How to Root MOTO X PLAY XT1562 Running Android 6.0.1

Search This thread

Roadboss2

Feb 11, 2017
Ceylon
It supposed to work but I got xt1562 so I haven't personally checked this on xt1563 so I can't guarantee that. But in the previous thread people rooted their xt1563 using this method.

I have a xt1563 after some effort I got my 20 digit unlock code.
When I power up my phone on fastboot , I don't see the prompt on my computer that it is connected. but phone says it is.
In the command window , I don't seems to be able to get the "fastboot devices" to show its presence.
Does USB debugging needs to be activated ? "OEM unlocking" button ??
Thanks

modex32

Feb 16, 2017
i was halfway there and i first installed supersu and then i remembered that i have forgotten to wipe. so i wiped and its now stuck on booting screen "WARNING BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED". Is there any way that I can get it out of this Loop(=it shuts down and then reboots back at the very same message). Any way I can flash the system.img? Or just make it shut down and just try to boot into recovery.
[EDIT_1]
The battery just died, so I managed to boot in recovery mode by POWER+VOL_DOWN, should i first flash the system.img and do the process from the very beginning?

Last edited:

gourab_das

Feb 13, 2017
Not able to gain root access

Everything worked fine untill flashing Super Su.
After flashing it several times I am still unable to gain root access.
Please help.Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

i was halfway there and i first installed supersu and then i remembered that i have forgotten to wipe. so i wiped and its now stuck on booting screen "WARNING BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED". Is there any way that I can get it out of this Loop(=it shuts down and then reboots back at the very same message). Any way I can flash the system.img? Or just make it shut down and just try to boot into recovery.
[EDIT_1]
The battery just died, so I managed to boot in recovery mode by POWER+VOL_DOWN, should i first flash the system.img and do the process from the very beginning?

Didn't you make a back-up of old system? If not then Boot into recovery and flash any other rom.

gr1ff1n

Jul 27, 2013
Disadvantages of rooting stock ROM

I'm thinking of rooting my phone since it is now out of warranty. I am not really interested in running custom ROMs. Just want to get the benefits of root on the stock ROM (Ad-blocking & some other apps that I'm interested in need root).

I was wondering what are the disadvantages of rooting the Stock ROM?

1.> Will I be losing out on OTA ROM updates?

2.> Any way of preserving the existing app data?
Typically Titanium Backup & other apps need root access to backup. But unlocking boot (to get root) will wipe out existing app data. This creates a chicken & egg problem.

3.> Any Google apps that might refuse to run with root?

4.> I have some recollection about news of mobile payment apps that won't run run with rooted ROMs.
Are any of the Indian mobile payment apps (PayTM, MobiKwik, etc) incompatible with root?

KHEMS91

Sep 14, 2015
Kurud, DMT
I'm thinking of rooting my phone since it is now out of warranty. I am not really interested in running custom ROMs. Just want to get the benefits of root on the stock ROM (Ad-blocking & some other apps that I'm interested in need root).

I was wondering what are the disadvantages of rooting the Stock ROM?

1.> Will I be losing out on OTA ROM updates?

2.> Any way of preserving the existing app data?
Typically Titanium Backup & other apps need root access to backup. But unlocking boot (to get root) will wipe out existing app data. This creates a chicken & egg problem.

3.> Any Google apps that might refuse to run with root?

4.> I have some recollection about news of mobile payment apps that won't run run with rooted ROMs.
Are any of the Indian mobile payment apps (PayTM, MobiKwik, etc) incompatible with root?
Ohhh Man...
U should go back to clean stock rom.

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
- For ad blocking you don't need root. Usually dns66 is fine.

- OTA is only possible after restore boot partition (=unroot), and you may find that some app which required root changed something disabling OTA (alter system). Be careful what you do if you want OTA to be possible.

- mobile payment should work fine if you use Magisk with MagiskSU, but no warranty. Checks get changed.

- if bootloader is already unlocked, there usually is no data loss when rooting

- everything not checking if su exists usually stays the same. Rooting means just that you allow some apps to switch user by calling a binary called su.

Reactions: gr1ff1n

AtomicStryker

Nov 19, 2015
Also note that while root can be hidden using magisk or hidesu, Xposed absolutely cannot. So if you want to use that, you will have to accept breaking Safetynet.

Reactions: gr1ff1n

The_dmj

Mar 31, 2018
Will this work on moto x play running 7.1.1(stock rom)

I have huge doubt this method will work on stock Android 7.1.1 because the bootloader unlocking method in 5.1.1 and 6.0.1 is it different so we'll this workon 7.1.1 or there is other methods. Because if something goes wrong i don't my phone to get break.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Moto X Play owners
    This guide is for those who still don't figure out how to root moto x play running android 6.0.1(stock Rom)
    Old Thread for rooting moto x play is outdated, so decide to write this one with updated steps and links.

As usual I'm not responsible for your bricked device, as Motorola says Unlocking your boot loader is not for the faint of heart. you can't blame anybody but yourself. You will loose your warranty by unlocking your boot loader. and you will loose every data on your phone.

Still want to root your phone, okay fine follow these three steps to root your phone.
    They are 3 Steps involved in this process.
    1, Unlocking the Bootloader
    2, install custom recovery
    3, Install Super SU

Before you begin
    A. Back up all your data. yes you gonna loose entire stuffs on your phone.
    B. Download all the required files from the below links

1.Download and install Motorola USB Drivers
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

2.Download Fast boot and extract it to your hard drive (file attached on this thread)

3.Download TWRP latest version (do not extract)
    http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=17934

4. Download Super SU V. 2.62-3 (do not extract)
    https://download.chainfire.eu/751/SuperSU/

Now you are ready to begin

Step 1 : Unlock Bootloader

1. Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
    2. Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
    3. Head over to the Motorola website to get your unlocking key and follow the steps provided there or follow the same steps provided below.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
    3. Go to the extracted fastboot folder and open a command prompt (ctrl+shift+right click and open command prompt)
    4. At the prompt, type

Code:
    fastboot oem get_unlock_data

The returned string will be used to retrieve your unlock key.

Example: On a Windows Desktop, the returned string format would be
    fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
    (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00
    (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
    (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
    (bootloader) 0000000

copy this from the command prompt and paste in a notepad and remove all (bootloader) and make it string like belwo

0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000

5. Check if your device can be unlocked by pasting this string in the field below, and clicking “Can my device be unlocked?”
    If your device is unlockable, a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button will now appear at the bottom of this page and agree the terms and condition and check your mail box for unlock key

6. copy your unlock code from mail and type the following command to unlock bootloader

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock KEY

replace unlock key with your copied code from mail. Now you will see a unlocked message on your device and your device will reboot. you will see a unlocked bootloader warning with vibration on your phone and you are successfully unlocked your bootloader.

Step 02 Installing custom recovery TWRP

7.Put your device in fastboot mode again (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
    8.Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and Enter.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-lux-3.0.2-r3.img

note that fastboot flash recovery is command and twrp... is our file name so if you are using different version change the name accordingly
    9. Now restart your device using keys in your phone to recovery (make sure your are rebooting in to recovery)
    10.When prompted allow twrp to make changes. And make a back up of your system from the twrp menu
    (do not choose read only, if you choose read only android will erase your recovery next time you reboot and you can not root your phone.)

Step 03 Rooting your phone using Super SU V. 2.62-3

warning : make sure you have a back up of your current system copied to your hard disk or else you can't restore your device if something went wrong.

11. Copy your downloaded super su file to your phone
    12. Unplug your device from computer and restart to recovery
    13. Go to terminal in TWRP - Advanced-Terminal type command in your phone
    Code:
     echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu
    14. flash super su and restart your phone.

Congrats you've rooted your phone successfully .

Now you can install custom rom, xposed modules .... etc
    visit my YouTube channel for more stuffs related to moto x play rooted phones :good:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOcePwMSubyeW0eBWr5SW6Q
    Android 7.0 most stable Custom Rom for Moto x play so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFrOVmCqdk&t=7s
    Before you can enter the unlock code in Fastboot, you have to enable it in the developer options first.
    Should it work on XT1563?
    Should it work on XT1563?

It supposed to work but I got xt1562 so I haven't personally checked this on xt1563 so I can't guarantee that. But in the previous thread people rooted their xt1563 using this method.