If you have an unlocked bootloader, and rooted by flashing a 3rd party recovery (like TWRP, CWM, Philz, etc) and installing SuperSU, you likely didn't put stock recovery back on your phone.
IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.
The steps in this post help you do that, or get ready to do that, in case you are not near your PC when an OTA comes, of if you just don't want to use your PC.
NOTE: If you have changed too much of stock that the OTA fails, please see -> [FAQ] How to prepare for and take an OTA update (All Carriers)
NOTE: the following worked when updating 4.4 to 4.4.2, and 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 on my VZW Dev Edition X. Since Lollipop has not yet been released for my phone, I can't test this yet.
Note: If you have flashed your phone with another carrier's ROM, or have only flashed "parts" of your phone, these steps may not work!! Or they may cause you to brick!
NOTE: If your Bootloader version does NOT match the one for your phone's software version, taking an OTA could brick your phone!
You must have an Unlocked Bootloader and be rooted for these steps to work:
Obtain the STOCK Moto Recovery image, and TWRP image, for your phone:
- On you phone, go App Drawer -> Settings... Make note of what is listed under System Version, and Android Version.
- Visit one of the sites listed in -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...-roms-t2923347 and obtain the EXACT same ROM/SBF file that is currently on your phone. Download the ZIP to your PC.
- Unzip or extract the RECOVERY.IMG file from the SBF ZIP file.
- Download the latest TWRP Recovery from -> http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/234 (under the Download-Fastboot heading)
- the latest SuperSU from -> http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu or the latest CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1538053
- Place your stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, and the latest SuperSU.zip in your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
- Install Rashr.
- On your phone, launch Rashr.
- Scroll down and select other from storage
- Browse and select your stock recovery
- When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
- Your device should reboot and display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key. You should be in Stock recovery now.
- Reboot your phone as normal.
How to SIDE LOAD an OTA.ZIP via this process
If your carrier has started the push of the OTA ZIP for your phone, but you haven't received it, and you've found the correct OTA ZIP posted online and would like to flash it, the following steps can be used...
- Download the OTA ZIP file (usually named as BLUR_XXX.XXX.XXX.zip, where XXX.XXX.XXX is the build number the ZIP will update) to your phone's /SDCard
- Perform steps 1-7 under Flashing Recovery above to flash STOCK recovery onto your phone, and reboot into Stock Recovery.
- Use the Vol Down key to scroll to Apply Update From SDCard, and press the Power key to select.
- Use Vol Down key to scroll to your OTA zip file, and press Power to select.
- The install will begin by verifying the update package, then verifying files on your phone match.
- If the install fails, it will be reported on the screen, along with why. (usually because you have modified system files, or are not on the correct ROM version). You need to fix these errors and try again.
- If verifications are successful, the patching process steps will begin. This may take several minutes.
- Your phone should report Script Succeeded and Install from sdcard Complete.
- Ensure Reboot System Now is highlighted, and press the Power key to reboot the phone.
- The initial reboot may take longer than a regular reboot.
Note: You will see Android Is Upgrading or Optimizing screen during the boot process, that is normal.
- After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.
How to Root with unlocked bootloader...
If you unlocked your bootload by getting the code from Moto, after taking the OTA you may root by following ->http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217 NOTE: while the thread is titled for 5.1, it works on older Android versions as well.