FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TWRP][montana] Squid TWRP for Moto G5S

1,703 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,911

By squid2, Recognized Developer on 5th November 2017, 03:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is my version of TWRP built for the 2017 Moto G5S. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
  • My original green theme
  • No SuperSU
  • No TWRP app
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img
To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
The download is available on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto G5S, Tool/Utility for the Moto G5S

Contributors
squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/moto8937-twrp

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-17

Created 2017-11-05
Last Updated 2018-08-17
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to squid2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

5th November 2017, 03:40 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 10,911

Donate to Me
More
Squid TWRP 3.1.1-r3
Initial build for montana is up. I expect it to be fully functional, including encryption support. Special thanks to @lohanbarth for testing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squid2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2017, 03:48 PM |#3  
Flag la Valette
Thanks Meter: 975

More
thank you for your work
The Following User Says Thank You to lohanbarth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lohanbarth Ad-Free
11th November 2017, 10:31 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi,

i just flashed your TWRP. The flash was successful, after booting to recovery twrp came up just fine. I wiped /data to decrypt, then rebooted the phone... Now it seems either bootlooping or bricked.
(Of course i unlocked the bootloader before flashing)

The phone just shows the bootloader-screen (blue background, red M-Logo, white letters "powered by android") with a small text in the middle "bad key).
Nothing happens. I cant even shut it down. Holding the power button for 10 seconds seems to start a reboot (screen goes black) but the bootloader-screen immediately shows back up and stays. Theres nothing i can do, no adb/fastboot access either...

Any suggestions?

Edit1:
AH! Pressing VolDown + Power gets me to fastboot/recovery... Phew. Guess i flash the stock rom first before proceeding any further.
Edit2:
Succeeded, nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to nexx2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nexx2 Ad-Free
12th November 2017, 01:57 PM |#5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 378

More
Hi,

I flashed this TWRP. After flashing I went to recovery mode. Format Data failed as /data unknown. Flashed stock ROM. Again flashed TWRP. This time it just bootloops into TWRP recovery. When I power off and ON again, it bootloops and goes into TWRP recovery again and again. Any idea what could be wrong? My guess is I screwed up partition table. But not sure.

Thanks
KS

I went through flashing stock ROM, TWRP once again. After flashing TWRP, I went to recovery repeatedly and did 'Format Data' every time. I flashed Magisk. System booted fine. I verified by power off/on several times. Seems to be working fine.

Thanks
KS
14th November 2017, 09:19 PM |#6  
Flag Coventry
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Thanks for your hard work at bringing TWRP to the MOTO G5s.
It took me a while to install it on my XT1797, as there was some strange message during boot which said

ID: Bad key

But after many many times bricking and unbricking, I am now finally rooted using Magisk.

Hope that we can see some custom Roms for this great device soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sudd1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sudd1976 Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 08:37 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried it with XT1797, but I can not boot and flash twrp.
Is this twrp compatible with XT1797?
20th November 2017, 09:51 AM |#8  
Flag la Valette
Thanks Meter: 975

More
hello, your bootloader and unlock it?
did you enable USB debugging?
that you put the fastboot cmd?
27th November 2017, 06:39 AM |#9  
Flag Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hi . Thx for You job . My phone stil a live But I have a question .

how about this one ? At first boot twrp will ask for "Swipe to allow modifications for /system" and if you choose to allow it system partition will get modified. So if you choose to reboot back to OS without performing anything in twrp, the OS won't boot (as verity check is enabled in stock OS/kernel) . To avoid this you have to flash either SuperSU or flash any of the verity disabler zips there in xda
27th November 2017, 01:22 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAFAŁ

Hi . Thx for You job . My phone stil a live But I have a question .

how about this one ? At first boot twrp will ask for "Swipe to allow modifications for /system" and if you choose to allow it system partition will get modified. So if you choose to reboot back to OS without performing anything in twrp, the OS won't boot (as verity check is enabled in stock OS/kernel) . To avoid this you have to flash either SuperSU or flash any of the verity disabler zips there in xda

What is the question? For me it worked without such vertiy disable stuff. Simply unlock the bootloader, boot and/or flash TWRP, root your phone or do anything else. When TWRP asks to change /system, answer yes.
27th November 2017, 01:47 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Root and TWRP. And a great phone.
Just need some Roms, pray that they will come!
Thank you!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)