FORUMS

[ROOT] [GUIDE] Root Moto G4 (Plus) with SuperSU on Android 7.0 (NPJ25.93-14)

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 37

By disguisedview, Member on 11th April 2017, 03:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here are the steps to root the Moto G4 (Plus) on Android 7.0 with SuperSU.

1. Unlock your bootloader with the Code you can receive from Motorola. Further instructions: unlocking bootloader. You have to create a Motorola account first.
2. Flash TWRP 3.0.2.0 through bootloader. Download and how-to-flash: twrp athene
3. Backup partitons in TWRP (especially the boot-partition)
4. Flash Kernel ElementalX through TWRP. Download and further information: ElementalX
5. Wipe Cache and ART-Cache through TWRP (don't know if necessary but doesn't harm)
6. Flash SuperSU v2.79 SR3 through TWRP. Download SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip: SuperSUv2.79SR3.
SuperSU v2.79 SR3 (or newer) will flash as systemless by default on Motorola devices running Android 6+. Older versions of SuperSU won't do that without creating a config file .supersu in /data containing the line
Code:
SYSTEMLESS=true
So the best is to make sure you don't use an older version of SuperSU than 2.79 SR3!

That's it and it works. SuperSU.apk is going to be installed in step 6.

Successfully tested with XT1642, XT1622 (eta82), XT1643 (Adarsh balu), XT1644 (WTF?), XT1641 (EkisDeMX).
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to disguisedview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift disguisedview Ad-Free
11th April 2017, 05:11 PM |#2  
Flag Shimla
Thanks Meter: 3,576

Donate to Me
More
It's the same old guide man. Please see before posting if similar threads exist. XDA is getting confusing for the common non-techie person anyways.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rajatgupta1998 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rajatgupta1998 Ad-Free
11th April 2017, 10:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Talking
Works perfect on Moto g4 (XT1622)
12th April 2017, 06:37 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I've tried to install SuperSU before and it didn't work on my device XT1640. I've got a bootloop and had to flash stock ROM (now I'm using another supersu). Does it really work now? Cuz I don't want to get a bootloop again and lose all my data.
12th April 2017, 11:36 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Nürnberg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex5er

I've tried to install SuperSU before and it didn't work on my device XT1640. I've got a bootloop and had to flash stock ROM (now I'm using another supersu). Does it really work now? Cuz I don't want to get a bootloop again and lose all my data.

You have to use SuperSU v2.79 SR3. If you use any older version, it won't install systemless and causes bootloops.
Which version of SuperSU did you flash?

And you have to flash ElementalX kernel before installing SuperSU. Otherwise you will get bootloop too.
12th April 2017, 11:39 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Nürnberg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywinlannister7

It's the same old guide man. Please see before posting if similar threads exist. XDA is getting confusing for the common non-techie person anyways.

Didn't find any thread which describes the method rooting with SuperSU in the first post and as its topic.
In some threads (with other topics like how to root with phh's SuperUser) there is in the discussion mentioned this method with SuperSU but nobody will ever find these posts...
12th April 2017, 08:14 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by disguisedview

You have to use SuperSU v2.79 SR3. If you use any older version, it won't install systemless and causes bootloops.
Which version of SuperSU did you flash?

And you have to flash ElementalX kernel before installing SuperSU. Otherwise you will get bootloop too.

I've installed ElementalX Kernel first then I installed SuperSU and I've got a bootloop. I used SuperSU v2.62 and got a bootloop, then I tried with SuperSU v2.74 and also got a bootloop.
13th April 2017, 05:58 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Nürnberg

More
Quote:

I've installed ElementalX Kernel first then I installed SuperSU and I've got a bootloop. I used SuperSU v2.62 and got a bootloop, then I tried with SuperSU v2.74 and also got a bootloop.

Ok, seems to be the reason. You have to use version 2.79 SR3 or newer if available.
Otherwise it won't work without further modification...
The Following User Says Thank You to disguisedview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift disguisedview Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 03:47 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by disguisedview

Ok, seems to be the reason. You have to use version 2.79 SR3 or newer if available.
Otherwise it won't work without further modification...

Alright, is there any problem if I unroot my device with this supersu and root again with the SuperSU that you said, will I get any problem? Do I have to reinstall ElementalX Kernel and twrp again?
13th April 2017, 04:18 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Nürnberg

More
Quote:

Alright, is there any problem if I unroot my device with this supersu and root again with the SuperSU that you said, will I get any problem? Do I have to reinstall ElementalX Kernel and twrp again?

I don't know. If you have backup of your partitions then flash your original system and boot partition and start from beginning (ElementalX and then SuperSU 2.79 SR3).
If you don't have backups then download (here on xda or somewhere else) stock firmware and flash system und boot partition.
The Following User Says Thank You to disguisedview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift disguisedview Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 08:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am currently using the resurrection remix ROM on my moto g4 plus....and my turbo charging is not working...is there anything that I can do to fix this
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto g4, moto g4 plus, root, supersu, xt1642

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)