FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF][How To] Return to STOCK Recovery (IF rooted) and sideload OTA

3,160 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,606

By KidJoe, Recognized Contributor on 10th February 2015, 01:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
By now, with all the OTA's, unless you are brand new to the 2013 X, you know you have to have stock recovery on your phone for an OTA Update or Soak Test to install, and your system can't be modified too much or it will fail the pre-flash validation checks built into the OTA.zip. (i.e. there is a manifest file that checks for specific files and their check sums before it will flash the ota).

If you have an unlocked bootloader, and rooted by flashing a 3rd party recovery (like TWRP, CWM, Philz, etc) and installing SuperSU, you likely didn't put stock recovery back on your phone.

IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.

The steps in this post help you do that, or get ready to do that, in case you are not near your PC when an OTA comes, of if you just don't want to use your PC.

NOTE: If you have changed too much of stock that the OTA fails, please see -> [FAQ] How to prepare for and take an OTA update (All Carriers)

NOTE: the following worked when updating 4.4 to 4.4.2, and 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 on my VZW Dev Edition X. Since Lollipop has not yet been released for my phone, I can't test this yet.

Note: If you have flashed your phone with another carrier's ROM, or have only flashed "parts" of your phone, these steps may not work!! Or they may cause you to brick!
NOTE: If your Bootloader version does NOT match the one for your phone's software version, taking an OTA could brick your phone!

You must have an Unlocked Bootloader and be rooted for these steps to work:

Obtain the STOCK Moto Recovery image, and TWRP image, for your phone:
  1. On you phone, go App Drawer -> Settings... Make note of what is listed under System Version, and Android Version.
  2. Visit one of the sites listed in -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...-roms-t2923347 and obtain the EXACT same ROM/SBF file that is currently on your phone. Download the ZIP to your PC.
  3. Unzip or extract the RECOVERY.IMG file from the SBF ZIP file.
  4. Download the latest TWRP Recovery from -> http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/234 (under the Download-Fastboot heading)
  5. the latest SuperSU from -> http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu or the latest CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1538053

Flashing Recovery
  1. Place your stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, and the latest SuperSU.zip in your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
  2. Install Rashr.
  3. On your phone, launch Rashr.
  4. Scroll down and select other from storage
  5. Browse and select your stock recovery
  6. When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
  7. Your device should reboot and display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
    Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key. You should be in Stock recovery now.
  8. Reboot your phone as normal.
To reflash TWRP or other custom recovery, as long as you are still rooted, you can repeat the same steps, selecting your custom recovery in step 5.

How to SIDE LOAD an OTA.ZIP via this process

If your carrier has started the push of the OTA ZIP for your phone, but you haven't received it, and you've found the correct OTA ZIP posted online and would like to flash it, the following steps can be used...
  1. Download the OTA ZIP file (usually named as BLUR_XXX.XXX.XXX.zip, where XXX.XXX.XXX is the build number the ZIP will update) to your phone's /SDCard
  2. Perform steps 1-7 under Flashing Recovery above to flash STOCK recovery onto your phone, and reboot into Stock Recovery.
  3. Use the Vol Down key to scroll to Apply Update From SDCard, and press the Power key to select.
  4. Use Vol Down key to scroll to your OTA zip file, and press Power to select.
  5. The install will begin by verifying the update package, then verifying files on your phone match.
  6. If the install fails, it will be reported on the screen, along with why. (usually because you have modified system files, or are not on the correct ROM version). You need to fix these errors and try again.
  7. If verifications are successful, the patching process steps will begin. This may take several minutes.
  8. Your phone should report Script Succeeded and Install from sdcard Complete.
  9. Ensure Reboot System Now is highlighted, and press the Power key to reboot the phone.
  10. The initial reboot may take longer than a regular reboot.
    Note: You will see Android Is Upgrading or Optimizing screen during the boot process, that is normal.
  11. After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.
If you lost root, reboot into TWRP recovery and install SuperSU.zip

How to Root with unlocked bootloader...

If you unlocked your bootload by getting the code from Moto, after taking the OTA you may root by following ->http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217 NOTE: while the thread is titled for 5.1, it works on older Android versions as well.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidJoe Ad-Free

11th February 2015, 01:25 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Wink
Good work KidJoe
18th March 2015, 06:47 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA

More
I guess this will be more relevant as Soaks start heading out for the 2013 X...
18th March 2015, 07:01 PM |#4  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Good post. Can I use the same process on MotoX 2014 pure? I have turned Moto OTA to get rid of constant "update available" notification, if I turn that back on, do you know where the OTA zip file is downloaded (i'm thinking cache )
18th March 2015, 07:07 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks73417

Good post. Can I use the same process on MotoX 2014 pure? I have turned Moto OTA to get rid of constant "update available" notification, if I turn that back on, do you know where the OTA zip file is downloaded (i'm thinking cache )

Yes, the OTA zip is usually stored in /cache (at least is is on the 2013 X, and my past Moto phones). it is usually named for the rom it is upgrading, not what the upgrade takes you to.

I don't see why this wont work on the 2014 X, as it did on older motos too.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidJoe Ad-Free
18th March 2015, 08:14 PM |#6  
Flag Bhopal
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Brother i got Motorola updates services update today. I will try your method once there will be available ota. And can you tell me how to backup my whole rom?

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app
19th March 2015, 06:10 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonofgod

Brother i got Motorola updates services update today. I will try your method once there will be available ota. And can you tell me how to backup my whole rom?

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app

In TWRP you can make a nandroid backup. I've never done it. I haven't had need because I run stock. If I need to reflash, I just reflash the same SBF I've been running.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidJoe Ad-Free
21st March 2015, 02:40 AM |#8  
Flag Northern New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I followed the instructions in the OP to return to stock recovery, then applied the OTA update Blur_Version.213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US, but am failing with this message
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh has unexpected contents
I haven't knowingly modified any system files, although I am rooted. Any thoughts about what this error might mean and how to resolve it?
21st March 2015, 04:47 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlmd

I followed the instructions in the OP to return to stock recovery, then applied the OTA update Blur_Version.213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US, but am failing with this message
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh has unexpected contents
I haven't knowingly modified any system files, although I am rooted. Any thoughts about what this error might mean and how to resolve it?

What ROM is on you phone to start with? On your phone go App Drawer -> Settings -> About.. tell me the Android Version, System Version and Build Number. Also what model X do you have?

213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US is an XT1053 4.4.4 update file for the XT1053 if I'm not mistaken. It is meant to be applied to a 4.4.3 stock rom, and it might apply to a 4.4.2 stock rom..

The OTA file will fail its pre-flash validation checks if you are not on the intended stock rom.
21st March 2015, 04:57 AM |#10  
Flag Northern New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

What ROM is on you phone to start with? On your phone go App Drawer -> Settings -> About.. tell me the Android Version, System Version and Build Number. Also what model X do you have?

213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US is an XT1053 4.4.4 update file for the XT1053 if I'm not mistaken. It is meant to be applied to a 4.4.3 stock rom, and it might apply to a 4.4.2 stock rom..

The OTA file will fail its pre-flash validation checks if you are not on the intended stock rom.

Thank you. I'm embarrassed that I didn't perform sufficient due diligence. I am already on the same system version as the update (213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US ), which I mistakenly thought was to get to Lollipop from 4.4.4.
The Following User Says Thank You to ejlmd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ejlmd Ad-Free
21st March 2015, 05:07 AM |#11  
Flag Mexico D.F.
Thanks Meter: 1,060

Donate to Me
More
there any way to make a dump the stock recovery in Lollipop, without the need root?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)