i want to share a rooting method for Android 6.0 with SuperSu 2.78.
It's tested on my XT1642 and on XT1622, XT1625, XT1640, XT1643, XT1644 from other users.
I am not responsible for any damage or failure on your smartphone.
Minimal ADB & Fastboot
TWRP - Custom Recovery
Guide to remove "unlocked bootloaderwarning" - use the "V2" version.
You want to install a OTA-Update after Rooting? -> [GUIDE] Sucsessful OTA-Update after Rooting
1. Unlock your Bootloader:
Follow this Link
2a. Connect your phone to your computer and boot into TWRP:
fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img
For rooting your Moto G it is not necessary to flash TWRP!
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img
3. Make a backup of your unmodified system:
TWRP -> Backup -> Select all Partitions -> Swipe to Backup
4. Save your Backup on your computer or somewhere else
5. Write a ".supersu" file for systemless rooting:
TWRP -> Advanced -> Terminal -> Type the follow code:
echo "SYSTEMLESS=true" > /data/.supersu
6. Make sure the .supersu file is in /data.
TWRP -> Advanced -> File Manager -> /data
7. Install SuperSU.zip
TWRP -> Install -> SuperSU-v2.78.zip
8. Reboot your Moto G4
If something went wrong while flashing SuperSU, you can always restore your backup with booting into TWRP.
I hope someone can confirm this method on other versions of the G4 (Plus).
Updating SuperSU without TWRP (or a PC) via FlashFire
For updating SuperSU you can wait till the new versions hits the Play Store or you can flash it via FlashFire when you didn't flash TWRP permanetly.
1. Install FlashFire:
Play Store: FlashFire by Chainfire
2. Download lastest SuperSU.zip:
3. Start FlashFire and add "Flash ZIP or OTA":
4. Disable "Mount /system read/write" checkbox:
5. Disable all "Ever Root" options and hit the "Flash" Button:
1. You can update the SuperSU app via Play Store to 2.76 and let it update the binary's.
2. The first step is now "Unlock your Bootloader", for everyone that are unable to follow instructions properly and stuck on booting up into TWRP with an locked Bootloader.
3. Updated to SuperSU 2.78.
4. New guide for removing "unlocked bootloaderwarning", without the visable "N/A:" in the logo.
5. Added guide for Updating SuperSU via FlashFire without TWRP.
6. Updated pictures in the thread.
7. New GUIDE for install OTA-Updates after rooting.