing same issue.. is it solved?

I tried everything listed on here to no avail. Finally, I put the country code in front of the number I was having an issue with texting. For example, USA is the number 1. So for the phone number I put 1(602)555-5555. This fixed the problem I was having. Hope this helps.

shuklajee

Mar 16, 2018
#SOLVED
If you are getting error code 96 or error code 38 while sending your SMS text from Android Smart phones, use following steps:
Step 1. *#*4636#*#* from Dialer panel
Step 2. Go to "phone information"
Step 3. Identify Message center number from your service provider and enter this number at "SMSC". Click update and then refresh.
Step 4. Send SMS.

jocloo

Mar 19, 2018
Lincolnshire
Try this first

I had the same problem with one contact.

I found a posting elsewhere that said they solved their problem by going into Contacts and adding the "1" before the area code for the problem contact's phone number.

That worked for me.

raeann_w

May 31, 2018
I had the same issue with my Moto G4 Play. The strange thing was that I could send SMS to everyone except for one specific contact. Clearing the messaging app's cache/data and then restarting my phone fixed the problem.

Thank you for posting this! This was the same problem I had. Sending to only one of my contacts was giving me the error but I was able to send messages to others without problems. Clearing the messaging app cache and restarting the phone fixed it for me. I was not able to resend the stuck messages but new messages now send to the contact with no errors.

Imkrishnaravi

Feb 26, 2019
"error code 96" issue

I tried this method.
It worked

Same procedure was followed as explained in many threads
Step 1. *#*4636#*#* from Dialer panel
Step 2. Go to "phone information"
Step 3. Identify Message center number from your service provider and enter this number at "SMSC". Click update and then refresh.

While entering your smsc make sure you include a + (plus symbol)for country code .
This is the one which create many errors !

Just make sure you add a plus sign

Example : if you are in Karnataka using airtel sim
Smsc would be +919845086007
Then press update and exit
Try sending messages .

tooplanx

May 8, 2013
Additional info:

Just gone through all this and still couldn't get it to work.

I discovered the solution for me:

Didn't need to encode the SMSC number. Instead I needed to format it like this:
"+447458399008", 145

And then press update. The +447458399008 is the Virgin UK SMSC number and the 145 is apparently a port number.

This was what finally solved it.

Last edited:

abinbasil

Feb 16, 2020
Final fix - Highly recommended!

Hi guys,
I am new to XDA developers site and I have to explain my situation here. One month ago, I started getting an error 96 when trying to sent SMS from my Airtel sim (Phone is Moto G5 Plus). I tried calling the Airtel customer care and they said that my SMSC number is missing, that's why it's showing that error. They gave the SMSC number and I tried updating it from Messages app where I couldn't find the settings. Then I found one fix like we have take the sim out and put it in a old feature phone and set the number. After I set the number-tested sending SMS-succeeded. But the same error came when I put it in my G5 Plus.
Then I tried setting through *#*#4636#*#*. Update error came. Then I encoded the number and tried to update. Again same 'update error'. I suffered for one month without any features like UPI transfer or text messaging. Then I asked a Android developer engineer and he told that my sim can be damaged due to extreme heat. But I was confused why it doesn't affect the old Nokia phone.
Fix
Very simple. As he said my sim is damaged, I went to a Airtel retail center - ordered a duplicate sim and Hurray... It worked
This is my idea to all friends who are searching for a fix till now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

so here is how to fix it