[GUIDE][XT1643][XT1640][XT1626] How to update to Nougat [Athene][stock][Android N]

Search This thread

==vj==

Jan 19, 2013
Goa
I've updated to this build of nougat. But my battery drains like hell... It's like 10% on standby just with LTE on in 1hr. I even did a factory reset and cache wipe from recovery. It's a fully clean ROM. Still battery is draining a lot.!!

I was estimating as for why someone didn't come up with feedback on battery backup after nougat update.
Yes, the backup feels quite less than stock mm. Maybe the final rollout be a stable one w.r.t backup.

Frankly nothing so very exciting in nougat. Battery graph is looking awkward. But the settings looks amazing with live details.

ssmcrak

Mar 7, 2013
I was estimating as for why someone didn't come up with feedback on battery backup after nougat update.
Yes, the backup feels quite less than stock mm. Maybe the final rollout be a stable one w.r.t backup.

Frankly nothing so very exciting in nougat. Battery graph is looking awkward. But the settings looks amazing with live details.

Yeah, you could brag about it that apart from the pixel and Nexus devices yours is the one with Nougat. But other than that, there's nothing much. I can see memory usage improvements and overall UI is smooth plus other sweets of nougat, but the primary consideration being power usage is a lot. Plus now I'm worried that I'll be getting the official OTA or not :confused:

chaitu@95

Oct 22, 2016
@Xatt
O, wow... I'm on Vanir ROM. Guess I'm even further out of the official upgrade path!
Come on Matt! This is XDA! This is is what we love to do here. We help each other! Don't underestimate the XDA users. If we want to be in the official upgrade path, we know how to do it.
And yes, I know about upgraded bootloaders and using 'old' official software and then being able to hardbrick a phone while doing an official OTA!

Send with my Moto G4 Plus (XT1642) on Vanir ROM using Tapatalk!

can you tell me how to revert back to mm?

Oct 22, 2016
"Internal storage and External Storage cannot be Mounted in Recovery Mode"

First of all thanks for posting the OTA update link! Just Updated my phone and i wanted to enable Google assistant without rooting my phone. So, i downloaded Google velvet, Prop.editor and tweak file zips to flash them, but the problem is G4 plus is not detecting internal and external storage in recovery mode :( :confused:

smitharro

Jan 2, 2012
Blokker
can you tell me how to revert back to mm?
In theory: flash back your TWRP backup... But I guess you didn't make a backup!
Download the original MM rom. Use the fastboot steps to install it again.
Another theory: it refuses to flash back because it's a 'downgrade', which is, officially, not possible. In that case: install TWRP recovery, flash CM13 or any other MM rom, and use it. Otherwise, now you can flash stock MM rom again!
One little catch however: Nougat may have upgraded your bootloader. If you have downgraded your rom and try to do an OTA update again, it expects another bootloader.
On Moto G 2014 (which shipped with KitKat), downgrading to KitKat worked fine. But performing an OTA to Lollipop again, after that, resulted in a hardbrick! Just be warned!!

Last edited:

chaitu@95

Oct 22, 2016
In theory: flash back your TWRP backup... But I guess you didn't make a backup!
Download the original MM rom. Use the fastboot steps to install it again.
Another theory: it refuses to flash back because it's a 'downgrade', which is, officially, not possible. In that case: install TWRP recovery, flash CM13 or any other MM rom, and use it. Otherwise, now you can flash stock MM rom again!
One little catch however: Nougat may have upgraded your bootloader. If you have downgraded your rom and try to do an OTA update again, it expects another bootloader.
On Moto G 2014 (which shipped with KitKat), downgrading to KitKat worked fine. But performing an OTA to Lollipop again, after that, resulted in a hardbrick! Just be warned!!

its not downgrading when i use the fastboot method ill try twrp,thank you

smitharro

Jan 2, 2012
Blokker
if i downgrade do i have to use fastboot method evrytime insted of otas?
No, if you successfully downgrade to the official stock rom again, you should be able to use OTA's again. Only if an OTA updates the BOOTLOADER also, you can possibly run into problems if you downgrade to a build from before the bootloader upgrade. It is, as far as I know, impossible to downgrade a bootloader! But possibly this Nougat upgrade only updated the rom and not the bootloader.
But that's just a guess. I didn't try, nor check it, it on this device. It's just a warning. Be careful!
In your shoes, I'd stay on N, until a public official build is released. In that case there's always a way to install that!

Reactions: violet.tester128

kittuboy

Aug 31, 2012
Bangalore
As soon as I got the news that the ZIP file was out, I downloaded it and now I'm running the updated version. Smooth as hell, and I'm still learning my way around the greatly improved UI.
Battery life is somewhat confusing though. If I use the phone continuously for a few minutes, battery drains surprisingly fast - much faster than it used to with 6.0.1. (Note: I had not rooted or otherwise tweaked the system in any way earlier!)
Anyway, I'm guessing it's just normal usage and some weird bias. It's too early to tell how good battery life is, but I have my fingers crossed.

<clipped>
Much Appreciated! :)

Sorry for off-topic; I couldn't help asking - what's that app you're using for the weather displayed in the notification pulldown? I'd like to download it as well. Thanks!

Reactions: jyoti.id

veezybaybee

Apr 24, 2014
Ahmedabad
As soon as I got the news that the ZIP file was out, I downloaded it and now I'm running the updated version. Smooth as hell, and I'm still learning my way around the greatly improved UI.
Battery life is somewhat confusing though. If I use the phone continuously for a few minutes, battery drains surprisingly fast - much faster than it used to with 6.0.1. (Note: I had not rooted or otherwise tweaked the system in any way earlier!)
Anyway, I'm guessing it's just normal usage and some weird bias. It's too early to tell how good battery life is, but I have my fingers crossed.

Sorry for off-topic; I couldn't help asking - what's that app you're using for the weather displayed in the notification pulldown? I'd like to download it as well. Thanks!

Its Accuweather! Once installed, go to settings and enable the "on-going notifications" and set it to" current condition". Its simple, accurate and looks good with the new notification panel of nougat! :)

Reactions: kittuboy

jyoti.id

Sep 7, 2015
Kolaghat
Realme 3 Pro

Agree with you. I also think that this is normal after a new room installed every time. So need to tweak the system first & use it for atleast 2-3 days to get stabilized & have good battery backup :)

Last edited:

Fir3lordZuk0

Oct 10, 2015
Bangalore
Google Pixel 6
First of all thanks for posting the OTA update link! Just Updated my phone and i wanted to enable Google assistant without rooting my phone. So, i downloaded Google velvet, Prop.editor and tweak file zips to flash them, but the problem is G4 plus is not detecting internal and external storage in recovery mode :( :confused:

I am getting same error in recovery mode when trying to apply update from SD card. I have not done any tweaks.
@rahulsnair @Silesh.Nair help please

freeman_g

Oct 18, 2009
Just a quick question: after update bootloader can't be downgraded through fastboot even if it is unlocked?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Much Awaited Nougat for Moto G4 Plus

How to Install
    Requirements:

1. need to be in stock rom with latest marshmallow update.(build ending in 139-63)
    2. Patience

Steps :

1. Copy the zip file to internal memory
    2. Reboot to Recovery(Stock recovery.. Wont work with TWRP)
    3. Select Apply update from SdCard
    4. Choose the zip file and wait for 20 minutes.
    5. Reboot and enjoy

Download from here
    mirror thankz to @Shreps
    mirror thankz to @Hari haran

Note : If you have modified system or old marshamallow go here and do whats needed. After doing that do the steps written here..

A big thankz to @rahuldude0504 for pulling this ota

This will work only in XT1643 XT1640 XT1642 XT1622 and XT1626
    Can you please share the SS after updating?
    We can use fingerprint to lock the screen now
    Works like a charm!

I was literally perplexed by people talking about soak tests n stuffs. It's already october and I couldn't wait any longer to taste the Nougat. I did confirmed that Moto G4 Plus would be getting the update by Q4 of 2016 but come on, how long should a person wait when all the Nexus folks out there are trying their hands on the latest Android 7.1 for god sake!

It was until today morning, I found this post and was shocked to see a way of upgrading without waiting for the so called OTA. Now, me being a Nair, felt a brother vibe after seeing that this was posted by another Nair. Well, it's a mallu thing you know! :cool:

I gave it a try and VOILA! It works and my Moto G4 Plus is running the all new Android 7 now. The only tricky part is when it was trying to patch the system image as it took way beyond 10 minutes for me. I almost thought that my phone was bricked for a moment but like the post said, the 2nd thing you need for this manual update is patience! ;)

I am immensely grateful to both the Rahuls! :highfive:
    You guys surely made my day. Thanks a bunch n keep up the good work! :good:
    Much Appreciated! :)
    In a way you're right, in another way you're not. If you point it like that, we also can't run CyanogenMod or any other legitimate custom roms anymore. I've been doing that for years now without any significant problems!
    Most XDA people know the risks they take and are very aware of them! These things are a hobby for me, and if there are problems (read: bugs) it's a sport to solve them! I want to see more of the Android world than just a (forgive my words) boring stock rom, that gets updated 2 or 3 times and then becomes officially 'abandoned'.

Send with my Moto G4 Plus (XT1642) on Android 7.0 using Tapatalk!

Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply that CyangenMod or other committed people or groups couldn't make solid software. I was speaking specifically about this particular ROM.

It can be boring, but we have to be responsible for the software for hundreds of thousands and millions of devices, for people who are not in the least technical. It's a different task.

I have zero objections to people modifying software -- heck, I'm delighted that there are people enthusiastic about this stuff -- as long as they take responsibility for their actions. That sounds like you.
    You Guys are like little kids when they hear the music from ice cream man: "WE. MUST. GET. DELICIOUS. NOUGAT!!!" xD xD xD

What if you get the soak test and find a bug? You are able to report it?
    What if you break your phone with the update? Will you open like 50 new threads with "bootloop, what now? :(" and "how to restore stock"?

Calm down a bit and read twice before you install some OTA-Updates or flash something.
    There are so many users with problems caused by not able to follow or read simple instructions.