[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][Sanders] TWRP-3.2.1-r20 (64bit Supported!)

Search This thread

CheckYourScreen

Sep 19, 2012
Delhi
Unofficial TWRP for Moto G5S Plus (Sanders)​

Additional Features over Official TWRP:
  • Supports flashing of both 32bit and 64bit ROMs and Kernels.
  • OREO Images/ROMs support.
  • Decryption and Encryption support.
  • No SuperSU by default.
  • No TWRP app.
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft.
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption).
  • NTFS support(Both Read and Write).
  • Covers more partitions for nandroid backup (OEM, FSG and FSC).
  • Experimental support for SD cards that are partitioned for partial adopted storage and partial removable storage.
  • Faster I/O performance.
  • Fixed Gapps/aroma freeze issues.

IMPORTANT!!! : READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO FLASHING PROCESS..!!

• At first boot twrp will ask for "Swipe to allow modifications for /system" and if you choose to allow it system partition will get modified. So if you choose to reboot back to OS without performing anything in twrp, the OS won't boot (as verity check is enabled in stock OS/kernel) . To avoid this you have to flash either Magisk or flash any of the verity disabler zips available on xda.
  • Force encryption is enabled by default in stock OS and twrp will successfully decrypt /data at first boot if all goes well
  • If in case decryption doesn't go fine, twrp will popup a dialog box asking for password and that means decryption went wrong and you would need to wipe data once via twrp wipe options and reboot back to twrp for functioning of /data

Flashing Instructions:

Using Existing TWRP:
Reboot to recovery > Click on Install > Install Image > recovery > select recovery image and flash > reboot to recovery

Other Methods(Fastboot) :
  • Make sure you have unlocked bootloader
  • Reboot to bootloader
  • Enter following command in terminal: fastboot flash recovery twrp-****.img (if you want permanent flash) or fastboot boot twrp-****.img (if you want temporary boot)

Incase your device is encrypted (while coming from stock rom), Follow these steps to decrypt:
Reboot to recovery > cancel the password prompt > mount all partitions > Format Data/Userdata (on f2fs) > Reboot Recovery > Mount all partitions again > Flash Magisk > Reboot

Now you are free to use Stock ROM (Decrypted) or Flash any custom rom you want. :)

Download Links: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=216298

TWRP Themes: Check 3rd post

Known Issues: None || Report if you find any.

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][Sanders] TWRP-3.2.1-r20 (64bit Supported!), Tool/Utility for the Moto G5S Plus

Contributors
CheckYourScreen
Source Code: https://github.com/CheckYourScreen/twrp_device_motorola_sanders

Version Information
Current Stable Version: r20
Stable Release Date: 2018-04-04

Created 2017-10-26
Last Updated 2018-04-04

CheckYourScreen

Sep 19, 2012
Delhi
|| Changelog ||

r20:
  • Fixed Encryption support on custom roms.
  • Updated kernel
  • Updated build fingerprint for latest bootloader support.
  • Reverted pigz changes.
  • Switched back to original twrp themes. (TWRP Themes can be found in 3rd post )
  • Various bug fixes and improvements.
r16:
  • Fixed compatibility with New Bootloader (C2.07-December patch)
  • Merged october patches in kernel.
  • Various twrp upstream patches and fixes.
  • Fixed remote wipe process (Earlier remote wipe issued from play account wasnt processed due to twrp)
r15:
  • Added 64bit Support (You can flash both 32bit/64bit roms or kernels with it).
  • Fixed Encryption Support! (No need to format data to decrypt and mount).
  • Updated to 3.2.1 upstream changes with full oreo support.
  • Remove android reboot during password check on multiple wrong inputs.

r9:
  • Fixed F2FS mount issues(You can flash magisk modules or SuperSu now).
  • Enabled NTFS Write Support (You can make backups on sdcard/pendrives formatted on NTFS).
  • Fixed size of various partitions.
  • Switched to LZMA compression to decrease size.

r7: Initial Public Release

Last edited:

Ae3NerdGod

Apr 27, 2014
this seems to suffer from the same thing the stock rom/kernel suffers from, the weird f2fs bug that makes certain mounts fail. geneticengineer has shared a kernel that fixes this in stock rom , maybe you could get in touch with him about how he updated f2fs

revengineer

Oct 4, 2009
But its for xt1806 only i think. Not real help. The most user here are outside usa.
Well my guess is that the kernel in the present twrp is from the -26 firmware posted in the other thread. That firmware was US Retail also. The OP in the other thread states in can be used on other models. But I am not going to tell you that because I do not know. I have not found any other firmware for the sanders model.

CheckYourScreen

Sep 19, 2012
Delhi
this seems to suffer from the same thing the stock rom/kernel suffers from, the weird f2fs bug that makes certain mounts fail. geneticengineer has shared a kernel that fixes this in stock rom , maybe you could get in touch with him about how he updated f2fs
Afaik it doesnt affect TWRP, you just need to be on a custom kernel if you are running stock rom.
Twrp has nothing to do with it.
If you face any problem flashing anything then post a screenshot or log. :)

Thank you for your work, this seems to work well on my device. If you would like to swap the kernel, I posted a newer firmware NPS26.116-45 here:https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74325160&postcount=33
But its for xt1806 only i think. Not real help. The most user here are outside usa.
Stock kernel is same in both the firmwares.
-45 is just for US variant, i dont recommend you to even flash that firmware on other variants.

Reactions: Schrotty35

Ae3NerdGod

Apr 27, 2014
Afaik it doesnt affect TWRP, you just need to be on a custom kernel if you are running stock rom.
Twrp has nothing to do with it.
If you face any problem flashing anything then post a screenshot or log.

but i have a custom stock kernel, and things that fail in TWRP work in flashfire or magiskmanager

its mostly magisk modules im having problems with, ill reproduce an error when i get the chance

CheckYourScreen

Sep 19, 2012
Delhi
but i have a custom stock kernel, and things that fail in TWRP work in flashfire or magiskmanager

its mostly magisk modules im having problems with, ill reproduce an error when i get the chance

Flash the magisk module via twrp > take screenshot when flashing completes > go to advance section of twrp and take recovery log > reboot system > send that screenshot and recovery log here.

Ae3NerdGod

Apr 27, 2014
Flash the magisk module via twrp > take screenshot when flashing completes > go to advance section of twrp and take recovery log > reboot system > send that screenshot and recovery log here.

will do, it happens with every magisk package i try. they used to fail in stock too till i used geneticengineers kernel from telegram now they work

didnt know you could screenshot in recovery, i assume its the same buttons

gewe

Dec 21, 2008
TWRP backup is frozen at 13% completed. The progress bar is still showing its animation.

I unlocked the bootloader, and then rebooted. Android came up with the language selection screen. I powered off, connected the phone to the PC, and booted into TWRP (not flashed yet):
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-sanders-r7.img
I did not let TWRP format /data.
Then I started a backup, selecting all partitions, so that I could always go back after flashing TWRP and Magisk.

Does anyone know why backup is stuck at 13%? Last log line says "Backing up System..."
I tapped "Cancel" after two hours. That stopped the progress bar animation, but not the backup itself.

BTW: I used TWRP from this thread, the one in another thread freezes at the TWRP boot logo.

Edit: after two hours I killed the backup by powering down (the only way it seemed). On retry it froze at 21%.

Edit 2: Retried, this time backing up everything except system. No problem. I then tried to backup system. Frozen at 1%. What is the problem here?

Edit 3: Finally, a complete backup of system! Only one to go: system_image. But unfortunately that froze at 0%. Every subsequent try freezes at 1666MB (40%). The card has over 30GB free. I tried backup to USB-OTG, but that also froze.

Last edited:

CheckYourScreen

Sep 19, 2012
Delhi
TWRP backup is frozen at 13% completed. The progress bar is still showing its animation.

I unlocked the bootloader, and then rebooted. Android came up with the language selection screen. I powered off, connected the phone to the PC, and booted into TWRP (not flashed yet):
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-sanders-r7.img
I did not let TWRP format /data.
Then I started a backup, selecting all partitions, so that I could always go back after flashing TWRP and Magisk.

Does anyone know why backup is stuck at 13%? Last log line says "Backing up System..."
I tapped "Cancel" after two hours. That stopped the progress bar animation, but not the backup itself.

BTW: I used TWRP from this thread, the one in another thread freezes at the TWRP boot logo.

Edit: after two hours I killed the backup by powering down (the only way it seemed). On retry it froze at 21%.

Edit 2: Retried, this time backing up everything except system. No problem. I then tried to backup system. Frozen at 1%. What is the problem here?

Edit 3: Finally, a complete backup of system! Only one to go: system_image. But unfortunately that froze at 0%. Every subsequent try freezes at 1666MB (40%). The card has over 30GB free. I tried backup to USB-OTG, but that also froze.

Might be due to data partition being encrypted, you cant write anything in it without decrypting it first.
Format data and reboot recovery, then make the backup. You can flash magisk after taking the backup.
Btw r9 new release on its way with some really important changes :)

gewe

Dec 21, 2008
Might be due to data partition being encrypted, you cant write anything in it without decrypting it first.
Format data and reboot recovery, then make the backup. You can flash magisk after taking the backup.
Btw r9 new release on its way with some really important changes :)
I was not trying to write the backup to the data partition, but to external SD card (tried OTG-USB as well without success).
I have flashed TWRP, formatted the data partition, and flashed Magisk. I have not tried to create a new backup yet. First I want to find out why Magisk does not pass the Safetynet check.
Can't wait to see what r9 brings. Thanks for your efforts. :good:

lilcdroid

Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
I was not trying to write the backup to the data partition, but to external SD card (tried OTG-USB as well without success).
I have flashed TWRP, formatted the data partition, and flashed Magisk. I have not tried to create a new backup yet. First I want to find out why Magisk does not pass the Safetynet check.
Can't wait to see what r9 brings. Thanks for your efforts. :good:
Magisk won't pass safety net with stock boot.img (kernel). Here is a modified kernel.
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=73930507

After flashing new kernel Magisk passes no problem.

Sent by way of magic

Last edited:

Brycearuuni

Dec 3, 2015
Magisk won't pass safety net with stock boot.img (kernel). Here is a modified kernel.
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=73930507

After flashing new kernel Magisk passes no problem.

Sent by way of magic
When I flash this my WiFi stops working completely. I'm running aosp extended rom. I'm not sure if I can achieve battery life as good as I can on the stock ROM as I can on this one so im not sure what I should do about that..

lilcdroid

Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
When I flash this my WiFi stops working completely. I'm running aosp extended rom. I'm not sure if I can achieve battery life as good as I can on the stock ROM as I can on this one so im not sure what I should do about that..
Sorry I wasn't aware you weren't still on stock. That kernel will only work on stock. I would verify with the maintainer of AOSP extended ROM that the kernel is patched to work with Magisk.

Sent by way of magic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial TWRP for Moto G5S Plus (Sanders)​

Additional Features over Official TWRP:
    • Supports flashing of both 32bit and 64bit ROMs and Kernels.
    • OREO Images/ROMs support.
    • Decryption and Encryption support.
    • No SuperSU by default.
    • No TWRP app.
    • No HTC Dumlock cruft.
    • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption).
    • NTFS support(Both Read and Write).
    • Covers more partitions for nandroid backup (OEM, FSG and FSC).
    • Experimental support for SD cards that are partitioned for partial adopted storage and partial removable storage.
    • Faster I/O performance.
    • Fixed Gapps/aroma freeze issues.

IMPORTANT!!! : READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO FLASHING PROCESS..!!

• At first boot twrp will ask for "Swipe to allow modifications for /system" and if you choose to allow it system partition will get modified. So if you choose to reboot back to OS without performing anything in twrp, the OS won't boot (as verity check is enabled in stock OS/kernel) . To avoid this you have to flash either Magisk or flash any of the verity disabler zips available on xda.
    • Force encryption is enabled by default in stock OS and twrp will successfully decrypt /data at first boot if all goes well
    • If in case decryption doesn't go fine, twrp will popup a dialog box asking for password and that means decryption went wrong and you would need to wipe data once via twrp wipe options and reboot back to twrp for functioning of /data

Flashing Instructions:

Using Existing TWRP:
    Reboot to recovery > Click on Install > Install Image > recovery > select recovery image and flash > reboot to recovery

Other Methods(Fastboot) :
    • Make sure you have unlocked bootloader
    • Reboot to bootloader
    • Enter following command in terminal: fastboot flash recovery twrp-****.img (if you want permanent flash) or fastboot boot twrp-****.img (if you want temporary boot)

Incase your device is encrypted (while coming from stock rom), Follow these steps to decrypt:
    Reboot to recovery > cancel the password prompt > mount all partitions > Format Data/Userdata (on f2fs) > Reboot Recovery > Mount all partitions again > Flash Magisk > Reboot

Now you are free to use Stock ROM (Decrypted) or Flash any custom rom you want. :)

Download Links: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=216298

TWRP Themes: Check 3rd post

Known Issues: None || Report if you find any.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][Sanders] TWRP-3.2.1-r20 (64bit Supported!), Tool/Utility for the Moto G5S Plus

Contributors
    CheckYourScreen
    Source Code: https://github.com/CheckYourScreen/twrp_device_motorola_sanders

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: r20
    Stable Release Date: 2018-04-04

Created 2017-10-26
    Last Updated 2018-04-04
    Updated to 3.2.1-r15..!

Hey fellas!
    Updated to TWRP 3.2.1-r15 with following changes:
    • Added 64bit Support (You can flash both 32bit/64bit roms or kernels with it)
    • Fixed Encryption Support! (No need to format data to decrypt and mount)
    • Remove android reboot during password check on multiple wrong inputs

Added 64bit support so you can flash the upcoming 64bit version of custom roms and kernels.
    No need to format data, twrp will be able to mount encrypted partitions now. :highfive:
    Loading time of twrp might be increased due to necessary features like QSEE loading in TZ(For encryption support) and higher compression modes, so bear the waiting time of extra couple of seconds.
    Happy Flashing! :)
    || Changelog ||

r20:
    • Updated kernel
    • Reverted pigz changes.
    • Switched back to original twrp themes. (TWRP Themes can be found in 3rd post )
    r16:
    • Fixed remote wipe process (Earlier remote wipe issued from play account wasnt processed due to twrp)
    r15:
    • Added 64bit Support (You can flash both 32bit/64bit roms or kernels with it).
    • Fixed Encryption Support! (No need to format data to decrypt and mount).
    • Remove android reboot during password check on multiple wrong inputs.

r9:
    • Fixed F2FS mount issues(You can flash magisk modules or SuperSu now).
    • Enabled NTFS Write Support (You can make backups on sdcard/pendrives formatted on NTFS).
    • Fixed size of various partitions.
    • Switched to LZMA compression to decrease size.

r7: Initial Public Release
    Updated!

Hi folks!
    Updated twrp to r20 with following changelog:
    • Updated kernel
    • Reverted pigz changes.
    You can now switch to custom roms without formatting userdata as encryption support is fixed now.
    Quite alot of changes made up to this release so update to r20 ASAP!! Highly recommended update!
    Updated!

Hi folks!
    Updated TWRP to r16 with following changes: