FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HowTo] Enabling dual-SIM on single-SIM devices

103 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By jellysheep, Senior Member on 14th October 2015, 10:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
follow the steps below to enable dual-SIM functionality on a single-SIM XT1562 device.

IMPORTANT: Read the following before performing any of the steps below!
  1. This HowTo is only for XT1562 devices. This has been reported to not work on XT1563 devices.
  2. The second SIM in your phone will have an IMEI of "0" (as there was none set during manufacturing). In some countries like the UK, many providers don't allow phones with such an IMEI, so you will not be able to use SIM cards from these providers as your second SIM.
  3. Only one SIM (the one used for data connection) can use 3G/LTE bands. The other SIM card can only use 2G bands (this is a hardware limitation of the device). In some countries like Sweden, some providers sell cards that can only use 3G and not 2G, so you will not be able to use these cards as "secondary" (calls/messages only) SIM.
  4. If you plan to do a Nandroid backup or use Titanium Backup for your data currently on your phone (because you don't want to copy your data by hand) or if you want to flash a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, you will need to unlock your Moto X Play (instructions below). Note that in this case your device warranty will be void.

Here are the steps to enable dual SIM functionality:
  1. If you want, make a backup of all your data. You can copy your files by hand, to not lose your warranty.
    If you don't copy your files by hand but with Nandroid backup or Titanium Backup (to restore app data as well), you will have to unlock your device, and therefore lose warranty (Refer to this guide for unlocking: http://www.gammerson.com/2015/08/ste...to-x-play.html. Note that all your data will be lost, and your device warranty will be void.). In this case, easiest way is to boot up a custom recovery (see this thread) and make a Nandroid backup to an external SD card. Alternatively backup the apps with Titanium Backup and copy the internal SD card files by hand.
  2. Flash a dual-SIM stock firmware: Find a stock firmware that matches your region best on this site (search for "XT1562" and "DS" for dual-SIM). Follow this guide completely for flashing the firmware on your device.
If you are fine with the stock ROM and don't need a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, and you copied your files and data by hand without root, you are now finished and can use your dual SIM phone.
If you want to flash another ROM, or restore a Nandroid backup or Titanium Backup, please continue with the following steps.
  1. Flash your favorite ROM (e.g. @squid2's CM 12.1, it's running great), or stay with the stock ROM.
  2. Unlock your Moto X Play (if not done for the backup before yet): Refer to this guide for unlocking: http://www.gammerson.com/2015/08/ste...to-x-play.html. Note that all your data will be lost, and your device warranty will be void.
  3. If you're on stock ROM, flash a custom recovery (see this thread again) and root your device by flashing SuperSU from the recovery.
  4. Restore your Nandroid or Titanium backup.
  5. If you're not on stock ROM, add the following lines (needs root) to a new file /data/local.prop or append it at the bottom of /system/build.prop:
    Code:
    ro.gsm.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,max_retries=infinite,1000,1000,80000,125000,485000,905000
    persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
    persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
    persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
    I'd prefer the /data/local.prop, as you do not need to make the change on every ROM update.
    If you're on CM 13, you will have to add this line as well:
    Code:
    ro.telephony.ril.config=simactivation
  6. Make sure that either file has read/write permissions 644 and is owned by root:root (with 'chown'). To ensure the r/w 644 permissions, go into the properties of the file (e.g. with ES File Explorer), and check that the file is readable and writable (rw, or 6) by the owner, and readable (r, or 4) for the group and others.
  7. Finally, reboot one last time.

Disclaimer: I do not take responsability for any damage that may be caused to your device or for the warranty that will be void after following this HowTo. Please make sure you have an appropriate device (XT1562) before flashing the dual-SIM stock firmware.

Credits go to @ALD76 for originally posting the build.prop/local.prop modifications above, and to all the testers who risked their devices to try this out and encourage other users. And to @heisert, for mentioning that unlocking is not necessary for flashing official firmwares. And to @GtrCraft, for the local.prop modification line on CM 13.

Have fun and enjoy your dual-SIM phone.
jellysheep
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jellysheep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jellysheep Ad-Free

14th October 2015, 11:50 PM |#2  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 634

More
What is your base model and rom? I have XT1562 on UK rom obviously it's only single sim so for me to get it to work im guessing I would need to flash a base rom that has a dual sim enabled modem such as the Asian rom.

Have you tried this?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ephumuris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ephumuris Ad-Free
15th October 2015, 04:38 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Interested in this also - from the other thread, I think most were successful with the Asian variant (unsure of the EXACT rom name). IMEI will be blank, some have had it work anyway, others not.

I'm interested in this thread now, as the other one was messy, full of "it can't be done" and people discussing removing the plastic, etc... If someone can suggest the exact name of the stock ROM that works and what variant or ROM they had previously, maybe we can get a more definitive answer.
15th October 2015, 09:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysheep

Hi,
many Moto X Play users like @Quasar have reported a working second SIM card after flashing a dual-SIM ROM and/or adding a few lines to build.prop/local.prop:

With the lines above in build.prop, I get the "SIM cards" menu in system settings, however it always reports SIM 2 as empty (though card is inserted that works as SIM 1).
Do you have any ideas how to fully enable the second SIM card?
Thanks, jellysheep

Did you flash the XT1562_LUX_RETASIA_DS_5.1.1_LPD23.118-12_cid7_subsidy-DEFAULT_CFC firmware first ?
15th October 2015, 10:59 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD76

Did you flash the XT1562_LUX_RETASIA_DS_5.1.1_LPD23.118-12_cid7_subsidy-DEFAULT_CFC firmware first ?

No, but I'll try that as soon as the download has finished. Thanks for the hint :thumbup:
19th October 2015, 09:35 PM |#6  
Flag Solothurn
Thanks Meter: 116

More
@jellysheep
Done. CM with DS on a SingleSim Device RetEu.
It's just a question of the right Baserom. I tryed the french Firmware plus the trick from the initial post and it works.

You will lose data connection until you do the trick, so make sure you are in a wlan area to set uo your device.

here is a fast link to the base rom:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxY...p=docslist_api

The trick I mentioned:
Add the following text to your build.prop (it's in the system folder). I didn't test the option with a local.prop .

ro.gsm.data_retry_config=default_randomization=200 0,max_retries=infinite,1000,1000,80000,125000,4850 00,905000
persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-19-22-10-21.png
Views:	3414
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	3512252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-19-22-05-54.png
Views:	3376
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	3512253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-19-22-03-34.png
Views:	3348
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	3512254  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to odysseus84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift odysseus84 Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 02:38 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
@odysseus84: Thanks for the firmware link! :thumbup:
It worked on my german XT1562, and restoring the Nandroid backup (CM12.1) went fine as well. Now I have the same system as before, but with dual sim enabled.
21st October 2015, 05:53 PM |#8  
Flag Solothurn
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysheep

@odysseus84: Thanks for the firmware link! :thumbup:
It worked on my german XT1562, and restoring the Nandroid backup (CM12.1) went fine as well. Now I have the same system as before, but with dual sim enabled.

You're welcome. It is just a bit annoying that we have to reenable DS after a flash. I wasn't able to do it with the local.prop
21st October 2015, 06:00 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus84

You're welcome. It is just a bit annoying that we have to reenable DS after a flash. I wasn't able to do it with the local.prop

You mean after a CM upgrade, when just /system is flashed?
You just have to put the mentioned lines in /data/local.prop, and make sure it has user root:root and permissions 644 (just like build.prop).
The Following User Says Thank You to jellysheep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jellysheep Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 09:54 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Does this need to be done using CM or can it be done with stock rom?? Very intrigued
21st October 2015, 10:11 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestoneman

Does this need to be done using CM or can it be done with stock rom?? Very intrigued

Using the official dual-sim firmware that you flash anyway works fine. Just take care to select the right firmware version (model and region).
EDIT: But you will need root to add the needed lines to build.prop/local.prop.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)