FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TWRP for Moto G7 (river)

970 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,818

By Alberto97, Recognized Developer on 14th April 2019, 06:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Unlocked bootloader is required.

This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore.
There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring.
You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B.
Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

Warning:
  • Do NOT switch slots unless you have installed copy-partitions-AB.zip or manually flashed the bootloader on both the slots:
    This device comes out of the box with the bootloader installed only on the active slot (eg: bootloader_a).
    Once you manually switch slots, your device will use the other bootloader partition (eg: bootloader_b) which is empty because of this factory setup therefore the device won't be able to boot in any way.
    For this reason you should install the bootloader on your own on both the slots with fastboot or copy the currently installed one to the inactive slot by flashing copy-partitions-AB.zip at least once.

Note:
  • Decryption only works when TWRP is permanently installed.

Installation
To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-version-build-river.img
To permanently install it:
  • Temporarily boot TWRP
  • Put the TWRP image in your external SD Card or, in case you don't have one, push it to /data with adb this way:
    Code:
    adb push twrp-version-build-river.img /data/
  • Tap Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk -> Navigate to /data or /external_sd and select TWRP -> Swipe to Install
  • If you previously installed Magisk: Select Fix Recovery Bootloop from Advanced to fix/avoid recovery bootloops
  • Done! Optionally you can delete TWRP from /data or from your external SD Card now.

Download
AndroidFileHost

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto G7, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7

Contributors
Alberto97
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2019-04-14
Last Updated 2019-07-02
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Alberto97 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

14th April 2019, 06:07 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 7,818

More
I went insane to figure out decryption was not possible by just fastboot booting the image. I hope the hard work paid off
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alberto97 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2019, 07:03 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
this is a blessing, i was working on twrp as well but hdd fail and it was music to my ears when it was mentioned this post went up in the tele group. so thanks bro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sd86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd86 Ad-Free
14th April 2019, 07:45 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4,561

More
Awesome. Getting mine today now!! )

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MicroMod777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MicroMod777 Ad-Free
14th April 2019, 08:16 PM |#5  

More
So here's my experience so far.
Backup, works just fine, afaik.
Restore, System,etc results in bootloop. Data restore, gets "extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255"

Not sure if this is already known but figured id share what ive experienced. also feel free to tell me if im doing stuff wrong, it's been a while since i messed with android more than just using it.

Edit: This is with it perm installed.
14th April 2019, 09:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is this for all moto g7 versions
15th April 2019, 12:40 AM |#7  
Flag Monticello
Thanks Meter: 94

Donate to Me
More
Hello

Very happy to see we now have TWRP. In the interest of avoiding bootloops though, I'll wait to install until it's more stable

BTW, I don't know if you guys get this, but on a us retail Moto g7 (unlocked bl obv) every time I try to boot an unofficial image I get
Code:
Command failed: remote error ' '
Any idea on what is happening?
15th April 2019, 01:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,130

More
Awesome!

This is exciting stuff. Can't wait to get busy working on it
The Following User Says Thank You to warBeard_actual For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift warBeard_actual Ad-Free
15th April 2019, 02:53 PM |#9  
Flag Monticello
Thanks Meter: 94

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd86

So here's my experience so far.
Backup, works just fine, afaik.
Restore, System,etc results in bootloop. Data restore, gets "extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255"

Not sure if this is already known but figured id share what ive experienced. also feel free to tell me if im doing stuff wrong, it's been a while since i messed with android more than just using it.

Edit: This is with it perm installed.

Does flashing work?

Sent from my moto g(7) using XDA Labs
15th April 2019, 03:11 PM |#10  
Flag Waterville
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto97

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Unlocked bootloader is required.

This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

Decryption only works when TWRP is permanently installed.

Installation
To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-version-build-river.img
To permanently install it:
  • Temporarily boot TWRP
  • Put the TWRP image in your external SD Card or, in case you don't have one, push it to /data with adb this way:
    Code:
    adb push twrp-version-build-river.img /data/
  • Tap Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk -> Navigate to /data or /external_sd and select TWRP -> Swipe to Install
  • If you previously installed Magisk: Select Fix Recovery Bootloop from Advanced to fix/avoid recovery bootloops
  • Done! Optionally you can delete TWRP from /data or from your external SD Card now.

Download
AndroidFileHost

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto G7, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7

Contributors
Alberto97
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2019-04-14
Last Updated 2019-04-14

I followed steps to unlock bootloader, then flashed stock AMZ river. Did a Google restore. Followed steps to install TWRP no issues. Follow steps exactly. Booted into system, no issues. Have not done a backup yet to test. Overall it went perfectly.
Thanks so Much!

Was able to install Magisk through manager. Again all went well and rooted. Successful backup ALSO made through TWRP.
The Following User Says Thank You to lowwater For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lowwater Ad-Free
15th April 2019, 03:32 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcombs262

Does flashing work?

Sent from my moto g(7) using XDA Labs

I didn't test yet, I'm sure someone will and let us know

Edit: Flashing works, tested flashing Magisk 19 via zip and it installed correctly.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)