FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[GUIDE] Republic Wireless Moto X (XT1049) Root, Safestrap, TWRP, and Custom ROM

103 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By jbrukardt, Senior Member on 5th December 2013, 02:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Good evening all, after experimenting on my RW XT1049 MotoX a bit, I have successfully rooted, installed Safestrap (laymans term: dual boot), installed a custom ROM, and enabled full recovery on the phone. I also was able to UNDO all this for a return to complete stock.

All steps below are not condoned by republic wireless in any way, and are in violation of your agreement with them. You will immediately void your phones warranty, and your agreement with republic wireless. That said... we're tinkerers, its what we do. Dont blame me, republic wireless, or my dog for anything that bricks, breaks, or exploded. If nuclear war starts because of your actions, its not Republics fault.

All credit goes to Hashcode for safestrap, and jCase for root. All files are located in respective links out of respect for them. If you dont know how to use adb, this guide is not for you.

Now that all thats said, for those not familiar with Safestrap, it is a custom recovery for phones with a locked bootloader, it enables "dual booting" of your phone, meaning that you can keep the stock RW rom (which we now have a raw image of) in your stock ROM slot, but also create up to 4 additional ROM slots for multi booting. I personally have the stock slot which i leave completely alone, a daily custom ROM in slot 1, and an experimental ROM in slot 2.

Now, as to how to do this. You need to complete five steps

Do a complete stock restore of your device using RSDLITE
http://theunlockr.com/2013/11/09/unr...-all-versions/
A) Root using RockMyMoto
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509590
B) Install the Tmobile XT1053 Safestrap
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-re...65-2013-11-13/
C) Perform an immediate back up of your stock rom slot, and get it off your phone as a backup
D) Create as many ROM slots as you like
E) Install the stock ROM back to one of your new ROM slots (NOT STOCK SLOT) and tinker, modify, and mess with it until your hearts content, knowing that you cant brick the device anymore, and you will always have your stock ROM in the STOCK slot.

0) So you learn how, and can do it if you brick your device during this process, do a complete stock restore of your device using the stock image, and RSDlite. If you dont do this, and try to do any of the following steps on an existing cluttered stock rom, i offer no guarantees of any kind

A) Rooting

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

Quote:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress
unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

Quote:

adb push su /sdcard/
adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/
Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

Quote:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222
Run the exploit through telnet

Quote:

dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto
The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

Quote:

adb reboot
Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Quote:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Quote:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

B) Installing Safestrap

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
  • Be Rooted (Look for PWNMYMOTO/RockMyMoto by JCase):
  • RockMyMoto: http://rootzwiki.com...-the-first-ota/
  • PwnMyMoto: http://rootzwiki.com...-miniultramaxx/
  • Make sure in "Settings" -> "Security" you have "Unknown Sources" checked
  • Download the Safestrap APK to your device
  • Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
  • (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
  • Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
  • Reboot into the Write-Protect Off (recovery) Android OS via the safestrap app (if this doesnt show up, you may still be in Write-Protect-Off from the last reboot when you rooted)
  • Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
  • Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
  • From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
  • That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

C) Backup, this is self explanatory. If you dont know how to do a TWRP backup, and you've gotten this far, im amazed nuclear war hasnt started

D) Creating Custom ROM slots
  • Reboot your phone, select recovery
  • Select boot options
  • Select ROM slot 1
  • What size of /data slot should I make? 1GB for testing, 2GB as a small daily ROM and 3GB for a decent heavy use daily ROM.
  • Let it finish
  • Return to Recovery main menu
  • choose restore
  • restore your recent backup to ROM Slot 1
  • Reboot
  • Congratulations, you now have a safestrapped device. Mess with your ROM to your hearts content.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jbrukardt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbrukardt Ad-Free

5th December 2013, 04:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thanks for this. RW user here.

I used the toolkit here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477132

It made rooting idiot proof for me. Any good custom Roms working with RW yet? And can I install modded system apps as a zip in the recovery? (I'm addicted to team blackouts clear apps).

My thanks again.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to EeyoreSyndrome For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EeyoreSyndrome Ad-Free
5th December 2013, 05:36 AM |#3  
LOL oh sure.....I did the old ADB method. I haven't rooted anything in like 2 years. Took me forever. Wish I saw your post!

Oh, now that I have TB installed, should I freeze the update so I don't get KitKat until I have this all figured out? Not that it'll be a rush, since RW says "early 2014"....but I might as well if you think I should freeze it just in case.
5th December 2013, 06:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Does any of this allow for use of a SIM from a carrier other than Republic? I have a buddy looking for an occasional use phone that will be used both here in the US, but also when visiting family in Romania.. he would like to be able to use a romainian SIM while traveling.
The Following User Says Thank You to travisn000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift travisn000 Ad-Free
5th December 2013, 07:46 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 568

More
Great guide, but it probably should be in the General folder rather than the Original Development....I'm guessing an admin will move it!

Thanks for putting this together...I was just debating getting one of these!
6th December 2013, 01:50 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Republic as Sprint uses CDMA for cell-network. The SIM in these phones are for LTE connectivity for data only. And Republic service is for US residents only. (Tho if you travel, as long as you have WiFi everything is gravy, not sure how roaming over there would work though.)
6th December 2013, 05:14 AM |#7  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Wrong section. @The-Hulk or another admin please move this thread when you get a chance.
14th December 2013, 11:04 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thank you for this guide. Would you be able to post/link the moto firmware for our device? The main person's site hosting all these are down.

Edit: Firmware Site is back up. Would be interested in what ROMs you've tried/works.
15th December 2013, 12:04 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellison007

Thank you for this guide. Would you be able to post/link the moto firmware for our device? The main person's site hosting all these are down.

Yeah, I couldn't get the link to work either. I did find a Republic Wireless download for the Moto X on their site, but I'm still not sure if it's the right one.
15th December 2013, 06:20 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
What roms have your flashed?

18th December 2013, 08:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsDF

What roms have your flashed?

I haven't flashed anything yet. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to complete the unroot method using RSD lite before I tried anything else. As far as I can tell, I've found the correct download for the Republic Moto x and I'm going to give it a shot. I'm definitely no expert and I have very limited knowledge about the details of WHY all this stuff works, but I've been successful in rooting and modifying many different phones and tablets (of varying degrees of difficulty) by just carefully and thoroughly studying instructions and forums and following the instructions. Any advice that I could get would be greatly appreciated
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)