[GUIDE] Sideloading Nougat on your G4+, from any firmware version. (e.g MPJ24.139-48)

Search This thread

krispyfriez

Aug 6, 2013
NO PC REQUIRED AT ALL FOR THIS TUTORIAL!

READ ME: I am not responsible for bricked/damaged devices from following this procedure. It should be safe, if done right on the supported models. This does not void your warranty, but it is soak test firmware, meaning that it is beta software, and might have bugs/issues. I haven't noticed any myself, however.
Alright, I am aware that there are already videos describing how to install Nougat, but this is a (fairly) easy to follow text tutorial.
Step 1: Make sure your running the latest Marshmallow.
Before you can install the Nougat update, you have to make sure that you are running the latest Marshmallow firmware for your device. If your phone is running the MPJ24.139-63 firmware, you are good to go. Anything lower, and you will have to update your firmware, either manually, or through the OTA checker.
UPDATE: Download this file and flash it in recovery the same way that you install Nougat, to update to the latest Marshmallow firmware, if you are on anything lower than MPJ24.139-63: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=mkUs&id=0BzpjDRtfDv8PdER0cml3VzRHZTA
Step 2: Download the Nougat OTA File.
Follow this link to download the Nougat OTA file: http://downloadmirror.co/Uq5/Blur_Version.24.31.64.athene.retail.en.US.zip
Step 3: Boot into Recovery.
You have to boot into recovery to sideload this OTA file. First, power off the device completely. When it is completely powered down, hold the Volume Down button, and then the power button, not letting go of either button, until an Android appears, with a bunch of text. You are now in Fastboot Mode. Press the Volume Down button until you see Recovery Mode, then hit the power button.
Step 4: Install.
Once you are in Recovery, you may see an Android logo again, with the text "No Command" below it. What you need to do here is hold the power button, and whilst holding the power button, press Volume Up, to access the menu. It is easy from here. You need to select the option to install update from SD Card, using the Volume buttons for navigation, and Power to select. From there, you find where you downloaded the BLUR_VERSION.24.31.64.ATHENE.RETAIL.EN.US.ZIP file, and select it. It will start installing the official Nougat OTA. Give it some time, upwards of 15 minutes to install. Once it has complete, simply select the Reboot system now option, and if all went well, you should see the "Android is upgrading" screen, and now you are running official Nougat soak test on your G4.
NOTES - The install may hang on the "Patching system image after verification." message. Give it around 5-10 minutes, it will eventually pass that stage.
I can't guarantee that this method will work on all G4 variants. I can confirm it works on a UK Retail XT1622, however.
This may make it harder to install the stable official Nougat when that releases worldwide, I am not sure yet if it affects the upgrade path to the stable firmware.
KNOWN ISSUES
I actually have not found any issues with this firmware yet, it appears VERY stable for a soak test build. If you have come across any, or need help, comment below.
COMPATIBLE MODELS
These models have said to have had success with this update.
XT1643 - Moto G4 Plus Dual-SIM (India)
XT1640 - Moto G4 Plus Dual-SIM (Brazil)
XT1642 - Moto G4 Plus
XT1622 - Moto G4
XT1626 - Moto G4 (India)

stehaworth

Mar 6, 2013
Cambridge
@LoopingCreeper is your 1622 a single sim? I have a 1622 single sim from tesco and I haven't received the 6.0.1 ota to 139-63 probably cause I'm not on the retgb software channel. Did you get the ota pushed to your phone ?

Fir3lordZuk0

Oct 10, 2015
Bangalore
Google Pixel 6
when i try to apply update from SD, m getting error 'internal and extenal memory not found'..i tried mounting SD card but i am still geting this error. how to resolve this error?
Is there any other way to install this update on my device.

caiotmoraes

Nov 30, 2012
I am from Brazil and am currently using 139-50 version of firmware...
I cant update to 139-63 with the method describe, when trying to update the zip file to MM 63 i get a message saying that expected version should be 139-23.

Anyway to upgrade to 139-63 from 139-50? No ota available.

Thanks guys

chromedome00

Apr 22, 2011

READ ME: I am not responsible for bricked/damaged devices from following this procedure. It should be safe, if done right on the supported models. This does not void your warranty, but it is soak test firmware, meaning that it is beta software, and might have bugs/issues. I haven't noticed any myself, however.
Alright, I am aware that there are already videos describing how to install Nougat, but this is a (fairly) easy to follow text tutorial.

)

Actually, according to motorola, the first part is not true. Flashing an ota zip file will void your warranty. That is the official motorola answer. Especially for unreleased software.

You may not like it or agree, but they have stated this many times in the past

I prefer to wait for the final version.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirtbhopal

rd_01

Jan 8, 2013
Leticia
I cannot upgrade to the latest MM. It asks me for the firmware version 139-23.4 and I'm on 23.2 (XT1641, retca). is there another package to upgrade? Thanks.

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I am from Brazil and am currently using 139-50 version of firmware...
I cant update to 139-63 with the method describe, when trying to update the zip file to MM 63 i get a message saying that expected version should be 139-23.

Anyway to upgrade to 139-63 from 139-50? No ota available.

Thanks guys
Did you found a solution?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

All the screenshots I took when my G4 Plus got into Nougat from side loading. So far, no bugs and it's extremely smooth. No lag or performance issues so far.

EDIT: I have more screenshots. If you want em, tell me and I'll post it. These are the last screenshots you'll see of the Stock Rom from me, I'm going to Resurrection Remix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161207-201021.jpg
    Screenshot_20161207-201021.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Screenshot_20161207-201445.png
    Screenshot_20161207-201445.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Screenshot_20161207-201449.png
    Screenshot_20161207-201449.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Screenshot_20161207-201453.png
    Screenshot_20161207-201453.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 455
  • Screenshot_20161207-201522.png
    Screenshot_20161207-201522.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 414
  • Screenshot_20161207-212407.png
    Screenshot_20161207-212407.png
    40 KB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot_20161207-214815.png
    Screenshot_20161207-214815.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Reactions: nelsonw

dvd2590

Dec 26, 2016
Verifying update package Moto G4 Plus

Hey, my phone has been Verifying update package for 6 hours by now, do you have any idea what I can do, because I am afraid I broke it?

Thanks

I have the same issue for almost 5 hours, how long did it take for it to start working for you?
I hope you know something because I 'm afraid I broke it.

Thanks already

Hey, my phone has been Verifying update package for 6 hours by now, do you have any idea what I can do, because I am afraid I broke it?

Thanks

Ok, so after 1 hours, I just abruptedly restarted my phone and waited 10 more minutes, and it finished up. It actaully works. I'm not sure what's going on in the background...

LipsumX

Dec 30, 2016
MPJ24.139-63 provided link is broken

I have the xt1641 and I'm on MPJ24.139-23.4
Does someone know where can I download the file to install MPJ24.139-63 ???
Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1: Make sure your running the latest Marshmallow.
    Before you can install the Nougat update, you have to make sure that you are running the latest Marshmallow firmware for your device. If your phone is running the MPJ24.139-63 firmware, you are good to go. Anything lower, and you will have to update your firmware, either manually, or through the OTA checker.
    UPDATE: Download this file and flash it in recovery the same way that you install Nougat, to update to the latest Marshmallow firmware, if you are on anything lower than MPJ24.139-63: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=mkUs&id=0BzpjDRtfDv8PdER0cml3VzRHZTA
    Step 2: Download the Nougat OTA File.
    Follow this link to download the Nougat OTA file: http://downloadmirror.co/Uq5/Blur_Version.24.31.64.athene.retail.en.US.zip
    Step 3: Boot into Recovery.
    You have to boot into recovery to sideload this OTA file. First, power off the device completely. When it is completely powered down, hold the Volume Down button, and then the power button, not letting go of either button, until an Android appears, with a bunch of text. You are now in Fastboot Mode. Press the Volume Down button until you see Recovery Mode, then hit the power button.
    Step 4: Install.
    Once you are in Recovery, you may see an Android logo again, with the text "No Command" below it. What you need to do here is hold the power button, and whilst holding the power button, press Volume Up, to access the menu. It is easy from here. You need to select the option to install update from SD Card, using the Volume buttons for navigation, and Power to select. From there, you find where you downloaded the BLUR_VERSION.24.31.64.ATHENE.RETAIL.EN.US.ZIP file, and select it. It will start installing the official Nougat OTA. Give it some time, upwards of 15 minutes to install. Once it has complete, simply select the Reboot system now option, and if all went well, you should see the "Android is upgrading" screen, and now you are running official Nougat soak test on your G4.
    NOTES - The install may hang on the "Patching system image after verification." message. Give it around 5-10 minutes, it will eventually pass that stage.
    I can't guarantee that this method will work on all G4 variants. I can confirm it works on a UK Retail XT1622, however.
    This may make it harder to install the stable official Nougat when that releases worldwide, I am not sure yet if it affects the upgrade path to the stable firmware.
    KNOWN ISSUES
    I actually have not found any issues with this firmware yet, it appears VERY stable for a soak test build. If you have come across any, or need help, comment below.
    COMPATIBLE MODELS
    These models have said to have had success with this update.
    XT1643 - Moto G4 Plus Dual-SIM (India)
    XT1640 - Moto G4 Plus Dual-SIM (Brazil)
    XT1642 - Moto G4 Plus
    XT1622 - Moto G4
    XT1626 - Moto G4 (India)

)

Actually, according to motorola, the first part is not true. Flashing an ota zip file will void your warranty. That is the official motorola answer. Especially for unreleased software.

You may not like it or agree, but they have stated this many times in the past

I prefer to wait for the final version.
    All the screenshots I took when my G4 Plus got into Nougat from side loading. So far, no bugs and it's extremely smooth. No lag or performance issues so far.

EDIT: I have more screenshots. If you want em, tell me and I'll post it. These are the last screenshots you'll see of the Stock Rom from me, I'm going to Resurrection Remix.