How I Achieved Root on 4.4 Dev Edition

Search This thread

overthatscreen

Mar 15, 2010
I know it seems like there's a lot of threads on Rooting already, but I was having the hardest time trying to find the correct thread for me because of the different variants of the Moto X. So I figured I'm not the only lost soul around here and wanted to take help someone else out. So here's I achieved Root after updating to Android 4.4. Keep in mind, Rooting Android 4.4 forced me to Reset my device and clear everything on it. I really didn't have a problem with it because I just got my device on 1/30/14.

1. Unlock the Bootloader
---- I made it easy on myself and followed QBKING77 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxgz7jxRMw
I have been following his tutorials since the days of the old htc EVO, great guy..

2. Install TWRP and SuperSU
---- I followed "" Guide for Unlocked Bootloaders "" by dray_jr http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

There are a few problems here though.

At Step 2: After installing the SDK, to make things easy for me I have always created a folder name "" Android "" at the root of the C drive and copied the SDK contents: eclipse, sdk, SDK Manager.exe, to it. It just makes it easier for me. So it in turn sets my path for the fastboot to C:\android\sdk\platform-tools

At Step 3: Make sure to copy TWRP "" twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img "" along with "" mfastboot.exe "" into the directory that your fastboot.exe is located. In my case it would be the C:\android\sdk\platform-tools directory.

After flashing the Recovery, the command "fastboot reboot recovery" didn't work for me. It doesn't have that command available. Instead, go to your phone and use your Volume Down button to choose Recovery on the Fastboot Menu and use the Volume Up button to select. I repeat, use the Volume Up button to select Recovery. I am so used to using the Power button to select that it kept turning the phone off and rebooting since I still had the USB cable plug into the phone. So learn from my mistake and don't waste your time by pressing the Power button.

Other than that, the rest of the instructions from the above guides worked for me. So thanks to qbking77 and dray_jr for their tutorials.

Jay10826

May 15, 2010
Thanks a lot, this was very helpful...pretty much every other thread in existence had me believing it was much more complicated than this and i wasted many hours before I saw this.

Roland Stone

Mar 12, 2010
Thanks a lot, this was very helpful...pretty much every other thread in existence had me believing it was much more complicated than this and i wasted many hours before I saw this.

Yeah I wish I'd seen this 24 hours ago. I had to figure much of this out myself. I swear it was easier to unlock and root my old GNex than it was to unlock and root my "unlockable" Verizon Developer Edition Moto X!

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Yeah I wish I'd seen this 24 hours ago. I had to figure much of this out myself. I swear it was easier to unlock and root my old GNex than it was to unlock and root my "unlockable" Verizon Developer Edition Moto X!
Well it should have been easier. That was a nexus....

Seriously though, how hard was this? Unlock bootloader given website key and flash TWRP and flash superSU zip. Took like 2 minutes. Of course it could be longer if you needed to figure out the Sdk.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

D

Darth

Maybe I'm wrong....but with the boot loader unlocked....I'm pretty sure rooting this and my N7 was the exact same procedure. ;)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

Roland Stone

Mar 12, 2010
It was just annoying to have to jump through hoops just to GET the Unlock code, which was several lines of gobbledygook that had to be transcribed carefully and then retyped. Some people (like me) aren't conversant with ADB and command windows and such. (Yes I know, maybe people like me shouldn't be rooting around under the hood of our phones.)

larry62

Sep 1, 2012
May end up ordering a GSM Developer Edition tomorrow. I believe it's the same procedure as outlined here. Can someone confirm this.

Gus194

Jun 10, 2012
May end up ordering a GSM Developer Edition tomorrow. I believe it's the same procedure as outlined here. Can someone confirm this.

Yeah, all I did was unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, then installed the SuperSU zip and when I rebooted I was rooted. :)

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
It was just annoying to have to jump through hoops just to GET the Unlock code, which was several lines of gobbledygook that had to be transcribed carefully and then retyped. Some people (like me) aren't conversant with ADB and command windows and such. (Yes I know, maybe people like me shouldn't be rooting around under the hood of our phones.)

Next time copy the cmd text into notepad then copy/paste from there.

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC

christ, you typed out the unlock data? :laugh:

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
^--you can't copy/paste from command line. I did the same thing.

I also agree this was a royal pain in the ass. Took me forever to find this information as well. This is not my first rodeo, btw.

Are you guys downloading and flashing SuperSU separately? Because when I flashed TWRP it advised my phone was not rooted and fixed it when I rebooted. I didn't have to download or flash anything separately. It was incredibly simple...after going through the website for the unlock code of course.

And yes, just like the Nexus devices, unlocking the bootloader automatically does a factory reset and erases all data as a safety precaution.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
...After flashing the Recovery, the command "fastboot reboot recovery" didn't work for me. It doesn't have that command available. Instead, go to your phone and use your Volume Down button to choose Recovery on the Fastboot Menu and use the Volume Up button to select. ...
right fastboot reboot recovery doesn't work.

You could do... fastboot reboot bootloader to get into bootloader instead of messing with holding buttons.

DarkAce22

Oct 5, 2013
I know it seems like there's a lot of threads on Rooting already, but I was having the hardest time trying to find the correct thread for me because of the different variants of the Moto X. So I figured I'm not the only lost soul around here and wanted to take help someone else out. So here's I achieved Root after updating to Android 4.4. Keep in mind, Rooting Android 4.4 forced me to Reset my device and clear everything on it. I really didn't have a problem with it because I just got my device on 1/30/14.

1. Unlock the Bootloader
---- I made it easy on myself and followed QBKING77 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxgz7jxRMw
I have been following his tutorials since the days of the old htc EVO, great guy..

---- I followed "" Guide for Unlocked Bootloaders "" by dray_jr http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

At Step 2: After installing the SDK, to make things easy for me I have always created a folder name "" Android "" at the root of the C drive and copied the SDK contents: eclipse, sdk, SDK Manager.exe, to it. It just makes it easier for me. So it in turn sets my path for the fastboot to C:\android\sdk\platform-tools

At Step 3: Make sure to copy TWRP "" twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img "" along with "" mfastboot.exe "" into the directory that your fastboot.exe is located. In my case it would be the C:\android\sdk\platform-tools directory.

After flashing the Recovery, the command "fastboot reboot recovery" didn't work for me. It doesn't have that command available. Instead, go to your phone and use your Volume Down button to choose Recovery on the Fastboot Menu and use the Volume Up button to select. I repeat, use the Volume Up button to select Recovery. I am so used to using the Power button to select that it kept turning the phone off and rebooting since I still had the USB cable plug into the phone. So learn from my mistake and don't waste your time by pressing the Power button.

Other than that, the rest of the instructions from the above guides worked for me. So thanks to qbking77 and dray_jr for their tutorials.

After i follow the above steps for my GSM Moto X Developer Edition with Android 4.4, will i still be able to get OTA updates as long as I keep the stock ROM ? I like the stock ROM anyways. Also any issues with the hands free "OK Google Now" voice feature after rooting and unlocking bootloader?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Unlock the Bootloader

Well it should have been easier. That was a nexus....

Seriously though, how hard was this? Unlock bootloader given website key and flash TWRP and flash superSU zip. Took like 2 minutes. Of course it could be longer if you needed to figure out the Sdk.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X