This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore.
There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring.
You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B.
Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.
- Do NOT switch slots unless you have installed copy-partitions-AB.zip or manually flashed the bootloader on both the slots:
This device comes out of the box with the bootloader installed only on the active slot (eg: bootloader_a).
Once you manually switch slots, your device will use the other bootloader partition (eg: bootloader_b) which is empty because of this factory setup therefore the device won't be able to boot in any way.
For this reason you should install the bootloader on your own on both the slots with fastboot or copy the currently installed one to the inactive slot by flashing copy-partitions-AB.zip at least once.
- Decryption only works when TWRP is permanently installed.
To temporarily boot this recovery:
fastboot boot twrp-version-build-river.img
- Temporarily boot TWRP
- Put the TWRP image in your external SD Card or, in case you don't have one, push it to /data with adb this way:
adb push twrp-version-build-river.img /data/
- Tap Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk -> Navigate to /data or /external_sd and select TWRP -> Swipe to Install
- If you previously installed Magisk: Select Fix Recovery Bootloop from Advanced to fix/avoid recovery bootloops
- Done! Optionally you can delete TWRP from /data or from your external SD Card now.
TWRP for Moto G7, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin
Last Updated 2019-07-02