GCam working on the MoTo G7 (Working, portrait, night sight,video,Pano)

Search This thread
Nov 27, 2019
F1v10.3_7.0.009.apk I noticed this is allot newer build than the original thread post. Is this the best version for the moto G7 and could anyone summarize the setup and tweaks needed to get it fully working and if anything is missing or broke in the build for the G7?

rtomac

Dec 30, 2019
Portland, OR
Moto G7 compatible builds

Hi all, thanks for the good thread here.

I've tested over 20 different builds on the Moto G7, looking specifically for:
- General stability, no crashes during startup or across camera functions
- Doesn't drop pictures during longer background HDR+ processing (an issue with some APKs)
- Slow motion video works (an issue with several APKs, where FPS not configurable)
- Can be activated/used from lock screen
- App icon long-press shortcuts work as intended
- [bonus] Speed of HDR+ background processing is reasonable
- [bonus] Supports "motion" with photos
- [bonus] Supports night mode hint

I've found the following builds to work well and meet expectations for stability, etc.

BSG, 6.2.030, 2019-06-22
MGC_6.2.030_MI9SE_V4_plus2.apk
- Stable, no "motion" for photos, need to remove AF data
- BSG's other "suggested" razor version has a few more options but is a bit more flaky on Moto G7

Parrot043/Bulkin043, 6.2.030, 2019-06-18
MGC_6.2.030_HDRPlusVersion_Bulkin043_V3.apk
- Stable, very clean and feature rich
- Small issue where HDR+ button doesn't take effect until after restart, just disable

san1ty, 6.2.030, 2019-08-16
F1v9.5_6.2.030.apk
- Stable, no "motion" for photos
- More working features than BSG build: lens, HDR+ control

san1ty, 6.2.030, 2019-08-03
Kv1.1.9_6.2.030.apk
- Mostly stable, but slow motion is broken
- Notable because HDR+ background processing is really fast in this build, not sure why but almost reason enough to pick this build

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

In the end, I decided to use this build:

My configuration with this build, for others' reference:
- Back photo res = 12.6MP, front = 8.0MP
- Back video res = 1080p, front = 1080p
- Enable advanced settings
- Lens blur resolution = auto
- HDR+ control = disabled (bug workaround)
- Compress JPG = auto
- Night mode hint = enable
- Apps & notifications, camera, disable background processing notifications
- Apps & notifications, disable stock camera app

nwboater

Jan 2, 2020

- Doesn't drop pictures during longer background HDR+ processing (an issue with some APKs)
- Slow motion video works (an issue with several APKs, where FPS not configurable)

I've found the following builds to work well and meet expectations for stability, etc.

BSG, 6.2.030, 2019-06-22
- BSG's other "suggested" razor version has a few more options but is a bit more flaky on Moto G7

- Small issue where HDR+ button doesn't take effect until after restart, just disable

F1v9.5_6.2.030.apk

Kv1.1.9_6.2.030.apk
- Notable because HDR+ background processing is really fast in this build, not sure why but almost reason enough to pick this build

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

- Compress JPG = auto

Hi rtomac,

Thanks for posting all of these references. I notice they are all version 6.xxx.

I just recently started using GCam on my Moto G7 and have tried several versions. I am now using a version 7 build oJoseHenrick's Gcam_7.0_oJoseHenrick_V2.apk from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81330731&postcount=73 It seems to be working very well although I haven't done any real thorough testing.

I'm wondering if you have tried any V7 builds?

Thanks again for sharing all your research!

Rod

rtomac

Dec 30, 2019
Portland, OR
Hi rtomac,

Thanks for posting all of these references. I notice they are all version 6.xxx.

I just recently started using GCam on my Moto G7 and have tried several versions. I am now using a version 7 build oJoseHenrick's Gcam_7.0_oJoseHenrick_V2.apk from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81330731&postcount=73 It seems to be working very well although I haven't done any real thorough testing.

I'm wondering if you have tried any V7 builds?

Thanks again for sharing all your research!

Rod

Hi @nwboater, I did try a few of the v7 builds and had some initial success with them. I decided not to pursue those since it is (anecdotally) only 7.0 builds that are compatible with Android 9, and those .0 builds seemed to be a beta version. Nothing wrong with all that if it works well...I just decide to focus on v6 for that reason.

nwboater

Jan 2, 2020
Hi @nwboater, I did try a few of the v7 builds and had some initial success with them. I decided not to pursue those since it is (anecdotally) only 7.0 builds that are compatible with Android 9, and those .0 builds seemed to be a beta version. Nothing wrong with all that if it works well...I just decide to focus on v6 for that reason.

Thanks for the reply. There is always a lot of merit in going with something more proven and stable instead of messing around with the 'bleeding edge'! :)

emrod

Feb 11, 2020
VS scan

When I scanned: Gcam_7.0_oJoseHenrick_V2.apk in VirusTotal it returned:

K7GW Spyware ( 005047e71 ) Ad-Aware

According for analize its HEUR:Trojan.AndroidOS.Boogr malicious

Not sure if its safe to use that file.

SgtDork

Jul 14, 2017
I'm having really good luck with this version on G7.

PMGC_7.0.009_Astrophoto_Version_V12.apk

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog807/ IMG_20200109_205501.jpgIMG_20200109_204958.jpg

jman315

Jul 21, 2013
I'm using Arnova8G2's Gcam_6.2.030_Advanced_V2.2.190716.1800-Final.apk and haven't experienced any issues.

n2locarz

Hey guys, with many of us taking the Candy Rom - Android 10 , I'm curous if anyone has a gcam version that gives them good results. Here's what I have so far:

Android: 10
Currently NOT rooted
Gcam_7.0_oJoseHenrick_V2.apk crashes 100%

I'm going to test PMGC_7.0.009_HDR_Version_V13.apk with the motog7river.xml settings -

sdaly31

May 9, 2015
G7 optimo Maxx?

Hey, I have the G7 optimo Maxx. All these apks seem to work well but produce images with pockadots when you zoom in. Anyone else have this phone and found a solution? Thanks!

clintongsan

Jun 5, 2019
Fort Smith, Arkansas, US
Gcam installed and seems to work great but after taking a photo, I go-to view the phone and it says at the top Processing HDR and never stops? I've tried a couple reinstalls... Used to work on my old G7 I can't remember how I fixed it or if I even had this issue. it could very well be isolated to just my device because I see that others have had pretty good success with it

NevArts

Jun 5, 2020
I used this gcam and it worked fine on my G7, now my phone updated to android 10 and the gcam does not process HDR +. The APK no longer works on a G7 motorcycle with Android 10

clintongsan

Jun 5, 2019
Fort Smith, Arkansas, US
I've tried this multiple times on LineageOS 17.1 and AOSP Extended (Android 10) and though the pictures that gcam takes seem to be much better quality, including night mode, HDR seems to freeze on the last 98-99 percent of "Processing HRD" and I have to force close gcam. The AOSP camera is installed (I can't figure out why I can't disable it) so I'm not sure if that's causing the hang up or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I know I used to have this gcam port and all worked just fine, on previous G7 before it was replaced. Thanks in advance!

clintongsan

Jun 5, 2019
Fort Smith, Arkansas, US
I've tried installing this a couple of months ago with success and the app would take great pictures, night sight, etc. But I killededed my g7-river and after many weeks I finally got a replacement from Go. On the new g7, I did successful root and recovery and was running Lineage 17.1 and tried reinstalling gcam again from here. Install was fine but when taking pictures, the app will indicate, after you snap the photo, that it's "processing HDR" at the top, above the newly-snapped photo, and will make progress but stop when the circle animation gets to, seemingly, 100% and it will just stick there, not finishing HDR.
I let it sit at "processing HDR" for several minutes and it doesn't change; I have to force close the app.
I deleted cache and storage.
I am unable to disable the generic AOSP snap camera app as that option is disabled.
I did however allow all permissions for gcam and again clearing cache but no luck.
I suspected maybe gcam was incompatible with LOS so I changed ROMs to AOSP; still the issue persists.

Update, not sure if this is relevant:
I've heard discussion about lineage having issues with trebuchet launcher, if the user installs a larger gapps than say, nano or pico, as the gapps writes the launcher to a specific name that is different than what lineage refers to when trying to fetch the camera app; so trebuchet will continuously just crash. Could this be similar circumstances to the gcam app seemingly not being able to process HDR on DCIM images? Or does lineage OS use AOSP parameters so I should try yet another ROM or perhaps even stock to see if gcam can work successfully again?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks to all of you for your work in development and sharing, being helpful, etc, for everyone. You guys/gals all rock!

Ezequiel977

Jun 22, 2020
It works fine in moto g7 android 10 and the hdr+ is very fast. I was surprised .
Search On YouTube : "testando a Gcam no Moto g7 com Android 10"
AND the versión Is MGC_7.0.009motog8plusV11_1
Sorry my english Is bad xD

won't let me paste links

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Guys.
    Today i got a Moto G7 US retail and i decide to look in my archives for a working GCAM version that work in the moto G7 ,this version work perfect except for the slow motion.
    ?Note: I'm no the creator of this mod,so please all the credits to the original creator.

Download here.
    https://mega.nz/#F!bjwSlYgC!SbJVH20Hko8hHMI76EtaTw
    Moto G7 compatible builds

BSG, 6.2.030, 2019-06-22

F1v9.5_6.2.030.apk

Kv1.1.9_6.2.030.apk

- Compress JPG = auto
    Night sight works surprisingly well, thanks!
    Is there a way to set this as the default camera app ( launching it from the lock screen) ?
    This file is gone. Anyone know where I can get it? Looking for Gcam that will work with my G7 Power.
    Best working Gcams for G7 Power is
    LMC 8.4 R11
    Shamim Gcam V25
    Parrot043 Gcams

And here is discussion thread for G7 Power Gcam.