[Q] Moto G 4.4.4 update breaks Play Services

Search This thread

whymoo

Sep 7, 2011
I tried to install the GPE rom on my bootloader locked verizon moto g this caused the device to show invalid system image at startup, after many failed attempts I was able to restore by upgrading to android 4.4.4 through Motorola device manger.
Now when I open Google Play it says "no connection, retry"
When I launch hangouts it says "Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again."
If I try to enable Google Now "Google now requires location services which are not available" (location is on high accuracy)
I think the problem could be due to the fact that I bought and used the moto g in the US but now I am in Russia.
I tried most of the usual fixes for Google play services, none work and tried factory restore (I can't do the ones that require root, no root for 4.4.4)
Does anyone know a possible solution including downgrading?

theonecallednick

Oct 5, 2014
kathmandu
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I tried to install the GPE rom on my bootloader locked verizon moto g this caused the device to show invalid system image at startup, after many failed attempts I was able to restore by upgrading to android 4.4.4 through Motorola device manger.
When I launch hangouts it says "Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again."
If I try to enable Google Now "Google now requires location services which are not available" (location is on high accuracy)
I think the problem could be due to the fact that I bought and used the moto g in the US but now I am in Russia.
I tried most of the usual fixes for Google play services, none work and tried factory restore (I can't do the ones that require root, no root for 4.4.4)
try editing the hosts file using root explorer..

saw429

I did the same thing as you tried to update to a GPE rom on my locked bootlader verizon moto g. How did you fix it?