[ROOT][GUIDE][only 6.0.1] Systemless Rooting with SuperSU 2.78

Search This thread

dempixels

Dec 9, 2016
well.. it did not root my moto X play XT1562.

I followed every step. it did boot, but it did not give me root permissions. somehow.
this so far is the only method not causing my device to soft-brick

should I try again?

oh and I am a noob so I am gonna ask this ultimately stupid question (man, I sound like an asshole):
if the device soft-bricks, and I have the backup. how do I use the backup to recover my previous installation?

Florensie

Sep 20, 2015
Now my IMEI doesn't show up anymore, my SIM isn't found, I can't find any networks, my IP address is gone, my mac address is reset. Do I restore the backup? Should have been clearer that it's for marshmellow only.

EDIT: I restored my backup and it's fine now. But I sure did almost have a heart attack.

Last edited:

magnum73

Mar 15, 2010
Xiaomi 11T Pro
A quick question...
Can I safely update supersu app from the google play, if I have it systemless installed, together with suhide ? I have a oneplus 3.

Bender1987

Sep 27, 2014
@magnum73
Sure you can, but no idea if suhide make some problems together.
@Florensie
I do not believe you can stop other users to doing something stupid if they do not read the whole text. It's like reading terms and conditions, nobody do that xD

Reactions: toppits

calinb7

Oct 13, 2016
Seems to work on my Moto G4 Plus

SKU: XT1644
Android: 6.0.1
M8952_70009.08.03.45R ATHENE_RETUSA_CUST
Kernel version: 3.10.84-g061c37c
SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031

One strange thing happened after I loaded the TWRP image and made a backup (but before I installed SuperSU using the method here).

After the full backup, my 64GB Amplin micro-SD card stopped working as "internal" storage. I told Android to "forget" the card and I tried again but I cannot get the system to accept the SD card as "internal" storage. It always gets stuck at 30% for a very long time and, upon reboot, 10 hours later, reports a corrupted card.

It does work as "Portable storage" but I don't think that requires a full format (it "formats" too fast to be full) and is probably unreliable as Portable storage too.

Any thoughts on this? Do you guys agree that the failure is probably just a coincidence with unlocking the boot loader and loading the TWRP .img file to make a backup?

Do you think I best get a new micro-SD card? What brand is reliable in these phones?

One other thing....gMTP (running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) normally works bi-directionally with my phone but it only works to download files from my Moto G4 Plus to my Ubuntu system when TWRP is booted. I cannot transfer files from my Ubuntu system to the Moto G4 Plus when the TWRP image file is booted. Is this normal? It might make recovery from a soft brick iffy! I still need to get an OTG cable and try file transfers directly to a disk drive or flash memory. I guess I should post this question on a TWRP thread somewhere, but it was a bit of a surprise in the process here (the example here used OTG, which I could not do without a cable).

dsmid

Aug 15, 2015
[HELP] TWRP system backup for XT1642 DualSIM UK

I've made a huge mistake.
I created a system backup in TWRP before rooting as recommended but later when I wanted to move the backup to my PC, I accidentally deleted it instead.
Meanwhile I've installed ElementalX to my system partition and thus I have no chance to get the next OTA.

Does anybody have by chance a TWRP backup of MotoG Plus XT1642 DualSIM UK (preferably MPJ24.139-63) system partition ?
I think it doesn't have to be a phone from the UK, it should be the same in all of Europe.
Baseband version: M8952_70009.08.03.48R ATHENE_EMEA_DSDS_CUST

Shahbaz23

Jul 7, 2014
Jamshedpur
@Bender1987 After reading all the 22 pages of this thread, I am sure that this is a full proof thread to root the device. However before rooting my device, I would like to know if Xposed works perfectly or not (some users have confirmed it, still want to know from the OP himself :p ). Also my primary motive for rooting my device is to install adfree or adaway (to block the ads), which in itself modifies the system (hosts file), hence I would like to know if after rooting can i safely proceed for the said app. Thanks in advance :)

toppits

May 15, 2012
Can't say anything about Xposed, but adaway v3.2 supports systemless root. I got root with this method and systemless adaway so I'll be able to get OTA-Updates. Works fine :)

Reactions: Shahbaz23

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    i want to share a rooting method for Android 6.0 with SuperSu 2.78.
    It's tested on my XT1642 and on XT1622, XT1625, XT1640, XT1643, XT1644 from other users.

I am not responsible for any damage or failure on your smartphone.

Requirements:
    Unmodified System
    Unlocked Bootloader
    Minimal ADB & Fastboot
    Motorola Drivers
    TWRP - Custom Recovery
    SuperSU-v2.78-SR1

Optional:
    Guide to remove "unlocked bootloaderwarning" - use the "V2" version.
    You want to install a OTA-Update after Rooting? -> [GUIDE] Sucsessful OTA-Update after Rooting

1. Unlock your Bootloader:
    Follow this Link

2a. Connect your phone to your computer and boot into TWRP:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img

2b. If you want to flash TWRP you can use the follow code. But then you can't install OTA-Updates without flashing stock recovery again.
    For rooting your Moto G it is not necessary to flash TWRP!

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-athene.img

3. Make a backup of your unmodified system:
    TWRP -> Backup -> Select all Partitions -> Swipe to Backup
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

4. Save your Backup on your computer or somewhere else

5. Write a ".supersu" file for systemless rooting:
    TWRP -> Advanced -> Terminal -> Type the follow code:
    Code:
    echo "SYSTEMLESS=true" > /data/.supersu
    attachment.php

6. Make sure the .supersu file is in /data.
    TWRP -> Advanced -> File Manager -> /data
    attachment.php

7. Install SuperSU.zip
    TWRP -> Install -> SuperSU-v2.78.zip
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

8. Reboot your Moto G4 :)
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

If something went wrong while flashing SuperSU, you can always restore your backup with booting into TWRP.
    I hope someone can confirm this method on other versions of the G4 (Plus).

Updating SuperSU without TWRP (or a PC) via FlashFire
    For updating SuperSU you can wait till the new versions hits the Play Store or you can flash it via FlashFire when you didn't flash TWRP permanetly.

1. Install FlashFire:
    Play Store: FlashFire by Chainfire

2. Download lastest SuperSU.zip:
    http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

3. Start FlashFire and add "Flash ZIP or OTA":
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

4. Disable "Mount /system read/write" checkbox:
    attachment.php

5. Disable all "Ever Root" options and hit the "Flash" Button:
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

Changelog:
    1. You can update the SuperSU app via Play Store to 2.76 and let it update the binary's.
    2. The first step is now "Unlock your Bootloader", for everyone that are unable to follow instructions properly and stuck on booting up into TWRP with an locked Bootloader.
    3. Updated to SuperSU 2.78.
    4. New guide for removing "unlocked bootloaderwarning", without the visable "N/A:" in the logo.
    5. Added guide for Updating SuperSU via FlashFire without TWRP.
    6. Updated pictures in the thread.
    7. New GUIDE for install OTA-Updates after rooting.
    This guide is only for 6.0.1, it's not for 7.0+.

I sold my G4 Plus, so I am not able to try these method on 7.0.
    * * * Thread Cleaned * * *

Listen folks, this thread is ONLY for Android 6.x (Marshmallow).

The OP states:

"Hi,
    i want to share a rooting method for Android 6.0 with SuperSu 2.78."

All questions regarding Android 7xx (Nougat) need to be asked in an Android 7.x (NOUGAT) thread.

Let's keep the comments ON-TOPIC about rooting MM ask the OP states.

Your cooperation is appreciated.
    Nope, everything works perfect.
    @MadGoat
    Have you make a backup of your system via TWRP? Try to restore it.

Make sure the .supersu file is in /data.
    Boot into TWRP and go -> Advanced -> File Manager -> /data
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3811268&stc=1&d=1468388553