FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

XT1053 222.27.5 Stagefright OTA Update Guide

485 posts
Thanks Meter: 293

By mastarifla, Senior Member on 25th September 2015, 02:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It seems like there needed to be a thread dedicated to the issues that users have been seeing with this recent OTA, as it seems like there has been a few problems with updating if you ever used Motorola's Stock 5.1 Image, I'll begin by listing the steps necessary to successfully apply the OTA update regardless of what software version you are currently running, there is also a TWRP System Image for those of you who don't want to go through the fastboot process or return to stock

Official OTA Update Procedure
1) Use TWRP and make a full backup, then connect your phone to your computer and transfer the backup files to your computer
2) Reboot your phone into the bootloader, either by doing adb reboot-bootloader or the physical key combination (power off then press and hold the power and volume down key for ~4 seconds)
3) Download the Stock 5.1.0-LPA23.12-15.0 Image from here, do NOT use Motorola's Recovery Image to do this procedure, it will fail, as the hashes are not what the OTA is expecting for the system.img, and extract the contents to a folder on your computer
4) Download the OS relevant attached mfastboot zip and unzip the contents to the same folder on your computer (if you are having issues with mfastboot try reefuge's version and see if it helps!)
5) Open up a command prompt in the directory and use the following commands to flash the 5.1 Stock Image, erasing the userdata partition is not required but it is highly recommended, as you can easily restore the TWRP data partition after doing these steps if you want your personal data back
Code:
not required, but recommended!
mfastboot erase userdata
required
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase customize
mfastboot erase clogo
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot reboot-bootloader
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot -P flash system system.img
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot reboot
6) Reboot your phone and do your initial 5.1 phone setup, and then immediately check for System Updates
7) Download the OTA and select to install the OTA
8) Rejoice in your completed OTA update, if the update fails to install, upload the recovery logs (or tell us the problem) and we will try to help!
9) You can now install TWRP and root if desired, and restore your TWRP data backup if you erased it beforehand

TWRP System Image
The TWRP System Image can be used instead of trying to apply the OTA update, this is a backup of my own phone's system partition after doing the OTA update, so it's already on 222.27.5...

Alright, after quite a bit of time uploading...

Here is the TWRP System Image

1) Download the Stagefright System 222.27.5 TWRP backup from the above link
2) Unzip the Stagefright System 222.27.5 folder to your computer
3) Copy the Stagefright System 222.27.5 folder to your phones internal storage, to the TWRP/BACKUPS/TA0000008VJ/ directory
4) Reboot your phone into recovery (TWRP)
5) Click Restore and select the Stagefright System 222.27.5 folder
6) Verify that the System partition is selected and then Swipe to Restore
7) Clear your cache
8) Boot into system and enjoy the new patch

_
Attached Files
File Type: zip windows mfastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (260.0 KB, 1342 views)
File Type: zip linux mfastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (220.0 KB, 254 views)
File Type: zip osx mfastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (86.8 KB, 232 views)
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to mastarifla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastarifla Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 02:58 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

Donate to Me
More
Obligatory initial post

If this guide helped you at all, please show your support by either donating or telling people about how they can fix their device, pay it forward!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mastarifla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastarifla Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 04:19 PM |#3  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 30

Donate to Me
More
Please forgive me for being paranoid and not immediately running out and flashing some random OS image off the internet without first asking: what's the provenance of this OS image?
The Following User Says Thank You to vtluu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vtluu Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 04:57 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtluu

Please forgive me for being paranoid and not immediately running out and flashing some random OS image off the internet without first asking: what's the provenance of this OS image?

The image is a Motorola signed Image, it's just not the same one that they have listed on the Recovery page, here is the details from the factory version info file inside the zip

Code:
BUILD REQUEST INFO:
SW Version: ghost_retail-user 5.1 LPA23.12-15 15 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_23255.138.89.00R
MBM Version: 30.BE
Modem Version: MSM8960PRO_BP_23255.138.89.00R
FSG Version: ONEBIN_BP_FSG_2.3.03_v127
Build Fingerprint: motorola/ghost_retail/ghost:5.1/LPA23.12-15/15:user/release-keys

VERSION INFO FOUND UNDER 'ABOUT PHONE' SCREEN:
System Version: 222.21.15.ghost_row.Retail.en.US
Model number: Moto X
Android Version: 5.1
Baseband Version: MSM8960PRO_BP_23255.138.89.00R
Build Number: LPA23.12-15
Build Date: Sat May  9 01:44:45 PDT 2015

OTHER MISC VERSION INFO:
Subsidy Lock Config: None
Blur Version: Blur_Version.222.21.15.ghost_row.Retail.en.US
Version when read from CPV: ghost_retail-user 5.1 LPA23.12-15 15 release-keys
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastarifla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastarifla Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 05:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I can confirm that the stock image linked in the original post actually allows the update to succeed. I originally tried flashing the "official" firmware (TMO_Retail_XT1053_5.1_LPA23.12-15.222.21.15.ghost_row.Retail.en.US.tgz) from Motorola's site , since I had used firmware from Motorola's page to go back to stock for previous OTAs successfully, but the Stagefright OTA failed to install over that "stock" version. After flashing over to the image from motofirmware.center (GHOST_RETAIL_5.1_LPA23.12-15_cid9_CFC.xml.zip), the OTA installed smoothly. Looks like someone at Motorola made a mistake with the Lollipop 5.1 firmware they uploaded to their official page.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alamei For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alamei Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 07:05 PM |#6  
Flag San Jose, CA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastarifla

The image is a Motorola signed Image, it's just not the same one that they have listed on the Recovery page, here is the details from the factory version info file inside the zip

Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: false alarm about LTE functionality deleted, my bad. Happy flashing!
25th September 2015, 07:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Sorry for posting again, but would it be possible to create a zip file for this OTA that will flash in TWRP?
25th September 2015, 08:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtluu

Thanks for the clarification.

Warning: it looks like I might have lost LTE support on T-Mobile US after applying the above flash (it shows me using HSPA+). Could be a false alarm or me being clueless. Will edit this post once I've verified one way or the other.

EDIT: confirmed, after putting back the image I got from the official Motorola page, I see "LTE" once again under "Cellular network type" in "SIM status", whereas with the above image it said "HSPA+". There might be a way of mixing and matching the radio firmware to fix that, but I haven't tried. At this point I think I'll just sit tight and wait for an update to the update from Moto.

T-Mobile default's data to HSPA+, then once you start using data it "revs up" to LTE, this is a network topology thing

You could also use the dialer code (*#*#4636#*#*) to verify that your preferred network type is set correctly, mine is set to LTE/GSM auto (PRL)
The Following User Says Thank You to mastarifla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastarifla Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 08:16 PM |#9  
Flag San Jose, CA

Donate to Me
More
Thanks. Will try again. (The most painful part being having to wait 15-20 minutes for ART to recompile my 109 apps after each reflash.)

UPDATE: all good. And the OTA update worked as well.
25th September 2015, 08:28 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCompNetSys

Sorry for posting again, but would it be possible to create a zip file for this OTA that will flash in TWRP?

I think all that has to be done for that is to remove the fingerprints from the flash script right?

If so, here you can try this version in TWRP... I didn't remove the patch hash checks, so if you used the Motorola Image you will still fail when flashing
Attached Files
File Type: zip update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.21 MB, 450 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mastarifla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mastarifla Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 09:33 PM |#11  
Flag Texas!
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastarifla

I think all that has to be done for that is to remove the fingerprints from the flash script right?

If so, here you can try this version in TWRP... I didn't remove the patch hash checks, but theoretically they could be removed, but that seems quite risky...

I just tried it and it failed to install with TWRP. Bummer! Thanks for trying.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
222.27.5, ota, stagefright, xt1053

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)